Anyone else pick up a Xyboard?

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I picked up an 8.2. I really like the feel and the look of it. Very thin, perfect size, nice materials, etc...

Speed, meh... Using Honeycomb, I don't notice much of a speed difference between this and other tablets.

I am having 2 issues though...

#1. Light bleed. I had pretty bad light bleed out of almost the entire side of the tablet. I figured I got a bad one so I exchanged it... This one is worse! 2 sides have light bleed on this one!

#2. It freezes 2-3 times a day. Granted I have only had a couple days, but it freezes to the point of having to reset and reboot.

Anyone else having these issues? Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks.

JOHNGAETANO

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried every tablet at one point or another. I am currently back using the iPad2. But I really like the look at the new XYBoard. The cost is a none issue for me, but I want to ask a few questions:

Why 8.2 over 10?

I heard light bleed was worse on the 8.2, just FYI.

I won a Kindle Fire 2 weeks ago, but find the 7" screen is just too small for good web browsing, so how do you find the 8.2 is. How much browsing do you really do? What other functions do you use the tablet for?

Does it fit in your pocket?

How is the smoothness of the internet/browser? Any Lag?

Lag always seems to be a problem with Android Tablets. So what have you experienced? I think most of the Lag is caused by the garbage flash content. Flash is really a poor piece of software.

Any more tips, or thoughts are really appreciated.

Thanks for your quick review.

JOHN

I picked up an 8.2. I really like the feel and the look of it. Very thin, perfect size, nice materials, etc...

Speed, meh... Using Honeycomb, I don't notice much of a speed difference between this and other tablets.

I am having 2 issues though...

#1. Light bleed. I had pretty bad light bleed out of almost the entire side of the tablet. I figured I got a bad one so I exchanged it... This one is worse! 2 sides have light bleed on this one!

#2. It freezes 2-3 times a day. Granted I have only had a couple days, but it freezes to the point of having to reset and reboot.

Anyone else having these issues? Anyone have any other thoughts?

Thanks.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Can you point me to the page that refers to the light bleed between the 8.2 and the 10.1?

I currently have the Kindle fire and a Galaxy Tab 10.1... This is a very nice middle ground. Can still palm with 1 hand and get full web pages. lag in the stock browser is still present, however, when using Opera, it is pretty smooth.

The screen is much nicer on the XYBoard compared to the Xoom, however, after using the Galaxy Tab, I still prefer the saturation levels and the contrast on the Samsung models.

It is very thin and again, it just feels really good.

I am a gamer and the 8.2 is a nice gaming device... Although one of the games I use to test devices is Fruit Ninja and it is VERY laggy on the XYBoard... On my other android tablets it is very smooth. Other games (Shadow Gun, Riptide, etc) work really well, however.

No fit in pockets... Maybe my sons pockets since they seem to be hanging down to his knees, but not mine.

I have an iPad as well and I refuse to compare iOS devices to Android devices. I like to 'review' each on their own merit. iOS does a lot well, and no question smoothness is one of them. Android does a lot well, and no, smoothness has never been one of them... Just my thoughts.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

mxmarcus

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I stopped in Verizon store to check it out.
WOW, I like it but not ready to sign 2 years contract for just a hotspot that I don't need.
Most of the times, I will be on WIFI at home.

JoeH1953

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Been on the new XYBoard 10.1 32gig for a couple of days and so far it is a solid performer. Got one of the Moto portfolios with the bluetooth keyboard and I do not have to touch the screen at all! Very satisfied ex Xoom user.

UtahRoadie

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I have had an 8.2 for about a week now and I am quite pleased, in fact I haven't picked up my iPad since I got it. I really like he form factor, just like in the story of Goldilocks and the three bears, not to big, not to small, but just right.

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I ended up taking the 8.2 back... I continued to have the freezing issue. At random times, up to once an hour with continued use, it would just stop... Freeze... Then 90 seconds later, reboot...

If it were not for that, I would have kept it. The reception was solid and it was the perfect size.

xlnub

Dec 28, 2011
Visit site
I have had the xyboard for about a week, I am also having the freezing problem, sometimes it only last a minute or two, but it is annoying. Also, typing response is often slow. I have know solution for these problems, but I will keep searching.

krauseke

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
i picked up the 10.1 and been liking it so far. I have been haing lock up issues too. Different apps. Sometimes it clears after awhile others it just reboots on its own. Keyboard is laggy too. Using Thumb keyboard but same issues on others. All of these are minor but hoping for an update soon from Vzw or Moto

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I ordered a Xyboard 8.2 today... Should be here on Friday!

I was looking for a 4G tablet that would fit in my coat pocket, so my choices were limited. (I was actually surprised that the 8.2 fit!)

I originally chose the Galaxy Tab Plus 7", but I returned it to Tmobile due to lack of coverage in my area. I'll report back once it arrives...

kempiniux

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I bought XOOM2 from Amazon and quite happy so far. Freezes several times per week, but imho it is a software issue. Looking forward for ICS update, once it is there Cianogen Mod 9 gang will provide some maintenance, hopefully ;)

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Finally got mine in today... LOVING IT so far! I really like it substantially more than the Galaxy Tab Plus that I just returned. There has been a few slowdowns (specifically with the browser) but nothing that is really concerning. We will see after a few days! :)

Sent from my MZ609 using Tapatalk

momsprissy

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
I ended up taking the 8.2 back... I continued to have the freezing issue. At random times, up to once an hour with continued use, it would just stop... Freeze... Then 90 seconds later, reboot...

If it were not for that, I would have kept it. The reception was solid and it was the perfect size.
At random times my Xyboard 10.1 would also freeze and then reboot. I carried it back and they told me that it was because it was 4G and they were having problems with 4G. Told me to go into settings and set it on 3G not auto. Said if I was in a strong 4G area it would be ok. So far after a week it seems to be taking care of it.

dmenglert

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I just picked up one of the 8.2 models, just setting it up, so far so good. Although its my second unit the first one had touch screen issues it would either lock up or I would have phantom pressing going on, exchanged for another unit and it has been smooth but it is only day one.

indygreg

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
got a 32GB 8.2 wifi only yesterday. Some thoughts:

Size is nice. I have a samsung 10.1 and it is just too big IMHO. It will end up getting sold once I figure out what my new tablet will be (will be this 8.2 if I keep it).
It is very light. Very thin.
Sceen is wonderful - but understand it is fairly high resolution in fairly small space. Looks great, but some things are really quite small.
My first beef is with the brightness of the screen. Oh My. It will not go dim enough for me for use in darkness. The 8.2 at 0% or 5% brightness is brighter than the the samsung 10.1 on 35%. I have reached out to motorola on this . . . if this is not something that will be addresses with software, i will not be keeping this tablet.
Second is battery life. Poor so far, but only one night of use. Started to play with it in the evening at 100% battery. 80 minutes later it was down to 70%. That does not scale out to their projected 6 hours. Turned it off around 90 minutes total use. In morning, it was down to 60% - just from sitting. At this rate, I would see an actual sub 5 hour life, which is just too short.

It did lock up on me. More often than my sam 10.1, but it locks up too.

Other pros:
I like the rubbery part of the back. Just a great solid feel. I like that it uses a micro USB port to charge (though it will tell you that most micro USB chargers and cables are sub optimal and will not charge as fast). But still it is nice knowing that there is usually a micro USB charger somewhere near by at all times.
The interface is not too heavy. Feels about 90% the same as my sam10.1.
It seems much more snappy than my sam 10.1, but full disclosure I have not installed all the same apps as the 10.1 so who knows. Often an app causes trouble.

Other cons:
Right now a lack of cases. the 'book' folio case that samsung has for all their modern tabs is IMHO, the best case on the market. By far. This has a ipod ripped off err inspired cover that is not actually available yet. A few reviews says it sucks.

If I do not keep this, it will be a Samsung 7 plus or 8.9.

ptikjp

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey i got one (8.2 16GB). No complaints at all.
Yeah for now the battery life looks a little daunting, but Im sure Ill need to burn in the battery some. Not sure how much having GPS on all the time is affecting it, since its mostly for in house use ... Im turning it off.

Bright screen is a +, Size a +, Dijit app a big plus. Wish it had Motorola's multitouch keyboard though. Swiftkey is decent enough none the less.

Great performance, no freezes so far. My first time with Honeycomb...its decent, but i hear this thing will practically fly on ICS. So i cant wait. It fits my needs perfectly. I love it.

Just for the reference, Ive played with the following: Ipad 2, Transformer , and GTablet.

Screen: Xyboard > Ipad 2 > Transformer > GTablet
Performance: Ipad2 > XYBoard > Transformer > GTablet

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
At random times my Xyboard 10.1 would also freeze and then reboot. I carried it back and they told me that it was because it was 4G and they were having problems with 4G. Told me to go into settings and set it on 3G not auto. Said if I was in a strong 4G area it would be ok. So far after a week it seems to be taking care of it.
Do you still get Lte with it set for 3G only?

indygreg

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I am going to send my 8.2 back. Main reason is battery life. I think they just put too small a battery in this to make is super sexy thin and light (which it is - weighs nothing). To me, a tablet is not a 5 hour device. It should be an 8-10+ hour device.

The lockups are annoying as hell too. Basically, if I use this for 60 minutes, it will lock one time no matter what. I am 100% sure this will be addressed and fixed and if everything else were good I might deal with that.

Now I just have to decided on keeping my Sam 10.1 or sell it and get a sam 8.9. The 10.1 is bigger than I would like.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I am going to send my 8.2 back. Main reason is battery life. I think they just put too small a battery in this to make is super sexy thin and light (which it is - weighs nothing). To me, a tablet is not a 5 hour device. It should be an 8-10+ hour device.

The lockups are annoying as hell too. Basically, if I use this for 60 minutes, it will lock one time no matter what. I am 100% sure this will be addressed and fixed and if everything else were good I might deal with that.

Now I just have to decided on keeping my Sam 10.1 or sell it and get a sam 8.9. The 10.1 is bigger than I would like.
Mine hasn't locked up once, it may be an app you are using. Samsung's 8.9 battery life is about the same as the Moto.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone upgraded from the original XOOM to a XYBOARD?

I have the 4g XOOM, got it on release day and absolutely love it.

I'm usually the first guy to upgrade when the "Gen 2" device comes out, but the XOOM works so well and I dont really see anything on the XYBOARD that the XOOM can't do.

Am I missing something? I don't have any desire for it to be thinner or lighter.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12