Should I root?

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Please help. I have downloaded z4root but have not rooted yet. I don't plan on using custom roms, I just want to back up all of my phone and used some extra features in my apps like RealHDMI and wifi tether. Maybe overclock but nothing drastic.
Basically I want to know if I should even do it for the little stuff I want to do or just leave it alone until iam ready to really dive in.
Thanks

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I have read alot here and everybody has said you need to read up if your going to root. I just don't want to brick my phone because I know nothing about android and kernels.

Can I do any damage by just rooting for just few extra bells and whistles?

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
You should be fine with just a few apps and backing up. Most bricks happen when you are flashing something (mostly roms). For what you are looking to do Z4 is painless and you shouldn't have any issues.

droidxixis

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
you might want to give ROMs a try...that's the number one reason I am rooted. They often give you better battery life and performance. I use Rubix Focused, and my battery life is MUCH better than with the stock ROM. Just a thought. And none of this stuff is hard. You shouldn't worry too much about bricking your phone (it's really hard to brick anyway). If you follow instructions/directions on how to do different things, you'll be just fine. Also, if something should ever happen to go wrong, there are tons of people in these forums that can tell you how to fix whatever it is.

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
Having root access is a powerful set of permissions. It will allow you to change just about anything, including core components that are integral to the operation of the phone.

Before you do anything that requires root, READ. Make sure you understand what you're doing before you do it. Most of the people that run into trouble are those that don't understand what they're doing and start bumbling away. If you don't understand something, don't go ahead and do it anyway. Research till you understand it, or move on to something else.

I know you didn't mention it, but I feel it should be. Do not remove the factory bloatware, it will prevent you from receiving future OTA updates from Verizon. There are other solutions to stopping bloat that won't leave you tied up.

Read the sticky about SBFing. This is the last resort when trying to save a phone. It's not an incredibly difficult process, but it is sensitive and can be touchy.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Basically I want to know if I should even do it for the little stuff I want to do or just leave it alone until iam ready to really dive in.
Thanks

Don't do it unless you've read and read and read so that you know what you're doing. And then when you do start tinkering, make sure you follow the directions to a tee. Too many people are just rooting first and thinking later.