Any chance anyone knows how to install Swype beta on a Droid X with rooted Gingerbread? I am well versed in installing Swype beta on root DXs, but I have been unsuccessful trying it on GB. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
    04-05-2011 02:24 AM
    Any chance anyone knows how to install Swype beta on a Droid X with rooted Gingerbread? I am well versed in installing Swype beta on root DXs, but I have been unsuccessful trying it on GB. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
    I have it installed on my device now with Gingerbread.... Just uninstall original with Titanium Backup and then download Swype Installer from Beta Site, it will check system and then download the correct version and then go through installation like normal. After reboot Swype Installer from launcher and activate it online.

Now Enjoy...
    snppr22 and vor like this.
    04-05-2011 02:42 AM
    My gingerbread came with Swype keyboard 2.25.67, although I dont use it.
    04-05-2011 06:32 AM
    Great tip, finally able to get a decent version of Swype on my GB DX.

Update: I spoke too soon, I am getting the same FCs I was getting with the renaming the files. The beta worked fine during its initial install, but after a creating a nandroid of the setup and a reboot it constantly FC'd. Any other ideas?

Update II: I tried this method of installation again, and if you restart in between each step, it will work, with one exception, when you reboot Swype will only work typing one letter at a time.

I have to change the input method to any other keyboard after every reboot to get Swype to allow swyping input. Any ideas on why, or how to fix this issue?
    04-05-2011 11:36 AM
    The install Swype sucks, its an older version, and I have noticed that it is an awful release, almost impossible to use for email or sms without having real issues with its prediction.
    04-05-2011 12:10 PM
    The latest Beta version I am using is 2.29.71.20203..

The install Swype sucks, its an older version, and I have noticed that it is an awful release, almost impossible to use for email or sms without having real issues with its prediction.

Update: I spoke too soon, I am getting the same FCs I was getting with the renaming the files. The beta worked fine during its initial install, but after a creating a nandroid of the setup and a reboot it constantly FC'd. Any other ideas?
    The beta isn't a older build and it is very accurate, it works way better that stock build. Can you explain why you are renaming the file? The installer app that validates installation looks for the exact name installed, if you change to this is why its FC.
    04-05-2011 12:41 PM
    yea I have never been interested in swype. I have big fingers no matter what keyboard Im using and tracing lines all over the place would just confuse me. I do know, back when I had my Dinc, I got the beta(cuz it was so popular), signed up blahh blah and never liked it. Hope it works out for ya OP
    04-05-2011 01:15 PM
    When I was running Liberty 1.5 on FroYo I used the following steps to uninstall the preloaded version and replace it with the beta:

Get a root file manager (I use root explorer)
    1. Change your default input method to anything other than Swype.
    2. Mount file system as R/W
    3. Delete (or move/rename) \system\app\swype.apk
    4. Delete (or move/rename) \data\dalvik-cache\system@app@Swype.apk@classes.dex
    5. Delete (or move/rename) \system\lib\libSwypeCore.so
    6. Reboot
    7. Download and Run the latest Swype Beta installer

When I tried this on GB I got the FC's. When I tried your method the first time I got FC's, too. However, when I went back and rebooted after every step, it worked. The only glitch now is that on reboots the swyping feature does not work (the keyboard blinks, signifying it didn't understand your entry, but letter-by-letter entry works). A quick switch to stock keyboard and back to Swype fixes it.

The point I was making about Swype was, the preinstalled 'full' version that came with the GB leak is awful. Its just awful. It doesn't predict well, it suggests completely different words, just not a good product. The most recent beta, however, is great, and I am willing to put up with this oddity to get a better typing experience.
    04-05-2011 02:27 PM
    When you activate Swype do you use so it through Swype Installers options?
    04-05-2011 04:58 PM
    I couldn't agree more about the GB version of swype, its nearly unusable. I was trying to get the beta installed but could never make it work. I may wait until there is an issue-free way of doing it but I'm glad to see that people are working on it with me.
    04-06-2011 01:36 AM
    I have it installed on my device now with Gingerbread.... Just uninstall original with Titanium Backup and then download Swype Installer from Beta Site, it will check system and then download the correct version and then go through installation like normal. After reboot Swype Installer from launcher and activate it online.

Now Enjoy...
    If you use this method with a slight tweak, you will be able to use the beta with very few bugs:

Uninstall Swype "Full" with Titanium Backup
    Restart
    Download Swype Installer
    Restart
    Run Installer
    Restart
    Generate Licence
    Restart

This is what I did and the only bug I have encountered is the non-swype issue on reboot, however, it has stopped happening on every reboot.

I have tried several other methods to do this and none work, at all. Each time I install the beta it FCs.
    04-06-2011 01:55 AM
    Any chance anyone knows how to add words to Swype Beta on the DX? I have been trying to add some words and nothing is working.
    04-10-2011 01:01 PM