Darn u staples!

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Darn u staples!...and your little coupon too!

I have been waiting patiently for the second gen tablets. Using an iPad 1 now, it is my wife's . Then staples has to tempt me with this $100 coupon. I'm wondering if staples is trying to get rid of inventory to make room for the next gen tablets, or just create a "buzz" due to "slow tablet sales". Either way, I have been carrying this coupon every day since it's appearance on the web.
I like the xoom for various reasons. I will root it to take full advantage of its possibilities. If it had the samsung screen and thinness...well, it doesn't so I guess I need to stop thinking that way. Unless of course the xoom 2 comes with those two upgrades. I guess getting the current xoom with the $100 coupon would allow me to sell it and not take too much of a hit.
I have had a droid incredible since it's launch, but will probably get the droid bionic when it comes out.
If staples would throw in a case, I know I couldn't resist.
Sorry for my rambling. Just trying to work this out.
My local staples does not carry the ASus transformer. Which is the only tablet I think I would consider over the xoom entirely due to price and the fact that I am pretty sure I will upgrade around a year from purchase.
:-!
Jon

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Darn u staples!...and your little coupon too!

I have been waiting patiently for the second gen tablets. Using an iPad 1 now, it is my wife's . Then staples has to tempt me with this $100 coupon. I'm wondering if staples is trying to get rid of inventory to make room for the next gen tablets, or just create a "buzz" due to "slow tablet sales". Either way, I have been carrying this coupon every day since it's appearance on the web.
I like the xoom for various reasons. I will root it to take full advantage of its possibilities. If it had the samsung screen and thinness...well, it doesn't so I guess I need to stop thinking that way. Unless of course the xoom 2 comes with those two upgrades. I guess getting the current xoom with the $100 coupon would allow me to sell it and not take too much of a hit.
I have had a droid incredible since it's launch, but will probably get the droid bionic when it comes out.
If staples would throw in a case, I know I couldn't resist.
Sorry for my rambling. Just trying to work this out.
My local staples does not carry the ASus transformer. Which is the only tablet I think I would consider over the xoom entirely due to price and the fact that I am pretty sure I will upgrade around a year from purchase.
:-!
Jon
i think you need to stop thinking about it and stop wishing the xoom had this or that. If you would just go and get the xoom and take advantage of the discount you will not be sorry. I sold my ipad for a xoom wifi and have not wished for anything since. The xoom is not heavy and the screen is great for all purposes except for outside use but that's the case with all tablets. I love getting all the updates first and now that the SD card storage works I feel this is complete. Even after all this time its still not surpassed spec wise by really any other tablet. As you said if a better xoom comes out you can easily sell this one and not take a huge hit. I'm telling you. You will not be sorry you got one. Go do it.......

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
i think you need to stop thinking about it and stop wishing the xoom had this or that. If you would just go and get the xoom and take advantage of the discount you will not be sorry. I sold my ipad for a xoom wifi and have not wished for anything since. The xoom is not heavy and the screen is great for all purposes except for outside use but that's the case with all tablets. I love getting all the updates first and now that the SD card storage works I feel this is complete. Even after all this time its still not surpassed spec wise by really any other tablet. As you said if a better xoom comes out you can easily sell this one and not take a huge hit. I'm telling you. You will not be sorry you got one. Go do it.......

I agree.

And how much more are you going to get in an next gen tablet? Not enough to wait for. IMHO, we won't see the next gen of the Motorola XOOM until CES for Mobile World Conference. That's a long time to wait.

I reserve the right to be wrong, of course. :cool:

Reactions: xoomfan

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Honestly the xoom was the last tablet i thought id get but after the 32gb version went down 100 in price plus the coupon, it was a no brainer considering the only other tablet in store that the coupon would work for was the Acer. I figured getting a 32gb tab for the price of a 16gb alone is worth it. Plus the xoom gets updates pretty quick.

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, my coupon has been redeemed...
Charging now. ..lol
Jon:D

Congrats.... I think you'll love it. I have had no major issues with mine and thoroughly enjoy it every day. Please let us know your thoughts after a few days of use. I highly recommend getting a new keyboard like thumb keyboard or swift key or swipe. Much easier then the stock. I use thumb and really like it.

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
First issue... wifi signal keeps dropping connection ... very irritating. Have been searching for a fix no luck yet.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
First issue... wifi signal keeps dropping connection ... very irritating. Have been searching for a fix no luck yet.

It is location based? Maybe it's weak signal in those parts of the house? If you have a notebook computer getting a full signal in the exact same spot and your XOOM drops, than it's the XOOM and it should be returned.

If it's your WiFi signal, change the position of your router antenna(e). The antenna should be pointing straight up. The field it makes could be imagined as a donut with the antenna perpendicular to the plane of the donut and, of course, inside the donut hole. Never lay down the antenna, unless you want a good signal in your basement, below the router. In any case, make sure a straight line from you to the router antenna would make a 90 degree angle with the antenna.

If you have two antennae, turn your router 45 degrees and see it that's better. If not, another 45 degrees. Many people falsely believe these are dipoles, giving better reception along the center axis of the antennae. They are actually for antenna diversity, giving an alternate path for reception. Due to reflections, and RF obstacles, there are areas of weaker signal. With two antennae, there is a chance one antenna is outside this null point and the unit can select the best signal.

And don't get me started on routers without antenna. This is favoring manufacturing cost over performance. Maybe they are good as a coaster? Seriously, if you've got a big house, you'll need two or more of these to have decent coverage. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find routers with an antenna(e).

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Go to the market and get yourself a wifi analyzer and walk around your house to see where the low signal spots are and then turn the router as previously stated to see if that helps. I for one have great signal reception in a basement one floor below my router and approximately 40 feet away. Ill also note that the router has no external antenna. But if i go to the master bedroom on the same floor as the router approximately 60 feet away in a new addition I get nearly no signal at all. Does your xoom have the latest updates? 3.2 or even 3.1? If not try and get those. If nothing works bring it back and get a new xoom.

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
I think I figured it out. I may have had too many things connected on my wireless network. I turned a couple of them off last night and my xoom hasn't disconnected since. There were five devices connected, looks like I may need to upgrade my wireless network, as I have approximately ten devices that can access the network wirelessly. And probably will acquire more.
Still getting use to the xoom.

adamrpa

May 14, 2011
Visit site
Well I redeemed my coupon as well!!!! I thought the Xoom for $399.00 with the coupon was an absolute NO BRAINER! I am happy to be in the club!!!

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
It is location based? Maybe it's weak signal in those parts of the house? If you have a notebook computer getting a full signal in the exact same spot and your XOOM drops, than it's the XOOM and it should be returned.

If it's your WiFi signal, change the position of your router antenna(e). The antenna should be pointing straight up. The field it makes could be imagined as a donut with the antenna perpendicular to the plane of the donut and, of course, inside the donut hole. Never lay down the antenna, unless you want a good signal in your basement, below the router. In any case, make sure a straight line from you to the router antenna would make a 90 degree angle with the antenna.

If you have two antennae, turn your router 45 degrees and see it that's better. If not, another 45 degrees. Many people falsely believe these are dipoles, giving better reception along the center axis of the antennae. They are actually for antenna diversity, giving an alternate path for reception. Due to reflections, and RF obstacles, there are areas of weaker signal. With two antennae, there is a chance one antenna is outside this null point and the unit can select the best signal.

And don't get me started on routers without antenna. This is favoring manufacturing cost over performance. Maybe they are good as a coaster? Seriously, if you've got a big house, you'll need two or more of these to have decent coverage. Unfortunately, it's getting harder and harder to find routers with an antenna(e).

my xoom was connecting for a minute or so, then would disconnect on its own. I think it was due to too many devices connected to my wireless network at once.
I will say that my xoom does not show as good of a wireless signal as my wife's ipad or my laptop, while sitting right next to each other. signal on the xoom shows about 1/2 of those two devices. I have to say I am dissapointed in that, so far. I am going to mess with it, and see if I can improve that.

Jon1029

Dec 11, 2009
Visit site
Go to the market and get yourself a wifi analyzer and walk around your house to see where the low signal spots are and then turn the router as previously stated to see if that helps. I for one have great signal reception in a basement one floor below my router and approximately 40 feet away. Ill also note that the router has no external antenna. But if i go to the master bedroom on the same floor as the router approximately 60 feet away in a new addition I get nearly no signal at all. Does your xoom have the latest updates? 3.2 or even 3.1? If not try and get those. If nothing works bring it back and get a new xoom.

do have some 'dead/weak" spots in my house, but the ipad connects with a good signal in the same spot. I figured out why it was dropping connection (too many devices connected to the network), but the xoom has half the signal of the ipad, or my laptop, while connecting next to each other.
any ideas?

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Why did the girl at Staples tell me the Xoom tablet comes with no manufacturers warranty? But then tried to sell me warranty through Staples? Is this BS for real?

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I want a Xoom as well and when I found out about the coupon, it made me want it more but Lasik is keeping away from buying the Xoom. Damn it.

jdm4u

Samsungian
Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Why did the girl at Staples tell me the Xoom tablet comes with no manufacturers warranty? But then tried to sell me warranty through Staples? Is this BS for real?

When I was told that and told the Staples warranty is like 150 i automatically considered BS. I wasn't told it didnt come with manufacturer warranty, i was just told that if it fell and broke, no one would fix it since tabs are fairly new and no one knows how to. Either way, its all BS so they can sell their warranties that you will never use. Idk about other people, but i'm not planning on being careless with my Xoom.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Very true. I just couldnt believe that Motorola would not have a warranty on there product. Sounded like they wanted an extra sale.

masterxchief

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same boat waiting for a kal-el tablet nvidia keeps showing off but thanks to staples I'm enjoying my xoom!!!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

DroidNewb

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
When I was told that and told the Staples warranty is like 150 i automatically considered BS. I wasn't told it didnt come with manufacturer warranty, i was just told that if it fell and broke, no one would fix it since tabs are fairly new and no one knows how to. Either way, its all BS so they can sell their warranties that you will never use. Idk about other people, but i'm not planning on being careless with my Xoom.

I had Best Buy Price match my Zoom to 399.99 and I bought their 2 year Geek Squad replacement warranty. If something were to happen to my Xoom I am fully covered for 2 years. This is peace of mind because I know the Xoom will be getting handled by just not me but by many others who see me using it and want to give it a test drive. If someone drops it on accident or spills something on it i am not worried. the Warranty is a great value especially with the coupon for 100 dollars off. Whenever I buy something in the electronic world that is over 150 dollars I always spring for the warranty. Thankfully I had an extended warranty on my Samsung DLP TV after 3 years the light source quit working and needed replaced. the part was 1000.00 and was replaced for free because i was backed by the exteneded warranty. So don't say that you will never "use" an extended warranty...its great to have just in case...but if you don't you might be screwed.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza