Forgive my rooting ignorance, but...

john_5_24

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok, so I'm ready to root. Don't want to do anything to out there, basically just get rid of the bloatware and enable the wifi hotspot. I've read that the z4root method is the easiest way to go. Is this true? If so, where exactly do I get z4root?

Thanks in advance.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
A better way to go on the bloatware subject is to buy the paid version of Titanium Backup and "Freeze" any apps that you don't want to run. Then, they are still there if you need them for an OTA upgrade.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
yes, as a lot of people found out with the latest update, do not delete your bloatware. as grey said, freeze it with titanium or rename it with root explorer.

shanesol

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I've actually heard that z4root doesn't work anymore. I saw a couple threads about people having trouble with it over at droidforums.net

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

john_5_24

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I've actually heard that z4root doesn't work anymore. I saw a couple threads about people having trouble with it over at droidforums.net

I used it, sideloaded it because it isn't in the market, and am currently rooted. Purchased titanium backup and froze bloat. Installed wireless tether and am running as a hotspot. All done in 20 minutes. Amazing how easy it is. Now I'm tempting myself as to how far I want to go :) ....

J T M

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I used it, sideloaded it because it isn't in the market, and am currently rooted. Purchased titanium backup and froze bloat. Installed wireless tether and am running as a hotspot. All done in 20 minutes. Amazing how easy it is. Now I'm tempting myself as to how far I want to go :) ....

Overclock and then install ApeX 1.3. ;)

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site

I just used it this past weekend and had no issues. Worked first time for me.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site

z4root works perfectly for me and if you want a blurless rom after rooting do a nandroid backup with Bootstrap Recovery and install Darkslide Blurless ROM from [ROM] DarkSlide v4 this is what I am using now.. Hears a cutomized version I have on mine..
original
original
original
original

miamifin33

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
z4root works perfectly for me and if you want a blurless rom after rooting do a nandroid backup with Bootstrap Recovery and install Darkslide Blurless ROM from [ROM] DarkSlide v4 this is what I am using now.. Hears a cutomized version I have on mine..
original
original
original
original

Ok, I want that rom. It looks awesome. Can you please provide extremely basic, step by step, noob proof instructions on how to install this? From making a nandroid backup to installation.

I have Bootstrapper and rom manager, so I should be good to go.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I want that rom. It looks awesome. Can you please provide extremely basic, step by step, noob proof instructions on how to install this? From making a nandroid backup to installation.

I have Bootstrapper and rom manager, so I should be good to go.

Well layout is my layout but I used Darkslide as a bases.. This requires some work but I will try to list everything I used... Some are free and some are pay but most of them are no charge.
MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND INSTRUCTIONS ON ROOTING AND ROM INSTALLING BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO AVOID ISSUES..

1. Download z4root from [APP] z4root - xda-developers and install and run following instructions from YouTube - Rooting my DX

2. Download and install Droid X Recovery Bootstrap from http://www.appbrain.com/app/droid-x-recovery-bootstrap/com.koushikdutta.droidx.bootstrap and create backup by following instructions from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApZ_oSV7CTg

3. Download DarkSlide v4 (Blur or without) I used the blur version to avoid any issues and follow instruction on the site to install the ROM. http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-roms/5788-rom-darkslide-v4.html

Install:
Bootstrap recovery
Mount System

Wipe data/factory reset
Install from zip
choose zip
choose DarkSlide
Install
Reboot
Enjoy

4. Install other apps that I used...

Beautiful Widgets
Beautiful Widgets - Android app on AppBrain

Launcher Pro (Installed with ROM) will be prompted on first boot after install of ROM. Launcher Pro Plus (Pay Version) is required for some widgets.

Meridian Media Player (Pay Version gives more options but free version works well also)
Meridian Player Pro Verifier - Android app on AppBrain

Circle Battery Widget

Circle Battery Widget - Android app on AppBrain

cVolume
cVolume [ app widget ] - Android app on AppBrain

System Info
System Info Widget - Android app on AppBrain

Pandora
Pandora Radio - Android app on AppBrain

Lock Screen Widget
Lock Screen Widget - Android app on AppBrain

IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTION PM ME AND I WILL TRY TO HELP...

Last edited:
Reactions: miamifin33

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair