09-07-2011 06:59 AM
95 123 ...
tools
    * DroidX Guide to Rooting, Backing Up and Installing Custom ROMS *

What you will need:
    1- You will need a file manager, I use Astro..(app found in the market)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    2- Here's a video on installing Z4root:

Here's the download link for Z4root:
    z4root.apk download

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    3- Here's a video on using Titanium Backup Pro (app found in the market):

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    4- Easy way to install custom ROMS with ROM Manager video tutorial (app found in the market):

OR

4a- Installing custom roms with Bootstrap video tutorial (app found in the market):

NOTE: If you plan on using Rom Manager, you will also need Bootstrap installed in order to boot into Clockwork Recovery. Rom Manager will not work without Bootstrap..... however if you just plan on using Bootstrap.... then that's all you need.

* And that's it...you are all set to go *

===============================================================================
    Extras
    1- Droid-X Overclock/Undervolt Tutorial using JRummys Droid X/2 Overclock(app found in the market):

2- List of all custom ROMs for the DroidX (I like using ApeX):
    Droid X ROMS - HERE

3-Full list of apps and apks that are removable and non-removable:
    Full-list-apps-apks-removable-non-removable (removing Verizon bloat)

4- Return your DroidX back to Verizons factory stock conditions (2.3.340 Froyo) ..includes Verizon's bloat apps like Amazon, Blockbuster, etc..
    Full SBF 2.3.340
    Or
    4a- Even easier, flash this zip in ClockworkMod Recovery:

Maderstcok-OTA-2-3-340-update-zip

Last Updated: March 15th, 2011
    01-05-2011 02:11 PM
    I dont need it but I thanked it anyways. Probably belongs in the root section but this is some great information. Nice post.
    Cyber Warrior and Dihyah like this.
    01-05-2011 03:40 PM
    That's a great set of links. I'm saving it to pass on to everyone that doesn't realize you can search this forum.
    Cyber Warrior and Dihyah like this.
    01-05-2011 05:57 PM
    Nice
    wunsung, Dihyah and Cyber Warrior like this.
    01-05-2011 06:17 PM
    That's a great set of links. I'm saving it to pass on to everyone that doesn't realize you can search this forum.
    Its what helped me go from knowing nothing to having a phone rooted and running custom roms. Like I tell people... do your research before you do anything to your phone. The above links are some of the best I could find but it doesn't stop there. Read and watch as many forums and videos you can until you are comfortable understanding what needs to be done. Hope this helps anyone getting started.
    Dihyah and SscoootzZ like this.
    01-05-2011 07:04 PM
    very nice. i am going to relocate it to the roms/hacks forum though
    SscoootzZ likes this.
    01-05-2011 08:49 PM
    so freakin helpful i am bookmarking for future use!
    thanked!
    01-06-2011 02:46 AM
    I downloaded the latest Z4Root 1.3.0 and it seemed like it hung on the temp root fucntion. I pulled the battery and rebooted and re-launched and it temp rooted me. I like the flexibility option of temp versus permanent root. Thanks for the youtube video as I'm a visual learner. You guys have way too much time on your hands (0-: God bless em'.
    01-12-2011 05:56 PM
    I used z4 and I have the Superuser app in my tray, however no root apps seem to be able to get permissions and typing 'su' in terminal emulator returns 'permission denied'. Any idea what gives?
    01-14-2011 02:07 PM
    I used z4 and I have the Superuser app in my tray, however no root apps seem to be able to get permissions and typing 'su' in terminal emulator returns 'permission denied'. Any idea what gives?
    Did you use permanent root or temporary root?
    01-14-2011 02:11 PM
    Nice job CW! I'm glad you put in there the manual bootstrap way to flash, it seems to work smoother for me. Great links.
    Cyber Warrior likes this.
    01-14-2011 02:29 PM
    Permanent. It remains when I restart. I have also installed Superuser from the market to see if perhaps the updated version would fix things but it did not. Should I attempt to run z4 again or...?
    01-14-2011 02:34 PM
    Running z4 again did the trick if anyone else has the same issue.
    01-14-2011 02:58 PM
    Running z4 again did the trick if anyone else has the same issue.
    Yes, z4 doesn't always stick the first time. Just re-install it. I noticed sometimes a battery pull will fix the problem.... if not just re-install it again.
    01-14-2011 03:05 PM
    Happend to me when i temp rooted and then powered off. superuser icon still there but no root access. you can reroot and it should work
    01-17-2011 01:26 AM
    Happend to me when i temp rooted and then powered off. superuser icon still there but no root access. you can reroot and it should work
    Temp root will unroot your phone every time you do a reboot. Use permanent root, you will still have the option in Z4 to unroot if you ever want to.
    01-17-2011 01:35 AM
    Will I be able to unroot using z4 if I rooted it using superoneclick?
    01-18-2011 01:51 AM
    anyone done this using 2.3?
    01-18-2011 01:57 AM
    took 2 tries but it worked used my droid x running 2.3
    01-18-2011 02:46 AM
    Ive been sitting here for 10 minutes after clicking Perm Root, and it seems that z4 is frozen (still on the blue screen). The loading circle is stuck and not spinning. Any idea why? Or what I should do?
    01-19-2011 10:17 PM
    Ive been sitting here for 10 minutes after clicking Perm Root, and it seems that z4 is frozen (still on the blue screen). The loading circle is stuck and not spinning. Any idea why? Or what I should do?
    Same thing happened to me.a thread about titanium backup I think suggested I pull the battery and retry.worked for me...try to find thread tho I'm still kinda new here
    01-19-2011 10:22 PM
    Give it a few minutes... it takes some time. If not pull the battery and install it again. Make sure its on the root of the SD card.
    01-19-2011 10:28 PM
    Here's my question:

If I root with Z4 and do a permanent root, then backup with Titanium, then do a factory reset, will I remain rooted so I can just go to the market and pick up Titanium again and restore? Thanks again for all your help, CW.
    01-20-2011 01:49 PM
    Here's my question:

If I root with Z4 and do a permanent root, then backup with Titanium, then do a factory reset, will I remain rooted so I can just go to the market and pick up Titanium again and restore? Thanks again for all your help, CW.
    Yes you should remain rooted until you hit the unroot button in Z4. If you do lose root just open Z4 and hit the rereoot button.
    Wildo6882 likes this.
    01-20-2011 02:33 PM
    Yes you should remain rooted until you hit the unroot button in Z4. If you do lose root just open Z4 and hit the rereoot button.
    Sweet, thanks. So Z4 should stay on the phone even after a factory reset, or will I have to download again?
    01-20-2011 02:48 PM
95 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD