New To Root: Whats the process to get the OTA?

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I just recently updated my phone. Once the new OTA is out, what should I do? Backup, unroot and update? Is there anything else I need to do like wiping? Also, will I need to wait to root again after getting the OTA? Sorry for the dumb questions guys. I just want to do things right.

xliderider

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
IMO, it isn't worth all the trouble to unroot and return your device to stock just to get an OTA update. The developers always come through in a day or two with rooted versions of the update to load on your device.

In many cases, the developers make changes (for the better) to OEM software, then release it. ;)

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Chances are the update will break root so you will have to root again.

When we updated from 2.1 to 2.2, I un-rooted and the update proceeded with no trouble. I still had the root application installed on my phone. If you have used your root access to remove bloatware, you'll need to put it back.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I haven't had root long and don't wanna give it up , hopefully by having some Vzw bloated froze with titanium backup pro i won't get it and won't defrost those programs til there is a root for it

Sent using TaPaTaLk

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
IMO, it isn't worth all the trouble to unroot and return your device to stock just to get an OTA update. The developers always come through in a day or two with rooted versions of the update to load on your device.

In many cases, the developers make changes (for the better) to OEM software, then release it. ;)

+1 !