Having a brain fart - how do I un-root go back to stock (or rooted GB)?

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Ok I'm thinking about either going to totally stock GB - OR - a rooted GB rom like Apex (and maybe eventually Cynogen).

Anyway - here's what I've got going on - I'd appreciate any replies.

I rooted with Z4 months ago (also had Droid X bootstrapper - and Titanium Backup Pro) - made a Nandroid Backup - flashed to Apex 1.30 then later to Apex 1.31.

What is the simplest way for me to get back to either:

1) New official OTA GB

or

2) A rooted GB build so I can use Apex 2.0 and maybe eventually Cyno?

I've been reading other threads but maybe I've not had enough coffee this morning for it to sink in.

I'm literally at the point that I don't even remember what the very first step would be - do I unroot with Z4? Reboot into recovery and flash back to my nandroid then unroot? I'm very confused right now.

Thanks.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think you may want to decide what you want to do first. Stock GB isn't currently rootable so it's great if you want a pure stock experience, but if you want to go to a GB ROM you'll need to start from scratch to install rooted GB.

In your shoes, I'd do a Titanium Backup of your current system, SBF back to Froyo, then either take the OTA update or installing the rooted Froyo. I wrote this to help me remember how to do it, hope it comes in useful for you as well.

Be careful with the restore, I only use it for some key apps that have a lot of setup (ConnectBot, for example) or things that can't be setup easily a second time (Google Authenticator will generate a new key if you set it up again, making you modify your Gmail account). In general the less you restore and the more you recreate from scratch the more stable your system will be - especially going between releases.

Reactions: Oj467

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I think you may want to decide what you want to do first. Stock GB isn't currently rootable so it's great if you want a pure stock experience, but if you want to go to a GB ROM you'll need to start from scratch to install rooted GB.

In your shoes, I'd do a Titanium Backup of your current system, SBF back to Froyo, then either take the OTA update or installing the rooted Froyo. I wrote this to help me remember how to do it, hope it comes in useful for you as well.

Be careful with the restore, I only use it for some key apps that have a lot of setup (ConnectBot, for example) or things that can't be setup easily a second time (Google Authenticator will generate a new key if you set it up again, making you modify your Gmail account). In general the less you restore and the more you recreate from scratch the more stable your system will be - especially going between releases.
Thanks SOOOOO much - going perfect so far. /fingerscrossed

One quick question - how the heck do I keep the Android Market from trying to automatically download EVERY SINGLE app I've ever bought? God it's annoying - as soon as I try to get Titanium - every single thing starts trying to download and I can't keep it from doing it.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I don't know if you can schedule the freezing of apps in Titanium because there is a MarketUpdater.apk in there somewhere if you run out of options. Like REALLY run out of options because I dont know the negative effects of freezing the updater yet.

Reactions: Oj467

Oj467

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if you can schedule the freezing of apps in Titanium because there is a MarketUpdater.apk in there somewhere if you run out of options. Like REALLY run out of options because I dont know the negative effects of freezing the updater yet.
Thanks for the reply! I got it sorted now. Once I rooted Froyo and updated to the 2 part GB things seemed to work fine and the market didn't try to take over my phone anymore. It was when I was on froyo trying to pull titanium from the market that all hell broke loose. :)

Having z4 and droid2 bootstrapper .apk's on my sd card helped immensely.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Good you got it worked out even tho my help wasn't really help, sorry bout that. I would do the same so I could get back to CM7 but I'm just not ready to sit and sbf back to froyo and do everything over again to get back to where I was. I'm gona wait for the root step of the 596sbf I'm on.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante