Help with flashing ROM

b-radd

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I just rooted my DX today, and have been looking into flashing a ROM onto it, specifically Liberty 1.5. I have a few questions that were not covered to heavily in any guide I read, one being what is Deodex? Some guided tell me I have to do this before flashing a ROM and others don't include it as a step at all, or even mention it. So what is it and is it necessary to do?

My second question is I know you need Kousche's DX recovery bootstrap to flash a ROM and create Nandroid backups, but it seems the only place you can get it now is from the marketplace for $2.00. I have zero problems donating money to a great dev (so I've heard) but I would really like to try it out myself first before I gave any money. I noticed that he used to give it out for free but it seems the links are down? Does anyone have a source to download it for free? Also, I was able to acquire the recovery bootstrap v. 1.0.0.3, whereas the current version is 1.0.0.5. The source I got it from was a little shady as well as not current so I was a little hesitant to try it, not knowing if it would make a difference. I appreciate any help, thanks.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
First question: most popular ROMs have the deodex built in so you don't have to worry about that. I use ApeX currently but tried Liberty 1.0 as well. Second, just download bootstrap from the market. It is well worth it (and required) for what you want to do. There is really no need to try it before you buy it. It works, plain and simple. Just make sure you back up your stock before flashing any new ROMs.

Reactions: b-radd

b-radd

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I shall go ahead and buy it then, Ive never bought an app before (not that I've "stole" them) because most of what ive wanted or needed have been free, that said, how secure is using a credit card in the marketplace?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey, no prob. Good luck with flashing Liberty if that's what you end up going with. Just make sure you do you backups and if you get stuck with anything the forums are here to help!

Reactions: b-radd