DroidX Guide to Rooting, Backing Up and Installing Custom ROMs

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I installed apex (zipped) file from my sd card and it rebooted my phone, but..............I'm still looking at the same rom that I had before? Like, nothing happend?

Ohleo

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Did you get it figured out? You went through the worse so you should be a pro now...like the saying goes..practice makes perfect. :p

Lol you're right. I just have it rooted now. I can't get the apex to install properly from my sd card tho.

It re boots into the same rom

AirSushi

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Question to Cyber Warrior

@ Cyber Warrior
Your guide to rooting is fantastic. I am a noob to rooting android phones but my first went flawlessly thanks to your guide. I did have a couple of questions though.

1-Using Titanium Backup Pro is it posible to make a multiple backups? For example making a backup of the current state of the phone now, then do a Factory Reset and make a 2nd backup in that state without erasing the first backup?

2-To install a custom rom using method 2 (Rom Manager) the youtube video says to check both boxes after selecting a rom (backup existing rom and wipe data and cache).
A) Does backup existing rom save the state of your phone so you can install the old rom (stock)
B) Does wipe data & cache affect your sd card at all?
C) If you try a rom and don't like it how do you return to the original rooted state?

Reactions: Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
@ Cyber Warrior
Your guide to rooting is fantastic. I am a noob to rooting android phones but my first went flawlessly thanks to your guide. I did have a couple of questions though.

1-Using Titanium Backup Pro is it posible to make a multiple backups? For example making a backup of the current state of the phone now, then do a Factory Reset and make a 2nd backup in that state without erasing the first backup?

2-To install a custom rom using method 2 (Rom Manager) the youtube video says to check both boxes after selecting a rom (backup existing rom and wipe data and cache).
A) Does backup existing rom save the state of your phone so you can install the old rom (stock)
B) Does wipe data & cache affect your sd card at all?
C) If you try a rom and don't like it how do you return to the original rooted state?

1.Yes... you can even make multiple backups of apps... good if you want to revert back to a previous version of the app. For example if an app is updated and is not working properly. You can go back to the previous version of it. You can also create backup .zip files and name them for doing what you want to do.

2a. Yes as long as you didn't delete any system files or system apps needed by Verizon in Titanium. Freezing them is okay.

2b. No it does not delete anything from the SD Card.

2c. Same way you installed it. Either with Rom Manager or Bootstrap.... Rom manager>install rom from sd card>boots into recovery>wipe data/clear cache>select the backup zip you made with rom manager or bootstrap from the sd card... and reboot. Same method if using Bootstrap>Reboot recovery>boots into recovery>and so
on....

If you screw something up by accident.... use the Maderstcok .304 zip and flash it the same way as above. It will put your phone back to Verizon factory stock conditions. Even if you deleted Verizon files by mistake.

So... just make sure you have a backup using titanium and a backup using rom manager or bootstrap and you're good to go.

Reactions: AirSushi

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Also I'm not sure if the video shows it or not but when you're in titanium and making a backup for the first time you need to go into batch operations.
Open titanium...menu.... batch operations.... you will see a bunch of different backup and restore commands..... choose... (Run)Backup all user apps and system files.

Reactions: AirSushi

MurrVox

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
If there is an for this just link please...
I am using the free rom manager, flash to clockworkmod recovery, select my droid x and hit okay. Phone says it has flashed. I then go to install from sd card, select apex zip and phone then reboots into current (stock) rom. What am I missimg? A factory reset somewhere? Help is appreciated, thanks!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
If there is an for this just link please...
I am using the free rom manager, flash to clockworkmod recovery, select my droid x and hit okay. Phone says it has flashed. I then go to install from sd card, select apex zip and phone then reboots into current (stock) rom. What am I missimg? A factory reset somewhere? Help is appreciated, thanks!

When you're in Rom Manager and hit "install rom from SD Card" a pop up window will open asking to clear data and cache.... select that option. Also... did you keep the ApeX folder zipped or did you extract the files? You need to leave it zipped.
Let me know what happens. If you have a problem I'll guide you through the steps.

MurrVox

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes and yes, selected clear and cache and apex zip is intact, did NOT extract it. Also took it out of a "rom" folder I created on the sd card and put it on the root of the sd card, which doesn't matter, I don't think. Thanks for the help and anymore insight you may have.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
That's strange... do you have Droid X Bootstrap app on your phone.... try it from there... its the same procedure. Open Bootstrap and boot into recovery.

MurrVox

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually, no, I don't but I think I do, don't I? I just deleted and re-installed the rom manager and read in the description about having to run bootstrap first. Going to get that now...

MurrVox

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
I got bootstrapper, ran it, then ran rom manager...overkill? possibly, but I got the rom installed and have been geeking with it, some differences from the stock that I'll have to get used to (especially with email notification (???)) but love some of the stuff that stock doesn't have...and boy, is it snappy!

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I got bootstrapper, ran it, then ran rom manager...overkill? possibly, but I got the rom installed and have been geeking with it, some differences from the stock that I'll have to get used to (especially with email notification (???)) but love some of the stuff that stock doesn't have...and boy, is it snappy!

Ah..good. Glad you got it working..... enjoy.
What do you mean by the email notification? The different icon in the notification bar or the sound? Which rom did you go with?

j.bergthold

Nov 15, 2010
Visit site
I used z4root tonight on my Droid X, and now need to know what to do with a rooted phone. What apps do I need, what ROMs for the Droid X are recommended. I did download Titanium Backup and followed the initial backup, along with freezing a couple of annoying apps (City ID, Blockbuster). I also downloand ROM Manager to hopefully make my experience a little easier. However, I am new to the entire process and need any and all guidance that the rooting vetrans in this forum can provide. Depending on how well the experience goes with the phone, I will be building up the nerve to root my NOOK next. Thanks in advance.

boosted06

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I used z4root tonight on my Droid X, and now need to know what to do with a rooted phone. What apps do I need, what ROMs for the Droid X are recommended. I did download Titanium Backup and followed the initial backup, along with freezing a couple of annoying apps (City ID, Blockbuster). I also downloand ROM Manager to hopefully make my experience a little easier. However, I am new to the entire process and need any and all guidance that the rooting vetrans in this forum can provide. Depending on how well the experience goes with the phone, I will be building up the nerve to root my NOOK next. Thanks in advance.

I have the Apex 1.4.1 Rom. I am like it. I downloaded in the Rom manager. I have been thinking about trying the gummyjar Rom.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

There's a list of roms on the first post all compatible with the Droid X. If you want to see their screenshots of how they look just Google images for the name of the rom..(ex.. Apex rom, Liberty rom). Find a rom you like and save it to your sd card... doesn't matter where..just remember where you save it to. You install the rom by flashing the zip file you download for it. Do not extract the files... leave the folder zipped... the way it is.
If you're going to use rom manager, open the app and create a backup of your current rom first with the backup current rom option. Then choose the option..install rom from sd card. You will get a pop up message asking to erase data/cache and to reboot... click yes for clearing the data and cache and hit reboot. It will boot your phone into clockworkmod recovery. From there you will navigate to where you saved the roms zip file. Using the volume keys to move up and down and the camera button to make a selection. Find the name of the rom you want to install and select it. From there your phone will take over and install the files. When done... back out to the reboot phone option. Your phone should now start up with the new rom installed.
The most popular ones out right now are ApeX and Liberty. When you find a rom you like you can also add a theme for it. Each rom has its own themes. Just Google themes for xxxx rom. You install the theme the same way you did the rom... Flash the zip file.

Another thing you can do to the phone is over/under clock it. Over will boost the performance of the phone while under clocking will slow the cpu down... good for saving battery. Watch the videos for more info and a better understanding.

If you have any questions or run into a problem just ask and I or someone else will help you out. Have fun...

GNRPowdeR

May 5, 2010
Visit site
ROM Manager Pro issues

I've been rockin' the OG Droid til last wk. Decided to "upgrade" to the DX after killing my OG... RIP, buddy...

I was running a UD ROM on there and am familiar with rooting / loading ROMs.

I've rooted my DX and am wanting to load either Liberty or UD for my OS by using ROM Mgr. Problem is this: Thru RM, I tell my phone to boot into recovery, or install a new ROM from my card. The Super User Perm is granted. My phone reboots with normal DX annimations. ROM Mgr doesn't seem to be doing it's job and I'm not sure why...

Any ideas / suggestions are appreciated & I TYIA

-GNRPowdeR

EDIT: Hadn't loaded / purchased Bootstrapper... RM seems to be working, now...

Last edited:

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I've been rockin' the OG Droid til last wk. Decided to "upgrade" to the DX after killing my OG... RIP, buddy...

I was running a UD ROM on there and am familiar with rooting / loading ROMs.

I've rooted my DX and am wanting to load either Liberty or UD for my OS by using ROM Mgr. Problem is this: Thru RM, I tell my phone to boot into recovery, or install a new ROM from my card. The Super User Perm is granted. My phone reboots with normal DX annimations. ROM Mgr doesn't seem to be doing it's job and I'm not sure why...

Any ideas / suggestions are appreciated & I TYIA

-GNRPowdeR

EDIT: Hadn't loaded / purchased Bootstrapper... RM seems to be working, now...

I just noticed your edit after looking up solutions... one of them was to uninstall Bootstrap... then reinstall Bootstrap. Glad you got it working.

Reactions: GNRPowdeR

snyderbr

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Nandroid Backup or Titanium Backup or Both?

I'm somewhat new to the ROM scene. I know I should backup prior to placing a ROM on my rooted Droid X, but am wondering if I should do a Nandroid Backup using Bootstrap or just do a backup with TItanium Backup then install my ROM with ROM Manager...
Thanks!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084