Newly Rooted: Please Review What I've Done So Far...

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi guy...I feel like this could be a nice reference for others who are rooting for the first time. I want to run by you guys all I've done since I rooted my phone to make sure I'm doing the right thing as of now...and then you guys can potentially tell me what my next steps could/will be. I appreciate all the help I have gotten from these forums over the past few months. You guys are great.

12/1/2010:
- Rooted my phone with z4root
Initially had an issue (phone reset on its own during the z4root process), but the second time I did it, it worked fine.
- Downloaded the following Apps:
  • Titanium Backup (backed up my apps)
  • Milestone Overclock
  • CPU Tuner
  • Wireless Tether
  • AdFree
  • MinFreeManager
  • CacheMate
  • drocap2
  • Webkey

After downloading these apps and backing up my apps/settings with Titanium, I have the following settings for the following apps (Now this is the important part, please confirm these settings for me!)

- MinFreeManager
  • Foreground App (mb) - 6
  • Visible App (mb) - 12
  • Secondary Server (mb) - 16
  • Hidden App (mb) - 82
  • Content Provider (mb) - 90
  • Empty App (mb) - 98

- Milestone Overclock
  • 1200MHz
  • 70 vsel

- CPU Tuner
  • Normal - Governor: ondemand 1200MHz
  • Screen Off - Governor: ondemand 600MHz (I'd like to go lower, but it wont allow me to go any lower)

So guys, am I doing all the right things? What would you change? What should I dive into next? Thank you so much!

Last edited:

javroch

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
70vsel? You're going to kill your battery life. Try lowering that. And, what "CPU Tuner" are you talking about? SetCPU?

javroch

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
You should really be balancing a high frequency with as low a voltage as you can find, in general. I have my cpu set to scale from 1.15GHz/60vsel down to 400MHz/50vsel with and I should probably lower the vsels more too. 70's not THAT high as stock is 1GHz/66vsel I believe, but I'd bet you could lower it and save battery life rather than eat it. It's the voltage that kills your battery not the speed.

SetCPU also lets you define rules of when it should drop the cpu down, etc based on screen, battery life, or temperature sensors. I've personally never heard of CPU Tuner or anybody using it. Everyone I know uses SetCPU. They seem similar though.

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
You should really be balancing a high frequency with as low a voltage as you can find, in general. I have my cpu set to scale from 1.15GHz/60vsel down to 400MHz/50vsel with and I should probably lower the vsels more too. 70's not THAT high as stock is 1GHz/66vsel I believe, but I'd bet you could lower it and save battery life rather than eat it. It's the voltage that kills your battery not the speed.

SetCPU also lets you define rules of when it should drop the cpu down, etc based on screen, battery life, or temperature sensors. I've personally never heard of CPU Tuner or anybody using it. Everyone I know uses SetCPU. They seem similar though.

How do you set it to scale in the Milestone Overclock app? I can't figure that out. I can just set one setting and that's it.

Mandoo

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I tried CPU tuner and it was not working like setCPU does It kept forcing my cpu back to 1000 instead of 400 at idle. I deleted it and paid the small fee for setcpu and all is well!

If you check the compatibility setting on the CPU tuner app I bet you show a conflict? I did and that was a huge problem!

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried CPU tuner and it was not working like setCPU does It kept forcing my cpu back to 1000 instead of 400 at idle. I deleted it and paid the small fee for setcpu and all is well!

If you check the compatibility setting on the CPU tuner app I bet you show a conflict? I did and that was a huge problem!

The only issue it shows is the Min Frequency write

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi. I just rooted for the first time yesterday and am figuring this stuff out too. I installed Milestone and can overclock my Droid X and set the Max and vsel. But how do I set the vcel in SetCPU, which I also downloaded? I don't see a place to do it. Thanks!

javroch

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
SetCPU has nothing to do with setting the vsel's. You set up your cpu's scaling and then you use SetCPU to govern when to throttle down / up your cpu between these scaling settings. I don't use the overclock app so I can't really help you out with that. I'm assuming that it's setting it up for you and just not telling you. I use jrummy's overclock.sh overclocking script which does a lot of this for you very easily. Not the app, the terminal script, which came pre-installed with Fission.

ambrodsky

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Gotcha, thanks! I don't see much difference in speed in the real world from 1 to 1.2GHz anyway, so I'll probably just go back to the stock settings.