OTA Update on Root

cyberchief

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
When OTA Updates come out... do I get a notification of such before the update actually occurs? Can I control the timing (other than when it is available)? I rooted my DX and froze applications. I know I need to unfreeze apps first and unroot for the update to take effect. Just want to know how I am going to know that an update is coming in time to do all this?

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
You will get a notification before any update so you have time to unfreeze your applications. It won't download & install without you or someone else allowing it.

You will either see that there is an update available here on Android Central & can do what you need before going to Settings > About Phone > System Updates to pull the update to your phone, or you will get it pushed to your phone and can tap Install Later to unfreeze your applications and then can pull the update back down to your phone.

And you don't always have to unroot to get the update. I didn't before we got the 2.2.1 update & it came just fine. All it did was break the root which I was quickly able to redo again.

Reactions: cyberchief