Overclocking Methods and 2.2.1 Update

Which Overclock tool do you use on your DX with 2.2.1?

• Total voters

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Since the 2.2.1 update, I've had some issues with my device crashing and re-booting, a lot. Through process of elimination I think the root of the problem is most likely my overclocking, it could also be the Z4Root App or TitaniumBU. I have my doubts about Z4 being the culprit since so many people used it immediately after the update.

So which method/app are you all using to overclock the 2.2.1 update and have you had any issues?

In regards to the poll, if SetCPU doesn't work with the DX, don't tear me a new one. I never messed with it. Unstable Apps worked fine for me on 2.2 so I left it and never look into anything else.

I'm really at my wits end here. I must have had a dozen reboots at my desk today.

Last edited:

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Since the 2.2.1 update, I've had some issues with my device crashing and re-booting, a lot. Through process of elimination I think the root of the problem is most likely my overclocking, it could also be the Z4Root App or TitaniumBU. I have my doubts about Z4 being the culprit since so many people used it immediately after the update.

So which method/app are you all using to overclock the 2.2.1 update and have you had any issues?

In regards to the poll, if SetCPU doesn't work with the DX, don't tear me a new one. I never messed with it. Unstable Apps worked fine for me on 2.2 so I left it and never look into anything else.

I'm really at my wits end here. I must have had a dozen reboots at my desk today.

Try stock settings for a bit and see indeed if it is the overclocking. If at stock settings you get no reboots....well you get the picture.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Try stock settings for a bit and see indeed if it is the overclocking. If at stock settings you get no reboots....well you get the picture.

That's just it. In D2/DX Overclocker, at the top of the screen where you can make your adjustments is a small readout. Min CPU speed, Current CPU speed, and Max CPU speed.

On the stock settings, min is 300mhz, max is 1000mhz. But for some reason, when I open up the D2/DX Overclocker app, my Current reads at 1000mhz, even if I'm not doing anything. Just sitting there. Previously, it would "idle down" back to the min speed if I wasn't doing anything and let it sit for a few seconds.

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
That's just it. In D2/DX Overclocker, at the top of the screen where you can make your adjustments is a small readout. Min CPU speed, Current CPU speed, and Max CPU speed.

On the stock settings, min is 300mhz, max is 1000mhz. But for some reason, when I open up the D2/DX Overclocker app, my Current reads at 1000mhz, even if I'm not doing anything. Just sitting there. Previously, it would "idle down" back to the min speed if I wasn't doing anything and let it sit for a few seconds.

try 500 or 800 if it still doesn't idle to those then some app or service is constantly running in the background.

Edit: There was another thread here stating similar problems and using the latest module in settings helped there.

Last edited:

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
More Info:

I did a factory reset this evening. Left everything alone. Re-Installed my apps, everything running fine.

Opened Z4 and rooted. Everything fine.

Installed D2/Dx Overclocker, saw the high idle speed before adjustments. Made adjustments and ran Quadrant. Crash. Return to stock settings. Crash. Un-installed D2/Dx Overclocker. Put on charger.

Pick up phone. Scroll through Homescreens and crash.

I have not tried to replicate this yet, I just did it. I'm really getting suspicious of this overclock app. Could it make a change to the phone the first time you run it that even after un-installing, it's still changed something that only a factory reset will clear?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Solved.

Went on to the market to check out the change log on the Unstable Apps' DX/D2 Overclocker.

Lo and Behold:

"Not working with 2.2.1 at this time. Updating coming."

Since Unstable Apps never bothered to update EasyRoot after the DX was updated to Froyo, I'm not going to hold my breath that he's going to do it with the Overclocker. Note, uninstalling App does not fix problem. Factory reset required to clear it.

Now, I checked out JRummy's Droid Overclock change log to see what he had to say about the OTA.

"Recently changed in this version
Fixed overclock module load error for 3.2.340"

Guess I know what I'm buying next.

JkdJedi,

Thanks for letting me bounce off you. My next step was going to be to request what the Kernel version was before the 2.2.1 update, but I guess I know now that it was different and the module that Unstable was tacking on doesn't play nice with the new kernel.

Bulldog60

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I D/L Set CPU and installed it fine, with no problems. However when I move the slider to increase my CPU speed it will only max out at 1000mhz. Am a out of luck in overclocking or am I missing something?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2