Rooted and Deodexed Gingerbread

rpmm70

Sep 19, 2010
Visit site
Question: How can I tell whether or not I'm on the deodexed version of rooted GB? I downloaded and installed right around the time jrummy was updating the OP.

Go to /system/app using a file manager like Root Explorer. If there are not any files that end in .odex then you are on the deodexed version.

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Go to /system/app using a file manager like Root Explorer. If there are not any files that end in .odex then you are on the deodexed version.

Ouch. Lots of those. Guess I should update to the deodexed. Thanks!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Bald Steve

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Be careful. The deodex patch has caused problems for some.

Yeah, the more I read about the array of problems people were having with it, I just decided to hold off. I don't really need to theme it right now anyway and I'm pretty stoked on how it's running on GB...though I did get significantly better battery life on RubiX.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Be careful. The deodex patch has caused problems for some.

I bricked mine because of the deodexed patch, didn't realize that I needed the rooted GB first. (Post never mentioned that I would need it) Damn the luck, hopefully I can get it back up and running, otherwise I will be rocking a GO phone until I can afford to buy a new one.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I bricked mine because of the deodexed patch, didn't realize that I needed the rooted GB first. (Post never mentioned that I would need it) Damn the luck, hopefully I can get it back up and running, otherwise I will be rocking a GO phone until I can afford to buy a new one.

Step 2 on the official process at MyDroidWorld says you must use Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery. Bootstrap requires root. How on earth did you install it on non-rooted Gingerbread?

You should be able to SBF and get the DX back up and running. The deodex patch caused my phone to do nothing but bootloop, but I was successfully able to SBF and get the phone back.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, the more I read about the array of problems people were having with it, I just decided to hold off. I don't really need to theme it right now anyway and I'm pretty stoked on how it's running on GB...though I did get significantly better battery life on RubiX.

Gingerbread performance was awesome. I wanted to add a Gingerbread theme to get away from the hideousness that is Moto skins. But the deodex patch caused a softbrick and the need for SBF flash.

After SBFing, I went back to Liberty 1.5. The GB performance was awesome, but I'd rather have a stable phone that looks good, than a little bit of a performance gain with an ugly, ugly status bar.

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Step 2 on the official process at MyDroidWorld says you must use Droid 2 Bootstrap Recovery. Bootstrap requires root. How on earth did you install it on non-rooted Gingerbread?

You should be able to SBF and get the DX back up and running. The deodex patch caused my phone to do nothing but bootloop, but I was successfully able to SBF and get the phone back.

Was going from rooted 2.2.1 to gb

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Was going from rooted 2.2.1 to gb

You were at 2.2.1 and then tried to install the GB Deodex patch on top of 2.2.1 without actually flashing Gingerbread?

Or you went from 2.2.1 to non-rooted Gingerbread and then installed the deodex patch on top of non-rooted GB?

kentusmc

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
Lets put it this way I did everything right except install rooted first, but did an sbf and some reading, Ill be up and running in a few mins with GB

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckm