*DISCLAIMER: CHANGING PERMISSIONS TO APPS CAN POTENTIALLY BRICK YOUR PHONE! PLEASE TAKE CAUTION BEFORE MESSING WITH THE SETTINGS!*

I recently had a dilemma where I had removed bloatware with Root Explorer and was unable to reinstall the bloatware even though I had correctly moved the files back to the correct folder (system/app). The issue lied in the correction of the permissions to the apks and odexs that were changed by default when moved to the sdcard with Root Explorer.

After scouring the Google, I found the solution in another forum and everything is working perfectly now. I will summarize the steps and include the link to the forum to give the man his props for putting the solution out there for noobs like myself to figure it out. Not to say it already doesn't exist here, I just couldn't find it.

Step 1: When in Root Explorer, go to the folder where you store the apps you removed from the phone.

Step 2: Select all the apps and move them to the system/app directory in your phone. The system/app directory will need to be in "r/w" not "r/o" in order to paste the apps in the directory.

Step 3: After pasting the apps back into the folder you will need to go to each app you removed and change its permissions (this is to include odexs). In order to do this, long-press the app until the menu options appear. Select permissions and ensure that you change them to the following; User Read, User Write, Group Read, Others Read. No other boxes should be checked except for those specific ones. Do this process until you change the permissions for all necessary apps.

Step 4: Before exiting the system/app directory, change the "r/w" back to "r/o" and exit Root Explorer.

Step 5: Reboot phone to see the changes reflected

And that's it. I'm sure this is redundant information for some, but to others new to the game, this hopefully will help them out if the issue arises.

(Note: After rebooting for the first time, my phone was stuck on the motorola logo and scared the crap out of me. After a battery pull and a second attempt, everything worked perfectly)

Thanks to humungus at androidforums.com for the much needed help:

How to reinstall system apps _as_ system apps. - Android Forums
    12-04-2010 10:35 PM
    Good info to have, but I will usually just rename them to disable them and I haven't had any issues just naming them back to restore them. Thanks!
    12-04-2010 10:57 PM
    Good info to have, but I will usually just rename them to disable them and I haven't had any issues just naming them back to restore them. Thanks!
    +1 (Amen)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    12-05-2010 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD