Has anyone gotten Wireless Tether to work yet?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Is any tether app working on rooted GB? I'm running the un-rooted OTA right now, but if tethering is still not working, I'm in no hurry to load the rooted version.

SYL

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Is any tether app working on rooted GB? I'm running the un-rooted OTA right now, but if tethering is still not working, I'm in no hurry to load the rooted version.

Apparently you are not aware over the risks of using such apps? Especially on Verizon. You haven't heard the stories of people who use such apps to tether and have their data permanently canceled?

DON'T tether, its dangerous and you shouldn't be doing it in the first place without a plan. NO I don't agree with it, and I think it should be free, but you are risking the cost of losing your data permanently. I remember an article written by P3Droid, but I don't know where it is

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Apparently you are not aware over the risks of using such apps? Especially on Verizon. You haven't heard the stories of people who use such apps to tether and have their data permanently canceled?

DON'T tether, its dangerous and you shouldn't be doing it in the first place without a plan. NO I don't agree with it, and I think it should be free, but you are risking the cost of losing your data permanently. I remember an article written by P3Droid, but I don't know where it is

Sorry, but I call shenanigans.

Show me an example of this ACTUALLY happening to someone, not a story of a guy's-cousin's-brother who said they got disconnected or a bill for unauthorized tethering. If it were really happening, someone would be able to show documents. I have yet to see anything.

roberte1342

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I want to know if Wireless Tether is working also. Only thing holding me back on 2.2

And no, VZW has never taken any action against tethering except hijacking http sessions and redirecting them to their tethering plan signup page.

'Illegal' thetherer since 2007.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site

That's a bunch of bs. You know you're also not allowed to drive 66 in a 65 zone...it's totally against the law. If you're afraid to use tether, then don't use it.

I still want to know if tether works yet on rooted GB...I don't think anyone has actually answered that question.

jcarlosfox

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
WIFI Teather 3.0 experimental works just fine. Verizon does not "hijack" your browser. That said, the ONE TIME I tested it, I lost my 3G after closing the session, and could not get it back until a re-boot.

Your mileage may vary.

SYL

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry, but I call shenanigans.

Show me an example of this ACTUALLY happening to someone, not a story of a guy's-cousin's-brother who said they got disconnected or a bill for unauthorized tethering. If it were really happening, someone would be able to show documents. I have yet to see anything.

Grrr, P3Droid retweeted a twitter message of a guy who got his data canceled. It was a few months ago so sadly I can't show you :( Believe me, that wasn't a lie, and im not going to look through months of tweets to find it

If you want to tether, go ahead, but I personally don't see a need to and don't want to risk it. Believe me or not, i'm not going to try to convince you.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
hell yes I be tethering bad *** sbf back to froyo, root, and latest tether beta......rip the web......GB needs to cry for a bit....bahahhahaahah

SuperChargedJ

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I would check Droid-Life.com because I think they have an article that showed users how to get it to work. I personally haven't tried it and I'm not interested in Wireless Tethering due to all the potential risks involved. I hope this information helped.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
There is a way to get wireless tether to work. It's pretty easy actually, takes maybe 10 minutes to set up.
-Call VZW and tell them you want to tether plan and use their app.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I would check Droid-Life.com because I think they have an article that showed users how to get it to work. I personally haven't tried it and I'm not interested in Wireless Tethering due to all the potential risks involved. I hope this information helped.

It worked for me on stock, but on apex it wouldnt work. It was unreliable on stock. Like captain obvious said, we can activate the legit one to. I used to argue for the legit one, but since free press has filed a complaint against VZW, I have been less pro verizon and more pro consumer.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Grrr, P3Droid retweeted a twitter message of a guy who got his data canceled. It was a few months ago so sadly I can't show you :( Believe me, that wasn't a lie, and im not going to look through months of tweets to find it

If you want to tether, go ahead, but I personally don't see a need to and don't want to risk it. Believe me or not, i'm not going to try to convince you.

See, that's what I mean. If your proof is someones retweet of a twitter message from some other guy who claimed it happened to them isn't proof in my eyes. If it were REALLY happening we would be seeing many examples from all over the place along with ACTUAL proof like letters, e-mails, or messages direct from VZW...not retweets.

I have no doubt that VZW put something into Gingerbread to prevent unauthorized tethering, but I do not think they are tracking it & doing anything about it because again, if they were....we would be seeing it.

I know you aren't trying to convince anyone. That's great that you don't see a need to tether. I don't abuse it like most do, I only use it to send a quick file from my laptop or downloading a book on my Nook Color when I don't have WiFi available anywhere nearby. Not having an easy workaround yet for my "emergency tethering" is one of the reasons I am still on Froyo & have blocked the Gingerbreat OTA (the other being no 1-click root method for the OTA yet).

Last edited:

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion this is Verizon's answer to all the users that keep using the argument about paying for unlimited data makes tethering free, if this is true that argument wont be present to stand on... http://www.androidcentral.com/verizon-employees-get-tipped-changes-data-pricing
If it happens it just goes back to "What you ask for you Got".

Verizon has blocked tether apps from Market and restricted them from running on new OS but users keep arguing that Verizon isnt reacting to this situation, in my opinion this is a reaction, this is like a mother tapping her child for doing something wrong, and if he continue the punishment will elevate .

If you choose not to accept that you are being tapped dont complain when the beaten starts..:':)D

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
The thing is too, VZW doesn't like pure Google that much. The OS is meant to run the data once beyond the phone via usb or application. The data no longer being freely unlimited will ultimately kill tethering junkies because they will then pay, as tethering will always find a way. Nexus on sprint is beautiful each and every day. Big red sucks.