08-10-2011 09:04 AM
50 12
tools
    same as everyone else, I don't think I have had a single random reboot, had it since day 1. Trade it in and use it yourself for a few days, my parents stuff (computers, routers, printers) breaks a lot too they then blame it on me or the device, I think they are old and break it some how...haha
    08-03-2011 10:57 AM
    Oh yeah i would ask the mods to change the title of this post too, gives xoom a bad name for a very rare case.
    08-03-2011 10:59 AM
    Oh yeah i would ask the mods to change the title of this post too, gives xoom a bad name for a very rare case.
    Anyone coming to read this will see its a single issue. I hope the next tab even if a ipad works for him. I'd hate to have issues like this.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    08-03-2011 08:35 PM
    Had mine two weeks no problems and I fall under the senior citizen label. Hardly use my laptop anymore, give it five stars.
    08-03-2011 10:57 PM
    i've been enjoying it since wifi version released. the only thing that i am worried about is the power button, sometimes i need to press it really hard to turn it on or off. anybody experiencing this issue?
    08-04-2011 03:14 PM
    get him the acer iconia a500
    nearly identical specs... USB, HDMI, microSD, Honeycomb... etc..
    Great device... and CHEAPER... I got one for $299
    08-04-2011 03:30 PM
    day one wifi purchase here - works like a charm. this thing is a beast. sorry it's not working out for you.
    08-04-2011 03:40 PM
    Also a day one purchaser. I use it for work so it gets used a lot and I've not had any problems with it. I like my Xoom a lot!
    08-04-2011 05:33 PM
    Also a day one purchaser. I use it for work so it gets used a lot and I've not had any problems with it. I like my Xoom a lot!
    Poppy...can you tell what kind of usage you do on the xoom? I mainly use it for email, & read up on the daily news.
    08-04-2011 06:39 PM
    I can see one having a prob maybe 2 not 3 you have to be doing something they don't like...

I am an absolute Android fan, loved the OG Droid, the DInc and DInc II, but I bought the Xoom for my Dad for Fathers Day. Nothing but reboots and freezes. I went through 2 returns (Best Buy) and they all did the same. At first, I thought is was my Dad or Nieces playing with it but I had it for a week trying to get it to work right. Nothing but freezes and reboots, eventually it just stopped completely and that was on the third one with no one touching it but me. Now it won't even turn on. What a JOKE!! I love this platform but the Xoom is putting a bad taste to it. I will try out the Galaxy Tab 10.1 for him next but if that doesn't work "As Advertised" then I hate to admit it, but he will be getting an iPad 2. He's in his sixties and just wants something the he can browse and email from. Anybody else have these problems? Reboots and freezes on the honey comb screen?
    08-05-2011 12:11 AM
    I've had my wifi xoom for a couple of months. Took a chance on an open box from best buy; have not had any major issues. I use it extensively for work (outlook/exchange email and calendar, documents to go, pdfs, etc) as well as gmail, browsers (I like dolphin), rhapsody, Netflix (yay!), and lots more. Only a couple of apps that FC. I get wifi on the road through mobile hospital on my phone.

Sorry you have had so much trouble. Makes me wonder if it's a network or power issue at home.
    08-05-2011 12:49 AM
    get him the acer iconia a500
    nearly identical specs... USB, HDMI, microSD, Honeycomb... etc..
    Great device... and CHEAPER... I got one for $299
    Iconia A500 is a cool device, but the display is a little dim compared to Xoom.
    08-06-2011 01:34 AM
    I received mine as a birthday present little over a month ago and it has paid off, more than actually. My back went out about a week ago and this baby has been a workhorse. It has been on a steady diet of email (using Enhanced Email) , Quickoffice HD Pro, Logmein, Dolphin Browser, SIGNificant (if you need to sign anything this program is perfect) and Motoprint to mention a few.

I have to give all the above programs credit, they all worked at least as well as advertised and a few went beyond my expectations. Most importantly, not on of those programs gave me the dreaded "Forced to Close" message.

So, I'm really sorry your Xoom hasn't worked out. I don't know what I would have done without mine. Now it's even better, I can file all those spreadsheets away on my SD card.

08-06-2011 09:54 AM
    I had similar problems when I bought one day 2 after release. So much so that I brought it back and didn't get a replacement. Every other time I used ie it would crash, freeze, etc. Throw on top of that flash and SD card not working as well as no Apps at the time and it wasn't worth it.
    08-06-2011 03:22 PM
    I had similar problems when I bought one day 2 after release. So much so that I brought it back and didn't get a replacement. Every other time I used ie it would crash, freeze, etc. Throw on top of that flash and SD card not working as well as no Apps at the time and it wasn't worth it.
    You have IE on your Xoom?
    08-06-2011 07:59 PM
    Sorry, whatever the stock browser was. I only had it 2 weeks and that was 6 months ago. I had 0 Apps loaded as I wanted to rule out that as a cause for lockups and crashes.
    08-07-2011 12:55 PM
    My household has had three XOOMs from the first day available. We realized we were early adopters and made sure that any app we installed did not adversely affect the tablet before we installed another app. By putting the tablet "through it's paces" after each install, we were able to avoid the problems others ran into.

Yes, the tablet had some issues when it came out. But we never experienced the native apps freezing, force closing or anything else, without first loading an incompatible app.

I'm memorized by this spectacle. ... people swearing to G-d that they didn't install a single app and three replacements units in a row all crashed and performed miserably out of the box.

I've been in electronics for several decades. I'm electrical design engineer, working for a major semi maker. Some of the claims are so over the top, I'm sitting here in slack-jawed disbelief as I read it. I actually started to laugh because I thought it was some kind of sarcastic joke. Then I kept reading and realized they were trying to seriously claim this rubbish as truth.

Yeah, Honeycomb had problems. Still does, but it's clear to me (and should be to anyone else) these statements are outright absurd.

My XOOM is used for work and has replaced my notebook for everything expect compiling code and running h/w simulations. My wife is very happy using her XOOM for entertainment purposes... especially now that Netflix runs on it. ;-) My son uses his for school and entertainment. He has access to infinite campus and his other school work sites. He was able to do his research and write his reports in the later part of his 10th grade completely on the XOOM. His HP notebook has gathered dust. Now he is working on his SAT and ACT prep every day with the XOOM.

If truth be told on this site, it would be that this device is an extremely valuable tool for enterprise apps and school... as well as an outstanding entertainment multimedia device.

Three units in a row all trash? Freezes and lockouts without a single app install? I'm laughing my arse off here! These claims are so intentionally false, it's actually funny!
    08-07-2011 04:02 PM
    So many tablets? Possible user error? No problems here so far. Anybody having as serious of problems as this guy is?
    Nope. I've had mine since day 2 and have had absolutely no issues.
    08-07-2011 06:32 PM
    Freezes and lockouts without a single app install? I'm laughing my arse off here! These claims are so intentionally false, it's actually funny!
    If you are talking to me then laugh all you want. I've been in It for 20 years and yes, bought it the day it came out and it froze and the browser locked up several times on day 1 with no Apps installed.

Guess we all can't be as cool as you running 3 tablets never having a single issue.

I guess that flash and the SD slot worked fine too, after all, they wouldn't release a product that wasn't 100% functional either.
    08-08-2011 08:51 PM
    You thought the browser was ie. I don't think I can take you seriously.

Sent from my DROIDX
    08-08-2011 09:26 PM
    If you are talking to me then laugh all you want. I've been in It for 20 years and yes, bought it the day it came out and it froze and the browser locked up several times on day 1 with no Apps installed.

Guess we all can't be as cool as you running 3 tablets never having a single issue.

I guess that flash and the SD slot worked fine too, after all, they wouldn't release a product that wasn't 100% functional either.
    I've had my 3g Xoom since March and bought my wifi Xoom two weeks ago. Flash and SD work great and didn't require any hacks by the manufacturer. Just because Motorola wanted to wait and do it right doesn't mean they messed up.

08-08-2011 09:56 PM
    No issue since day one. Love my Xoom.
    08-09-2011 12:20 AM
    You thought the browser was ie. I don't think I can take you seriously.

Sent from my DROIDX
    Whatever man, "Stock Browser". I'm typing from my Droid Charge right now on my Dolphin Browser if that lends me any credibility.
    Open a browser and it crashes. Call it the wrong thing = I must be an ***** = it did not really crash. Nice logic.
    08-09-2011 05:25 AM
    Flash and SD work great and didn't require any hacks by the manufacturer. Just because Motorola wanted to wait and do it right doesn't mean they messed up.
    From an another thread

Stock 3.2 SD card is Read Only. It is a bit ridiculous, but if you root you will have full read and write support.
    So doing it right (or write!) means waiting 6 months for a read/write card that you can't write to? I am :lol

I am seriously considering getting another xoom and am in the market for another tablet, but this time I am doing my research first to know what kind of issues I Will have with it. To say you have 0 issues, well, that is perspective. You likely fix them or find ways around them without even realizing it.
    08-09-2011 05:33 AM
    You went through three Xoom's none of which worked? I find the extremely hard to believe. I keep seeing posts like this, and each one has several pages filled with people who had a working Xoom the first time around. In all honesty, I'm going to have to say this is some sort of user error, or maybe just jumping on the "Xoom Sucks" bandwagon.

Either way, I've had the VZW Xoom since day one, and the only applications I've had problems with are the stock browser and certain applications that were made for a phone.
    08-10-2011 09:04 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD