When it's time to have 4g installed

Would you rather...

• Total voters

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else out there other than me that would rather motorola just ship them the 4g pci card so you can install it yourself

I'd really rather be the one that did, this way I don't have to be without the device, worry about it getting damaged etc.

mh1

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure they would void the warranty even if they sent explicit instructions on how to do it. But on the other hand it will likely be out of warranty for early adopters by the time they get around to implementing 4g.

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would have answered differently 10 years ago, eyes are too bad and hands shake a little these days so I'd probably screw it up. Better to let them do it.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm gonna ship it to them, but I will wait out the first wave of upgraders, see if any Xooms will be returned to customers with damages, etc.

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I'd prefer to do it myself, but it looks like there's also going to be some software involved, as well. I've already tried a different mini-PCI card in there, just to see if the SW would recognize it, and it didn't.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Anyone else out there other than me that would rather motorola just ship them the 4g pci card so you can install it yourself

I'd really rather be the one that did, this way I don't have to be without the device, worry about it getting damaged etc.

If it is to be that simple, I too would prefer to do it myself.

If, however, there is more extensive work that needs to be done with the internal components, I would have concerns about damaging my Xoom trying to do any component modifications. If they damage it, they're liable. If I do it...well, I have the equipment coverage with Verizon, but they might not honor it if I've opened up the case.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Will ship.. about 2 months after they start the process... No hurry since my city wont get 4G LTE until 2 months *after* Hell freezes over. Congrats to those that have access!

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
I will wait to ship mine in just because I like my 3G data plan! $20 per month, where on 4G it will be $30! The 3G on the XOOM is plenty fast for me, because all truth be told I usually use WiFi anyways.

I may never ship mine in for the free upgrade.

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I will wait to ship mine in just because I like my 3G data plan! $20 per month, where on 4G it will be $30! The 3G on the XOOM is plenty fast for me, because all truth be told I usually use WiFi anyways.

I may never ship mine in for the free upgrade.

I think you need to recheck your facts.

The price of the data doesn't change.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't even want the upgrade anymore. I'm rooted as it is so my warrenty is already voided. I just have this feeling people are going to be getting xooms back with some kind of messed up problem. The updates moto releases themselves have enough problems, I wait for all updates to be done by the independant developers. Its gonna be easier for moto to just release a new model than deal with all the troubleshooting that is going to be happening.
In the end I just don't trust moto anymore and will not send in my xoom at all. Its gonna be nothing but problems if you ask me, I'm calling it right now, 4g radio is going to mess something up.

Xoom: Unlocked, Rooted, Overclocked at 1.4, and on Tiamat 2.0 Manta Ray.

Kyocera Echo: Rooted and Awesome.
Source Code Released!!

Reactions: rdicarlo

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm calling it right now, 4g radio is going to mess something up.

Speaking of messing things up, I would have considered it a forgone conclusion that the LTE upgrade would mean ADDING an additional radio to the Xoom.

But, with Verizon making a specific "big deal" about the Galaxy Tab 10.1 having both 3G and LTE radios
(Verizon LTE hitting the tablet, with both 4G and 3G onboard | ZDNet), now I'm just a bit concerned - the LTE upgrade for the Xoom is an addition of separate LTE radio and not a replacement of the 3G radio, right?

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I believe it is an add-on not a replacement. But regardless I still think there will be problems. I would wait till other people get there's back.

Android4Life!! Sent from my Kyocera Echo using Tapatalk.

Kyocera Echo source code released!!!

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I still think there will be problems. I would wait till other people get there's back.

This is probably a smart move to consider. The advantage of 4G over 3G, while "on paper" significant, in real life is likely to be much less noticeable (most slowdowns seem to come from the server-side of things anyway), and the coverage areas still rather limited for those of us who don't spend the majority of our time deep in urban territory.

I'm less pessimistic than you about the functionality, as I believe the long and irritating delay has been due to their efforts to ensure that the LTE is working properly with the Xoom.

The one caveat I have to consider is that as an early buyer, if they offer me the upgrade early in the process, I'd be tempted to send it in right away, figuring that as they start rolling in en mass, the delay times in getting them back are bound to increase.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon