Developers say Dx is dead device... done supporting

alershka#AC

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
I was reading some tweets yesterday and a number of developers, starting with the Phoenix Team, have said they are done supporting the Dx. JsinLegacy said the user base was going to drop.

Needless to say I was a bit upset by these comments considering that the Droid X was the number 2 phone sold in the fourth quarter last year only behind the iphone. I am very frustrated by Motos decision to lock down the Dx as I'm sure that plays a huge role in the developer exodus. If the majority of developers moving on and gingerbread no where in sight it's going to be a rough year till my next upgrade.

It doesn't matter to Moto because they already have my money but I won't be buying from them again.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using Tapatalk

biohazard989

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Theres always going to be a drop in numbers as a device ages... honestly the droid x is an aging device and in our community people want the latest and greatest and the dx does not fit that right now. Sure locked bootloaders make the problem worse but its always a sooner then later thing with tech... Moto will release 2.3 for us it just takes time. Look at all the other devices. The only ones running 2.3 are nexus devices and the galaxy s line just started getting 2.2.... Moto isn't behind anyone else on software updates yet. Just be patient.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Arelunde

TECHFAN
Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
The saddest thing about this news is that the X really hasn't been surpassed, tech-wise, despite many, MANY new devices released since it was last July. The X was like the first drop in a deluge. Cannot believe how many Android smartphones there are on the market now.... each with its own tech specs. I can't even imagine how developers keep up.

This reminds me of the 1980s, when the Mac started things rolling and other computers ran each with it's own operating system. If you bought a different brand computer, you had to completely learn how to run it. Nothing was uniform. Then came Windows and everything changed. Perhaps Android will be the "windows" of smartphones (in a good way) by providing a more uniform OS base.

biohazard989

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Tech wise its not bad but I suspect many people jumped to the thunderbolt to lock in unlimited 4g. it may be up there on verizon but all carriers its showing its age. You have the atrix, the nexus s, and the thunderbolt... All that adds up along with no ota to 2.3 theres not much gain for those devs to keep releasing 2.2.1 roms. I bet when 2.3 if its not way after the fact comes out we will see a spike in development... Kind of a last dying breath from a phone that was crippled by efuse

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Let them say that when CM7 does eventually come to our Xs. I was so impressed really by the Dinc because of the custom kernels(and their stability), the currently available ROMs and the experimental ones that like MIUI, ROCKED! We have almost all that with the X and when we do, whats better? Nothing. Its in the lead of its own class of phone.