Verizon backcharging for returns of rooted devices!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
In case no one has seen it on twitter, user Miami1683 made a warranty claim on his device with Verizon and got backcharged today. He was charged full retail price and won't be getting the phone back -- AND he flashed it back to stock settings! Be careful, folks...

Twitter

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Seen this coming because users was throwing the root word around on Verizon site like crazy and also a number of customer was coming on Verizon forum and asking how to do GB update from a rooted device... They was bringing to much attention to rooted devices.

Not to forget the number of users that sent device back still rooted...

Im just surprised it took this long...

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
What is surprising to me is that they backcharged someone who had returned his device back to stock settings. That really sucks. Just have to be careful what you're posting and where you're posting, I guess.

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Someone explain to me how Verizon is able to tell if a phone has been rooted, since he flashed back to stock? Something tells me he forgot to get rid of "Superuser"!

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I am waiting to see the first post of the user saying they was charged 1000.00 for the 50 gig illegal tethering... I see it coming and the ones that keep using the argument about them paying for unlimited data will see they don't have anything to stand on...

HeftyOrb

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
bUT THEY KEPT HIS PHONE!

Yup. When you send your device back for a warranty replacement you CAN NOT retrieve your original device, or anything sent with it, ie: Memory cards. Even so, why would they send his original back to him now that they have given, and he is using a replacement device.

But I agree that something had to have been left behind for them to know it was a rooted device.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
It's probably the first thing VZ checks for in that return/warranty department is if the phone has been modded in anyway. I'm sure they have ways of telling, even if you do un-root, flash back to stock, whatever the case. They have investments to protect as well as their "reputation", albeit not sure what that is exactly anymore with all the money they are making.
And from what I've read in this thread so far about users blindly asking in a VZW forum or what have you how to un-root or go back to stock...that is their own...I cant think of a proper word but it weighs on VZW's side now in the battle against device customization on the user end, i.e MOST OF US! lol

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Ok Brochachos,

I am going to call shenanigans on that tale. Just like the posters who come on here with the fear mongering in regard to pirated tethering.

I have absolutely no inside scoop, but I will lay money Moto, Samsung, etc have factored into their pricing a bit for warranty returns and sending you a refurbished replacement model doesn't hurt their profit margin in the slightest. However, If you do send back a bricked phone, you deserve to be manhandled.

If there is any modicum of truth to this claim, I will wager this individual has made MANY warranty returns or sent in a unit he purchased off the internet or via a private sale under sketchy circumstances. Otherwise, a long term customer with a history of paying through contracts is going to get warranty replacements every time a legitimate claim is made.

Let's keep in real in here.

Sailmaker

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
Ok Brochachos,

I am going to call shenanigans on that tale. Just like the posters who come on here with the fear mongering in regard to pirated tethering.

I have absolutely no inside scoop, but I will lay money Moto, Samsung, etc have factored into their pricing a bit for warranty returns and sending you a refurbished replacement model doesn't hurt their profit margin in the slightest. However, If you do send back a bricked phone, you deserve to be manhandled.

If there is any modicum of truth to this claim, I will wager this individual has made MANY warranty returns or sent in a unit he purchased off the internet or via a private sale under sketchy circumstances. Otherwise, a long term customer with a history of paying through contracts is going to get warranty replacements every time a legitimate claim is made.

What xelhandroid is describing is aka LLPOF...
Liar Liar Pants On Fire :p

xelhabb

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Just an update on this shenanigans claim.

According to sources from within Verizon the following is stated:

#1. There is no policy that mandates checking for superuser access (root) on devices.
#2 When a phone is received, it is checked for three things:
* The box that the device was sent in is checked for damage
* The exterior of the phone is checked for damage
* The phone is checked for the ability to power up
#3 If there is no sign of obvious user mishandling, the claim is honored

Evidently, as I surmised in the previous post, these allegations of being charged back for sending in a rooted phone quality for the official Xelhandroid "SHENANIGANS" trademark seal as well as Sailmaker's "LLPOF" seal. This person probably sent in a handset under sketchy circumstances.

Reactions: jdwx

JkdJedi

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok Brochachos,

I concur, we pay extended warrenty and such, and that itself pays for the phone so Verizon isn't losing anything under those circumstances.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
i can tell you that we sent in my wife's bootlooped original droid, which was rooted, and wasnt charged an extra cent at any point down the road. so i think there might be a little more to the story than the phone simply being rooted

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I cant say if there was any truth to this that in fact lead to the possible charge (IF ANY), but on the same note that I cant believe that the company will continue forever to turn a blind eye to things like rooting the device and using unauthorized wireless tethering apps. If they were not showing any notice to these apps the market wouldn't be blocking it from Verizon's devices.

If a company choose to pursue a policy that is covered under contract to void the customers warranty and make them not obligated to repair the device, this wouldn't be the first time a company have went that far to lean the control power to their favor.

Other carriers have charged for unauthorized tethering so to believe it just cant happen isn't a realistic view.

At the moment this practice hasn't been brought to the light but does not mean it wont happen...

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
according to dcma or whatever, you can root your phone. I just need to find the article and carriers can do nothing about it. Just like jailbreaking a phone. Now what you do after may void your warranted.

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
In case no one has seen it on twitter, user Miami1683 made a warranty claim on his device with Verizon and got backcharged today. He was charged full retail price and won't be getting the phone back -- AND he flashed it back to stock settings! Be careful, folks...

Twitter

OK, I couldn't find the post referenced. Did he get a warranty phone and then send back the rooted phone? If so, then it might make sense as it is clearly stated that you void your warranty when you root the phone (mine will be out of warranty in Aug.).

However, what doesn't make sense is that the phone had a problem that required a warranty replacement AND he was still able to flash it before making the claim?!? That doesn't make sense.

During the .596 soak, Moto, and by extension VZW, didn't seem to have a problem with rooting/SBFing. They just required that you be on .340 before receiving the OTA soak.

Guess I'm going to have to be in the skeptical camp until more information is available.

Scott

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech