Verizon backcharging for returns of rooted devices!

GlueFactoryBJJ

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
according to dcma or whatever, you can root your phone. I just need to find the article and carriers can do nothing about it. Just like jailbreaking a phone. Now what you do after may void your warranted.

Actually, they can't prosecute you for doing so or refuse you service, but they can void your phone's warranty. Which is one of the points the validity of this topic is based upon.

Scott

chevota84

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
I just don't see them checking for root when they receive a warranty device. Its not like this is a small operation, moto has millions of devices out and a good % go through warranty returns. It probably goes down a disassembly line of 9$/hr workers who take it apart and "refurb" it and return the device to service.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I just don't see them checking for root when they receive a warranty device. Its not like this is a small operation, moto has millions of devices out and a good % go through warranty returns. It probably goes down a disassembly line of 9$/hr workers who take it apart and "refurb" it and return the device to service.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

They don't have to check, when they plug device to test bench to troubleshot device it wouldn't take much to add a small command to check if the OS has been modified, software would only take seconds to detect this of identify root access..

Welcome to the technology age..

Srambo217

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
My wife dropped her D2 running Apex into the toilet while doing her hair. Luckily the phone booted directly into bootloader and the water damage sticker didn't change color. I SBF'd it to froyo (the device never left bootloader, it was damaged internally, so I can only assume this helped or it was too severally damaged) and I'm assuming that wiped the slate clean because she got a refurb no questions asked.

hulsville

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I know a of several people who have rooted their phones, had it overclocked for months and then got a warranty replacement and never got charged. That doesn't say that it may be changing though. To all the people worried about tethering charges, Verizon already took steps to take care of that. An article was leaked a few days ago saying they are going to allowance billing. No more unlimited for new customers some time in July, 2GB for smart phones, $10 for additional GB.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on the chain of events your phone goes through and who. Don't even think that means you are safe, always use caution and remember, they Can void your warranty. It is clearly written. Returned stock is always best, sbf takes 10 minutes, same as a good duce.

ipkh

Jan 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm calling BS on this report.
I have had warranty replacements for my Droid X twice.
They ship a core phone ( no battery or SD card) with prepaid return sticker.
Certainly if you send back a non-damaged or otherwise fully functioning phone they might charge you something, but you don't get charged the full price unless you forget to return the old phone.
Now insurance claims (lost/stolen) phone are different. But I know of no reason for the phone to be sent back first. Certainly a factory reset would restore to the stock unrooted image. I generally do this to make sure my personal data is protected.
Therefore I call BS on this story. Maybe they found water damage or something that simply disqualified it from warranty replacement. I just can't see them wanting the phone first. That is simply not the process Verizon and Assurion take with regard to replacements.

ikonrep

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Bummer. I just got my replacement phone 3 days ago because it wouldn't charge on the Cardock. It was a charging port issue. I never Rooted it but I installed GB about a week early, but I believe it was just the Verizon version early release. At least I think that's what the thread that had the link in it from P3Droid stated. Think I'm toast?

MetalWych

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I am calling BS on this. Not only have I recently returned a phone that was rooted and not been charged, but when you wipe everything (and I mean EVERYTHING), there can be no trace of what was running. My guess is (like others have stated), if the person was charged, they didn't remove everything. They probably just reset everything thinking that will take care of it. If this were true, we could be hearing about this all the time...just my $.02

Also, here is something to think of...my last phone I got from VZW was rooted when I got it! I laughed and to have some fun, I called VZW support and mentioned this to them. At first I was told this is impossible, as they fully factory reset everything. They do a factory reset and wipe the cache is my guess (at least that was all they did on my phone). Just throwing that out in case anyone is scared over this.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FarajWala800