[ROM] ApeX V1.4.1 for Droid X & Droid 2 - Refinement and Ease of Use (2/22/2011)

bigxie

Dec 6, 2010
fabdroid.com
logo.png

Current Toolbox Version: 1.0.6 (2/21/11) - run 'updatetb' to update

ApeX V1.4.1 for Droid X & Droid 2 - As Blurry or Stock as you'd like. The power is in your hands!

For Droid X users, you must be on system 2.3.340 already. I think it is safe to assume the overwhelming majority of you already are. There are no additional requirements for Droid 2 users.

Many common questions about Apex have answers that can now be found at the official Wiki. Please take a look below, thanks!

Main Page - FabDroid Wiki

Changes in V1.4.1

-updated busybox to 1.18.0
-switched from install-recovery.sh to init.d startup scripts (won't butt heads with apps anymore!)
-integrated Marius/Imoseyon's startup/cron scripts into my init.d scripts (well, basically kanged them!)
-Almost 100% certain I fixed nasty startup FC's!
-Apex mountain wallpaper is now reaccessible through 'Wallpaper Gallery'
-THX Certified sound is working ;-)
-Swype is fixed for D2 Version
-Toolbox update 1.0.6 (cleaner menu drawing, more themes)

Changes in V1.4.0

- New Apex Toolbox (Terminal Based) to customize the ROM to the max
- New Boot Animation (thanks tntdroid!)
- New Background, Ringtone, Notification Tone (change of pace!)
- Taller GB Keyboard, same size as MT Keyboard (thanks kejar31!)
- Removed Data Throttling (thanks droidxchat for an awesome utility!)
- Core Apps all updated to latest versions (Gmail, ADW Launcher, Market, Search, etc.)
- Blacked out Google Talk app (ty kejar31!)
- Fixed Mms.apk w/ Android 2.3.2 routing fixes (won't send to the wrong person!)
- MusicMod back by default, supports lock screen controls (ty kejar31!)
- FC @ Startup fixed (no more wait, power, reboot cycle!)
- Updated JRummy overclocking script (ty JRummy16!)
- Option to install leaked Motorola "Connected Player" in Toolbox
- Finally updated the Swype theme to "Blackout" (ty javroch!)

- A LOT of new features in the Toolbox (services.jar tweaks, goodies downloader, etc.)

Credits to P3Droid, TBH, Team DeFuse, Xeudoxus, Beesley, Cyanogen, Pete, and many more. Without all the contributions of the devs to the Android community, this would not be possible. Thanks!

I especially want to thank kejar31 and JRummy16! They've both been very helpful to me to help make ApeX better!

Features:

- Optimized & Zipaligned framework and applications
- Combination of AOSP and Blur apps (customize with Toolbox!)
- Build.prop and sysctl.conf mods (ty Beesley, nenolod, drod!)
- Gingerbread Android 2.3 Theme from SDK image
- Transparent Notification Shade
- ADW.Launcher with up to 7 homescreens (5 by default)
- Customizable Neural Network Live Wallpaper from CyanogenMod
- Built-in ad blocking (toggle with Toolbox!)
- Google-fixed 2.3.2 MMS app w/ black background (switchable to Blur via Toolbox!)
- Yahoo! email and corporate sync working (requires switching to Motorola Messaging Suite)
- Custom window animations and transitions
- Spare Parts, Terminal Emulator, Wireless Tether preinstalled
- Many options to customize and make this ROM yours via Toolbox!

Screenshots

140-ss1.png
140-ss2.png

140-ss4.png
140-ss5.png

140-ss3.png
140-ss6.png

Toolbox: You can access the toolbox by following these three steps - open terminal emulator, type su and hit enter, type apextoolbox and hit enter.

You can then navigate the toolbox using the corresponding numbers from the menus!

140-toolbox.png

Comprehensive guide to the Toolbox will be up in the Wiki within a few days!

Scripts: There are still a few scripts left. They are as follows:

apextoolbox : this launches the Toolbox script
overclock : this launches the overclocking script
sys : this mounts/unmounts system as read/write
updatetb : this updates the toolbox against my server

Installation Instructions: Please have a nandroid of your current setup in case this is not for you :)

Users coming from 1.3.1 may be safe to keep data and cache. If there are problems, then factory reset. - Uninstall updates to Market, Gmail, ADW Launcher, & Search if they're there under Settings->Applications->Manage Applications first.

-Place file on your sdcard. Bootstrap recovery and reboot recovery
-Select Factory Reset (delete data/cache)
-Return to previous menu and install .zip from sd card
-Choose ApeX and install!

Download Links:

Droid X V1.4.1
MD5: d2e2cdc88c2b87a55fee11cd5d568c9d

Droid 2 V1.4.1
MD5: 49a729454a52087b452b2aaaab90aec9

QUIRKS

- If you're using another launcher besides ADW, do not use the 'Search' widget. That's for ADW only. It'll get stuck at the top of your screen if you use it on LauncherPro. Use the 'Google Search' widget instead.

- If you add a Yahoo! or Corporate account through the My Accounts app, you will need to use the Toolbox to switch to the Motorola Messaging Suite (MMS & Email)

Themes:

Comprehensive list of themes for 1.4.x can be found here:

Themes For ApeX 1.4.x (2/21/11) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

If you enjoy my work, consider buying me a beer :)

Beer Fund | FabDroid

Last edited:

kismet769

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Great job Bigxie! I'm on RC2 and haven't had any issues! Keep it up, Apex is my favorite ROM.

Last edited:

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Flashed final over RC2 and all is good. By far the best rom I ever used. Good balance of stock/blur and speed/battery life. Awesome work yet again. Love the tool box. This makes things so easy and fast. Also love the boot animation ;)

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Okay..flashed 1.4 over 1.3.1 with wiping data and cache. Installed the REVOlution theme over 1.4. So far everything is good. I will post any problems.... if any... as I run into them.

Sciurus#AC

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
Well, I just got Liberty 1.5 set up the way I like it and was thinking "This is cool but I think I still like Apex better." And now Fab's got an update for us. Too cool!
I guess we know what I'm doing tomorrow.

Jussumguy88

Aug 15, 2010
Visit site
apex

Well, I just got Liberty 1.5 set up the way I like it and was thinking "This is cool but I think I still like Apex better." And now Fab's got an update for us. Too cool!
I guess we know what I'm doing tomorrow.

this is actually what i been waiting on. liberty wasnt playing nice with my phone and apex is probably the most stable rom I have tried thus far. so I'm happy to have this update out. been on it for the day. and definitely happy with it. I still have some tinkering to do with it. but so far I am definitely pleased.

Sciurus#AC

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
To anyone considering this rom vs Liberty, there's really only one way to find out which you like. They're both great roms, but they're also very different. IMO, Liberty is the best blurless rom and Apex is the best "blurry" rom. But the only way to know which you like better is to try them both.
Just make a nandroid backup of Liberty, try Apex for a few days and if you don't like it, restore your Liberty nandroid.

NickB2005

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone know why I can't get favebook connected with my contacts?

They are all synced, but with liberty I could click a contact and then view there facebook profile right from contacts.

I don't have that option anymore

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Does this ROM support HDMI out?

I too have been using Liberty 1.5. Looking for info on pros and cons to each.

It sure does. Blur is what works with hdmi with the icon over the top of pics and videos in the gallery. Just use the toolbox to swap to the blur gallery and your good to go.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Got my blue theme updated on 1.4.0. I just worked in the framework updating the progress bar for vol, browser. Deleted the Verizon Wireless text. Added percent in 10% for the battery. Here are a few screen shots. Ill be posting the dl and instructions in a bit. Just testing a bit more.
OK just DL the link. Drop on SD card. With Root Explorer go to SD card and copy the framework-res.apk file. Then back up and go into system/framework. Click the top box to be R/W and then paste. Click yes to overwrite. Once thats done check permissions for rw-r--r-- back out and reboot. First time it took a second to sync my contacts. Market asked me to log in but that it. Simple as that. Enjoy.
Thanks to Debian Dog for finding the problem!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IIR9RWQJ
ApexBlue140.jpg

Look at that honeycomb clock for the alarm :)

Last edited:
Reactions: ddodge68

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alastair