I haven't seen much discussion about Ice Cream Sandwhich arriving on the original Xoom (there are rumours that the Xoom 2 will get it).

Is there any info to suggest that existing phones and tablets (including the Xoom) will be getting Ice Cream Sandwhich?
    08-09-2011 11:49 AM
    Am I missing something? I'm still fairly new to Android, but I was under the impression ice cream sandwich was a phone os and Honeycomb was the tablet OS. So shouldn't we be waiting for an OS update? Golden Grahams or something...
    08-09-2011 12:34 PM
    Honeycomb was made just for tabs and well I guess Google TV. Ice cream is a cross of honeycomb and froyo I believe that will be just for phones. The Xoom will see many full os updates. Even if Google does stop at some point with the unlocked bootloader we will have many more updates.

sent by CyanogenMod X
    08-09-2011 01:26 PM
    No one knows for sure but the Xoom is probably the most likely first generation Honeycomb tablet to get upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich.

As for other phones and tablets its anyone's guess. It's up to the manufacturer and we all know how long one can wait until an upgrade comes through if you get one at all. My advice is that if you don't like the OS the hardware is running currently that don't buy it based on a promise or an assumption. As we know from the Xoom, manufactures often make ridiculous promises that they can't keep later.
    08-09-2011 02:22 PM
    Yes xoom will get ics and it will be the first. Most likely the wifi version
    08-09-2011 02:24 PM
    I am fairly sure that ICS will be for both phones and tablets.
    08-09-2011 02:44 PM
    Forget that. We should be getting Jelly Bean!!
    08-09-2011 03:29 PM
    Jelly bean is next spring at google io
    08-09-2011 03:36 PM
    Going to be interesting how they number it. First heard its 2.4 but if its 2.4 and comes to tabs that makes no sense since we are on 3.2 already then if they make it 3.3 or higher phones would be taking a huge jump. I'm sure they will figure it all out.

sent by CyanogenMod X
    08-09-2011 04:09 PM
    I've been searching around and found no more new information on this. Has anyone else saw anything. I really hope we do get Ice Cream Sandwich on the xoom though
    09-13-2011 02:55 PM
    It would great to have the same OS on my phone and tablet!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    09-13-2011 06:49 PM
    I could have *sworn* somewhere on the Nexus Prime forum I was reading someone posted that when the Nexus Prime comes out that the Xoom people will be very happy, implying ICS. However for the life of me I can't find it now.

-Mike
    09-13-2011 07:09 PM
    We'll know more next month when the announce ICS. The Xoom should be more than capable to handle ICS.
    09-13-2011 07:11 PM
    I think the Bionic will be capable too!

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    09-13-2011 07:13 PM
    If ICS is for both tablets, and phones, does that mean all apps will work on the tablets?
    09-13-2011 07:29 PM
    If ICS is for both tablets, and phones, does that mean all apps will work on the tablets?
    That would be uber

Sent from my zoom using my fingers
    09-14-2011 03:31 AM
    I was under the impression ICS was designed for all android products, even phones running 1.x
    09-14-2011 08:08 AM
    I'm pretty sure at least a dual core chip is required to run ics.
    09-14-2011 10:59 AM
    They should just jump straight to Android 4.0 for ICS.
    09-14-2011 05:14 PM
    my understanding is the point of ICs is to tie the tablet and phones together. They are moving to make future version of the os more in line with other OS's like ios5.
    09-14-2011 08:32 PM
    "Our goal with Ice Cream Sandwich is to deliver one operating system that works everywhere, regardless of device. Ice Cream Sandwich will bring everything you love about Honeycomb on your tablet to your phone, including the holographic user interface, more multitasking, the new launcher and richer widgets."

Official Google Blog: Android: momentum, mobile and more at Google I/O

And,

http://www.techau.tv/blog/google-and...fragmentation/
    09-16-2011 08:16 PM
    "Our goal with Ice Cream Sandwich is to deliver one operating system that works everywhere, regardless of device. Ice Cream Sandwich will bring everything you love about Honeycomb on your tablet to your phone, including the holographic user interface, more multitasking, the new launcher and richer widgets."

And,

Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich to end fragmentation - Australian tech blog, podcast, reviews, photos - techAU
    That's awesome and IMO, how it should be.
    weave majjik likes this.
    09-17-2011 08:31 PM

And,

Google Android Ice Cream Sandwich to end fragmentation - Australian tech blog, podcast, reviews, photos - techAU
    From this, it doesn't sound like ICS will be much of a change for tablets running honeycomb now. Big change will be for phones.
    09-23-2011 05:41 AM
    From this, it doesn't sound like ICS will be much of a change for tablets running honeycomb now. Big change will be for phones.
    That's what I've been thinking. If anything the brains over at Google should be working on improving the app experience on tablets.
    09-27-2011 04:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD