I installed the .340 update and it's fine. Now I can't get root back. I originally rooted via the 1-click batch file method at the top of the Androidcentral.com DX Root Forum. worked great. Now I'm trying to re-root after my update to 2.2.1 and z4root won't root. It goes through the process, says it's successful and reboots. But then my root apps say they can't get root access. I do have the Superuser Permissions ninja icon but it appears I'm not really rooted. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to be able to just use z4root. BTW- I tried bot the temp and perm options. Neither works. Thanks!
    12-10-2010 09:22 AM
    I am in the same boat. Been trying since last night and have asked several questions on this board but no one has answered them.
    12-10-2010 09:31 AM
    I wish I could help you both, but it is weird that z4 worked for some people after the update and not others. Did you update OTA or by downloading the update.zip? Did you make any system changes that didn't get reversed (like removing bloat without reinstalling, or freeze apps/change file names without unfreezing/renaming) before before updating? Had you been running any of the leaked updates before getting the official updates? Do you flash ROMS/themes? What about any overclocking/undervolting? Did you download z4root from the market when it was available or get it somewhere else?

There has to be some reason it works for some & not others.

I know it doesn't help but I can only speak from my experience. I had always kept my phone stock. I updated from 2.1>2.2 OTA when it was available. I rooted with z4root when I got it from the market about a month ago. I only rooted to run root apps. I never removed any bloat (other than NFS Shift that came with Froyo and wasn't blocked from being uninstalled the usual way). I have never ran any leaked updates. I was one of the few that got the 2.2.1 update early Wednesday morning. I didn't unroot or uninstall any root apps before I updated. The update did cause me to lose root, but it very quickly was able to reroot using the same z4root that I already had in my app list from when I initially downloaded it in the market before it was pulled.
    12-10-2010 09:54 AM
    I only had stock 2.2 on my phone. Only rooted to run root apps. I did delete NFS Shift bloatware and VZ Navigator. I also installed the update via the update.zip since I was one of the people that should have got it from Motorola for the test but did not. I didn't freeze or rename anything. All pretty stock except for previsouly having root via 1-click method. no themes or other roms.
    12-10-2010 10:24 AM
    I only had stock 2.2 on my phone. Only rooted to run root apps. I did delete NFS Shift bloatware and VZ Navigator. I also installed the update via the update.zip since I was one of the people that should have got it from Motorola for the test but did not. I didn't freeze or rename anything. All pretty stock except for previsouly having root via 1-click method. no themes or other roms.
    Did you not put VZ Navigator back on first? When I go to Menu>Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>All>VZ Navigator, I see the uninstall button grayed out, meaning that is one of the bloat apps you are supposed to have back on before making system updates. Maybe it has something to do with the update.zip file instead of waiting for the OTA which came out again today.
    12-10-2010 10:46 AM
    z4root 1.3 worked perfectly for me, did you unroot before you updated also I made sure to restore to default Bootstrapper backup before updating and removed root and was able to root without issues, I would suggest that youbackup and hard reset because I believe there is setttings still present that may be causing this issue.

Also did you make sure to remove Deodexed files and thems before updating? I have noticed most issues comes from changes that was made during a previouse rooting..
    12-10-2010 10:54 AM
    I had this exact same issue. review this link: http://forum.androidcentral.com/moto...e-2-2-1-a.html

Here is what helped me in the end.

I had to use a SBF file to flash it back to original status and then run z4root a couple times and then it finally went though and i was rooted.
    12-10-2010 11:45 AM
    Z4root worked for me the first time around, as did the update.
    12-10-2010 04:49 PM
    Mine worked the first time around as well. None of the other root options worked by Z4root worked the first time for me.
    12-10-2010 09:16 PM
    Just wanted to mention, I had problems with z4root (downloaded from XDA; didn't appear in Market). I had just gotten the phone and did the update to 2.2 from inside system menu in settings. Z4root opened and started working, but then after trying to initiate root shell it crashed. So, I tried Superoneclick (most recent version from XDA, 2.1.1) and it worked fine.
    09-19-2011 11:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD