A Beginner rooting question

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I know, I know... learn to use the search function.

I have searched and read until i couldn't read anymore. I have also watched numerous videos on youtube. I am still left unsure. My goal is to be able to wifi tether and freeze some bloatware. Nothing more than that.

So here are a few of my questions. How many of you have used Z4Root? That seems like the easiest and surest way to not brick your phone. But... is too good to be true represented here? So... is it legit?

Another Q. In the Z4Root video... they used Astro File Manager. Reading the comments on the market... seems like a lot of people don't like it or have problems with it. Is Astro safe? Do I really need it? Any comparable file managers that are better/safer?

Finally... If I root... freeze the bloatware, and unroot... will the bloatware remain frozen? I really can't afford to brick my phone so if Z4Root is as good as what the videos show... I will only root my phone when I need to tether (I am currently paying the $20 per month hotspot charge... and only use it on the weekends and not more than 20 megs per month).

Ok... one more last question... what is the best Wifi tether app? If there is a link to a pole I haven't seen, that would be appreciated too.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate you all putting up with a newb. There are so many threads and posts... it gets a bit confusing.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, welcome first off and I will try to help with some of your questions.

Yes Z4 is safe. I used it, along with thousands of other people and we all rooted successfully. Yes some people had a bad time with it, but I do not know why. I'll leave that for someone who went thru it.
Astro File Manager is the I believe #1 file manager on Android. It is simmple, hard working and lots of options. I have never been failed by that app and let the devs know about it.

The best wi fi tether app is simply named Wireless Tether for Root Users. easy and works great. I use it every single day at work cuz I have to use my own laptop to be here all day, I mean while I'm working! As with all wireless tethering, you may experience drops in signal, I havent figured out why but the times it DOESNT drop, is greater.

I can't answer your root>freeze>un-root cuz well....I cant think of a reason I would want to unroot.

Hope this helps and enjoy the device, your going to be amazed by it. Now that it is rooted ofc.

Reactions: cyberchief

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thank you! I am not quite rooted yet... wanted to get thoughts here first. I like the stock device. Well... I should say I love it. Came from bb storm where I had all sorts of different themes, etc. After installing a ton.. I stuck with one. And to be honest, I like the stock DX. It just works for me.

On the Wifi Tether app... it says something about a custom kernel. Barnacle doesn't say anything about changing the kernel. Can you or anyone else explain this? I really don't want to get away from stock as much as possible... I just want to wifi. As I said... I am paying the $20 now. But would be nice to reduce the bill a bit.

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Follow the guides you have read, and its really simple. Use Z4root to root your phone, and then download wireless tether for root and your good to go. Its really that simple. Astro File Manger is fine, and safe to use. Titanium backup free edition will not allow you to freeze bloatware, so if your looking to do that you will need to buy the pro version, but its very worth it. I am like you, I just wanted to get a little bit more out of my phone, and I am rooted on a stock rom. Its perfectly safe, and if you ever need to "unroot" your phone, Z4 has an option for that. Then just uninstall your "root" programs and its back to normal. I wouldnt mess around with temp root or anything like that. Just do it and save the money.

In my signature there is a great guide that I used to root mine, very helpful.

Good luck, and Welcome to the forums.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
thanks! I installed Z4Root... but haven't quite rooted yet. lol. I launched it.. but not run it.

So... still have a question on the Wifi Tether for Android. Again... reading the description in the market place.. it says you have to have a custom Kernel. What does that mean?

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I rooted for the exact same reasons your are wanting to root. I was also hesitant and nervous as well! It took me a long time to finally get up the nerve to do it. It was painless and easy, it took all of about 3 minutes. As far as, the
Wireless Tether custom kernel, I am not sure what that is, but I downloaded app and it works like a charm.

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Everyone.

I AM ROOTED! WHOHOO! i installed Astro pro before going forward. Installed Z4 root. Installed Titanium backup pro and am backing up as I type. Next is the wifi Tether. Gonna run that, see if all goes well... then go online and cancel my Wifi Hotspot service. Or should I cancel it first? Think they will notice?

Ahowe125

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I doubt it matters.. glad you decided to go ahead and do it. And see, if anything goes sour, you can delete the programs and un-root it. Either way, I cant see spending $20 a month for that service. Its stupid.