Any Reason to keep old SBF files?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
As anyone knows, having a current SBF file can be invaluable for someone that has bricked their phone or anyone who may just want to start a new ROM install fresh. I always SBF prior to any new ROM install and have always seemed to have the best luck when flashing to anything custom made.

I always keep any SBF file and a copy of the latest RSD Lite on my SD card for safe keeping and routinely backup my SD card to a hard drive to protect those life saving files.

My questions is:

I currently have the 2.2.340 Froyo only OTA file which I'll keep without question as I am still on Froyo and have used more than any other SBF to date.

I also have the new OTA unrootable 2.3.596 SBF tucked away for future use if and when OTA Gingerbread can be easily rooted.

However, I still have the original 2.1 Eclair OTA SBF, 2.2.315 OTA SBF, 2.2.320 TBH System-Only SBF, and 2.2.320 Complete Happy Holidays TBH SBF

I know that the new GB and 2.2.340 SBFs have upgraded basebands and radios which are incompatible with the older SBFs anyway so I have no desire to try and flash back to Eclair at the moment anyway and be seen sporting an expensive paperweight :)

However, is there any practical reason to keeping these older SBFs?

Is it actually feasible to successfully downgrade back to 2.1-for what reason, I have no idea?

I am currently still on Froyo because in my mind it is actually more stable than GB and allows me to better keep certain custom ROM features more easily than if I went to 2.3.596 and flashed the rooted files.

Of course, I may not have any idea what I am talking about since I have not touched GB, unlike some who have touched it and decided to SBF back to Froyo.

Last edited:

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
As a packrat I never delete stuff like this. I have a folder on an external HDD specifically for things like sbf's, backups, etc. For the Eclair ones obviously you'll never use them, but in my mind you never know when they may come in handy.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Just because weirder things have happened, take all your old SBFs and backups and throw them on your pc or a spare sd card, stick etc. Just keep the most recent on your phones' SD in case of ER. From what you showed in your OP, those are some old files that I doubt you would ever really need to go back to.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Probably just wise to hold onto it, never know what can come up.. I have a thumb drive that I copy useful files to and put in vault, I already put Froyo GB SBF on it and locked it away..

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
The eclair sbf is useless as it wont boot on an updated bootloader since 2.2 ota.
But who knows Moto may come through and unlock the damn thing. Not holding my breath.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Like you I have decided to stay on Froyo, so I have the official stashed. I also downloaded the GB in case I decide to upgrade at a later date. In all likely-hood GB will be the last OTA the X gets. So having both Froyo and GB is a good idea.