What is the sim slot that is with the SD card slot? Is that actually useable? Or is it a dummy slot..... how would you go about using it if it is a real slot?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    08-12-2011 04:17 PM
    What is the sim slot that is with the SD card slot? Is that actually useable? Or is it a dummy slot..... how would you go about using it if it is a real slot?

Read the text on the SIM card that's in there now. It will be utilized after the 4G upgrade.
    08-12-2011 06:18 PM
    Read the text on the SIM card that's in there now. It will be utilized after the 4G upgrade.
    If it's a wifi Xoom as the thread title says, there will not be a 4G upgrade so it will forever be a dummy slot and not used for anything.
    08-12-2011 06:41 PM
    I missed the WiFi mention in the title.

I was actually talking with a friend today and we were wondering what they use to cover the sd card slot on the WiFi model.
    08-12-2011 07:33 PM
    It has a cover most.likely the same on both wifi and 3g....i just didnt look close enough to see if there aee any contacts in the slot. The sd will work though

Sent from my awesome Droid Charge
    08-12-2011 09:49 PM
    It's a dummy slot, It wouldn't be worth redesigning the tablet just to get rid of it. The sd port is actually inside that slot, so they would have had to put something else in place of it.

And a sim card will not be able to work in the wifi xoom, there is missing hardware that cannot be installed.
    08-13-2011 09:28 AM
    Doesn't the sd card work with the 3.2 uodate? Mine does.

08-13-2011 09:36 AM
    The SD Card on the XOOM Wifi only is read only from the tablet. If you plug it into a computer via usb or take out your card and plug it in directly you can write to it.

I have heard there is the ability to write to the cards if an app uses the apis that supposedly exist for 3.2 but I haven't seen anything yet.
    08-18-2011 11:19 AM
    Yes its just a slot nothing is hooked up to it but it does work for sim card storage its where I keep my spare sim card...
    DACNET likes this.
    08-18-2011 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD