droid x

rmarsh

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I want to root my droid x but not sure which one to use for it. It is running system version 2.3.340.mb810. And the android version is 2.2.1. Also what is the gingerbread version im reading about?

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the show.

Z4root has been the easiest and most popular option. Google the z4root apk(i believe they are at version 1.3) and once installed, tap it and let it do its thing and voila, one click root. To verify if you need, go to the market and download Terminal Emulator. Open that and when prompted, type in su and hit enter. You should get a # symbol letting you know you have root access. If not, you will get a permission denied message. When you use apps that require root access, you will get a SuperUser window asking you for permission which you should allow and it will them be remembered for future use.
This gingerbread version your reading about is the latest build leak to the OTA.

Reactions: rmarsh

rmarsh

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
rooting

So the z4root is the easiest one for the version im running? I want to overclock it and make it run great. My bro in law has iphone4and swears by it. I want to have my droid kill it.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes z4 is the easiest. One click root as they call it. Be careful and do LOTS and LOTS of reading first, especially on over clocking. One wrong move and kiss your X goodbye. It will overheat, lag freeze and reboot incessantly. Theres lots of links thru this forum that will help you and teach you. If your a rookie to over clocking, once your all set, get Quick Clock Advanced from the Market. It has a feature that reads your device and sets the best parameters for you so you can safely have an over clocked device. Then do your studying and you can start working with Droid Overclock from jrummy. Oh and dont even worry, an iPhone doesnt compare to an android, especially our X's

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I would recommend not rooting until you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing. It seems to me there's a lot you still need to learn, and it might not be the best idea to experiment and learn at the same time unless you want to have an expensive brick on your hands.

No, rooting is not that hard with the one-click applications available now. But way too often people don't read instructions completely and have all the necessary files to restore their phones should something go wrong, and it ends up causing them problems later.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
They mean RSD LIte 4.9, which reads the .sbf file you would need to flash in bootloader mode to go back to stock in case of something going wrong, confused yet? lol

Grab a good version of a program called RSD Lite 4.9. You might have to get it zipped(I did). Then the SBF file is in one of the main stickies on the rooting and roms forum, Ive pasted it here..http://forum.androidcentral.com/mot...59759-official-full-sbf-2-3-34-available.html

The SBF file is what brings your phone back to stock innards wise. Your phone has to be in bootloader mode to do this. To gain bootloader, plug in USB and you have to power off. Then hold the home button and both vol up/down buttons and tap the power button until the menu pops up. Then open RSD and it should read your device. Select to run the sbf file saved on your pc, I would suggest your desktop or a specific folder for easy access. Then let RSD do its thing which may take a while but it will bring you back to out of box shape. If you get whats called a boot loop, the main boot screen repeating, then unplug it, battery pull for a minute, battery back in, hold Home then power and then search to bring up the stock recovery screen and wipe cache. Then reboot and you should be back to stock. Keep this post aside if you ever need it.

Ratchet

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I fully agree with Johnly. Don't worry about learning root first. Learn how to SBF first and foremost! It saves alot of blood sweat and tears in the end. :)

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Do not use the free tethering unless you want Verizon to sack you with a huge bill. If you've been following the forums -- which you should do for a while BEFORE rooting your phone -- you would know that Verizon is tracking rooted users and may start going after those tethering outside of a contract.

rmarsh

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
the z4root has a button to unroot it, is that process as easy as rooting? can you still run the factory rom/kernel with it being rooted? just getin rid of the adds is enough to make me want to root it. i have some apps that dont want to run very well sometimes. I have to run my app killer to get the memory up to get them to run. it autokills apps every 30 min, but some apps still dont like to work. How can this be fixed? It seems worse since i got juice defender, can it cause it?

.46caliber

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
the z4root has a button to unroot it, is that process as easy as rooting? can you still run the factory rom/kernel with it being rooted? just getin rid of the adds is enough to make me want to root it. i have some apps that dont want to run very well sometimes. I have to run my app killer to get the memory up to get them to run. it autokills apps every 30 min, but some apps still dont like to work. How can this be fixed? It seems worse since i got juice defender, can it cause it?

The only option is to run the factory kernel. The bootloader is locked and will not allow an unsigned kernel.

There are custom ROMs available. Do some research.

App killers are useless and cause more problems then they are worth. Do some research on this forum or others. The "geniuses" that are telling people to use task killers on new Android phone should be ignored. Get rid of the task killer. It's probably causing your problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
popipro