I made mention of this in another post. Will the Xoom be the equivalent of the Nexus? Meaning, will we get the most recent android updates? Since this is a Motorola mobile device the excitement I felt with Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobile has made my purchase of the Xoom a more valid decision than ever. If I have my head too far in the clouds,please bring me down slowly.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    08-15-2011 05:31 PM
    The Xoom has always been the Google device. Its gets the updates first and will not be skinned so its pure Google. Purchasing moto won't change the Xoom since its already the Google tab. They said even on the phone side that moto will not be the only nexus phone. I been waiting for a moto nexus on Verizon but it won't be happening any quicker than if they didn't buy moto.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    08-15-2011 07:13 PM
    google has been quoted as saying that motorola will remain an arms length away from google and that even motorola will have to go through the typical bidding process for nexus and other google experience devices.

...i dont think anything will change for devices, especially not existing devices

Why the Google-Moto deal may not result in better phones - CNN.com

they just bought motorola for the patents so apple and microsoft dont sue them for every little thing in regards to the android OS.
    08-15-2011 08:30 PM
    Nothing will change. Motorola will remain as separate company. And this deals hasn't happened yet, we will probably have Xoom 2 by the time this deal comes through.
    08-15-2011 11:00 PM
    If I only had a dime every time I heard this "We will keep them separate" crap.

Here's the deal from the eyes of a 50-something electrical design engineer who has seen this crap go on for decades.

All the Android licensees are crapping their pants right now. Google is in full swing "***-ba-ya, my lord" mode with these vendors because they realize they are critical to the long term success of Android.

The Motorola employees too are crapping their pants. Yeah, there are clearly two separate, but related, skill sets here, but there is also an enormous overlap. Google doesn't want these people jumping ship, so they will say anything and everything to keep them. Google wants to avoid a mass exodus of valued employees.

We will see promises on top of promises about Motorola Mobility being run as a separate company. We will even see it happen... for the first few years. Then... slowly... that hard line between the two will soften, then blur, then be incredibly difficult to find.

First, only senior management will report to Google. Then, the department heads will begin to report to their associated department heads in the other company. I say "other company", because it won't all be Mot reporting to Google. Merging companies successfully has been studied for years. What they will do is mix it up. More of a "blend" than an assimilation. There will be some Google departments finding themselves under Mot bosses.

The only companies that actually hold other companies in an independent way over the long term are holding companies... entities whose sole purpose is to hold companies, possibly repair them, and maybe sell them... or continue to hold them if it suits them.
    08-16-2011 07:24 AM
    If I only had a dime every time I heard this "We will keep them separate" crap.

Here's the deal from the eyes of a 50-something electrical design engineer who has seen this crap go on for decades.

All the Android licensees are crapping their pants right now. Google is in full swing "***-ba-ya, my lord" mode with these vendors because they realize they are critical to the long term success of Android.

The Motorola employees too are crapping their pants. Yeah, there are clearly two separate, but related, skill sets here, but there is also an enormous overlap. Google doesn't want these people jumping ship, so they will say anything and everything to keep them. Google wants to avoid a mass exodus of valued employees.

We will see promises on top of promises about Motorola Mobility being run as a separate company. We will even see it happen... for the first few years. Then... slowly... that hard line between the two will soften, then blur, then be incredibly difficult to find.

First, only senior management will report to Google. Then, the department heads will begin to report to their associated department heads in the other company. I say "other company", because it won't all be Mot reporting to Google. Merging companies successfully has been studied for years. What they will do is mix it up. More of a "blend" than an assimilation. There will be some Google departments finding themselves under Mot bosses.

The only companies that actually hold other companies in an independent way over the long term are holding companies... entities whose sole purpose is to hold companies, possibly repair them, and maybe sell them... or continue to hold them if it suits them.

While I agree that is the typical process that most organizations go through after a purchase/merger I think you are blowing things a bit out of proportion. First we don't know if Google will even keep Motorola permanently or sell it off permanently and keep the patent licenses. Even if they do eventually fully absorb them, that will take years. Also, who says this is a merger versus a straight buyout where Motorola execs who don't convert to Google's vision of work environment get the ax. Realistically this is good for Motorola whose outdated ideas on work environment and development nearly put them out of business.

As for other licensees "crapping their pants", I doubt that. Sure they may accelerate integration of Windows Phone 7 into their product lines, but that would have happened anyway. Any company that puts all its eggs in one basket that is controlled by another company is stupid. They all will continue to diversify their product lines where android is just a part of their offering. That's just good business. the only way I see any of them jumping ship off the Android cash cow is if Google specifically changes something in their licensing terms that hurts the other companies. I honestly don't see this happening as it would just hurt Google as well. Google's focus is and always has been search and consumer profiling. Pissing off other partners who support Android is counter intuitive to their end goals.

Personally, I see this as a win for everyone. Google gets access to thousands of patents they can use to defend themselves and Android from companies like Apple, Motorola gets lots of money and great PR for future phones as they will all be considered Google Experience devices (even when they are not), and other mfg's get some protection from frivolous lawsuits against Android and continue to rake in cash for the hottest selling platform in the world. Sure they may not make Apple like profits off of it, but just about every companies mobile division as seen massive revenue increases since adopting Android. As for consumers, we get better devices from all of this. Motorola will make devices more insync with the hardware and the other manufacturers will continue to innovate with what they make as competition increases.

Of course this is all my opinion, which like @ssholes, everybody has.
    08-16-2011 05:54 PM
    While I agree that is the typical process that most organizations go through after a purchase/merger I think you are blowing things a bit out of proportion. First we don't know if Google will even keep Motorola permanently or sell it off permanently and keep the patent licenses. Even if they do eventually fully absorb them, that will take years. Also, who says this is a merger versus a straight buyout where Motorola execs who don't convert to Google's vision of work environment get the ax. Realistically this is good for Motorola whose outdated ideas on work environment and development nearly put them out of business.
    I said it would take years.
    This isn't a merger. It's a straight buyout by Google, but Google is saying they will keep it as a separate entity.

As for other licensees "crapping their pants", I doubt that. Sure they may accelerate integration of Windows Phone 7 into their product lines, but that would have happened anyway. Any company that puts all its eggs in one basket that is controlled by another company is stupid. They all will continue to diversify their product lines where android is just a part of their offering. That's just good business. the only way I see any of them jumping ship off the Android cash cow is if Google specifically changes something in their licensing terms that hurts the other companies. I honestly don't see this happening as it would just hurt Google as well. Google's focus is and always has been search and consumer profiling. Pissing off other partners who support Android is counter intuitive to their end goals.
    Uh... yeah... hence my comment that Google is in "***-ba-ya mode". Never said they would pull licenses. I said their licensees are soiling their trousers. Which they are. This isn't speculation. The actual risk on their balance sheets just went off the charts. They are all putting into practice the old saying "Never let them see you sweat." But, believe me, they are sweating.

Jumping to Win7 mobile isn't a solution. If I had to guess, Microsoft will purchase RIM. I think we will see that within 12 months. Bet you a penny.

Personally, I see this as a win for everyone. Google gets access to thousands of patents they can use to defend themselves and Android from companies like Apple, Motorola gets lots of money and great PR for future phones as they will all be considered Google Experience devices (even when they are not), and other mfg's get some protection from frivolous lawsuits against Android and continue to rake in cash for the hottest selling platform in the world. Sure they may not make Apple like profits off of it, but just about every companies mobile division as seen massive revenue increases since adopting Android. As for consumers, we get better devices from all of this. Motorola will make devices more insync with the hardware and the other manufacturers will continue to innovate with what they make as competition increases.
    We agree. I don't believe Google will pull anything. But I predict there will be no GED devices which are not Motorola from this point on. There might be a non-Mot GED in the pipeline, but once the pipeline is cleared, all GEDs will be Mots. It makes absolutely no sense for Google to award GED status to a competing hardware platform.

I predict competing platforms will still get Android at an attractive price, because Google wants to control the world, but no more GEDs for anyone else.
    08-16-2011 09:27 PM
    Ill take a Moto GED on Verizon please.
    08-16-2011 10:35 PM
    As far as what this means for the Xoom, it means nothing. The Xoom has always gotten the first updates and is a GED. I also find it very hard to believe that Google would buy Motorola Mobility just for patents...
    08-17-2011 03:59 PM
    As far as what this means for the Xoom, it means nothing. The Xoom has always gotten the first updates and is a GED. I also find it very hard to believe that Google would buy Motorola Mobility just for patents...
    I think the patents were a really big reason for move, but I agree it wasn't "just for the patents".

With Google owning/controlling the entire nut, from hardware to OS to on-line services, they can now dictate how the Android user experience plays out. It's the same control Apple has over their user experience and the reason you don't see bugs. They can control what you see, when you see, and how you see it.

Hopefully, Google will not become the dominatrix that Apple is.
    08-18-2011 08:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD