XOOM gets no love from AndroidCentral editors

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
First we had the review from Phil telling everyone to not by the XOOM because something better will be available later. As if that's not a constant state of existence in the world of electronics. :-b

In one of their latest articles, "Android Central goes back to school", the editors pick which tablets they would send kids back to school with.

The XOOM is absent from their list of Honeycomb tablets.

I find it weird that they would even spend time splitting hairs over which Honeycomb tablet to use. Why not just leave the article as a suggestion of useful Android apps for students?

Personally, I think choosing the best Honeycomb tablet is like trying to choose the best picture of me. They are all so darn good! ;-)

My son (16 years old, going into 11th grade) has been using a XOOM at home for his schoolwork since the 3G device was released. He never opens his HP multimedia notebook anymore... literally never. I have seriously considered selling it.

I have replaced my usage of a Windows based computer by 90%.

And no app that my son uses or I use is exclusive to any one particular Honeycomb platform.

My point is... if anyone is looking for the best Honeycomb tablet to send their kids off to school with, the answer is "all of the above". They are all good and all of them would do an excellent job for your kids.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree. Yes tab I is lighter but that's where it ends. It cost more to own a tab then a xoom. Its same with devolpment every has left the xoom. I think its more folks hate Motorola because they don't follow touch or sence os with all there flashy looking bloated skins. I love my xoom I have 64gb storage plus a external hard drive. I'm not worried if I drop it.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I think its more folks hate Motorola because they don't follow touch or sence os with all there flashy looking bloated skins.

I would add that I seem to sense a great deal of resentment towards Motorola over their piss-poor handling of the PR regarding the Xoom. And, frankly, I have to agree. Motorola has done nothing to help themselves by remaining tight-lipped regarding the delay in getting the LTE radio's working and available (especially). They also have done next to nothing to promote the Xoom, seeming to spend more of their advertising on the Atrix (and itt's laptop-like dock) at the time when they (backed-by Google) should have been pushing the utility of the Xoom equally, if not instead.

I think that a good deal of the lack of love shown the Xoom can be traced back to a resentment of Motorola.

JediJesus95

Nov 1, 2009
Visit site
I love my Xoom but I was getting really tired of the Verizon ads saying "The first 4G upgradable tablet". And from what I can tell not many tech journalist seems to like the Xoom. Of course most are blinded by the iPad 2.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
I love my Xoom but I was getting really tired of the Verizon ads saying "The first 4G upgradable tablet". And from what I can tell not many tech journalist seems to like the Xoom. Of course most are blinded by the iPad 2.

But Below the Ipad praise you get praise for every other Android Tablet, and the touchpad. The xoom is hated as much as the playbook.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Motorola really did a poor pr job with the Xoom between the SD card slot and the 3g / 4g disaster. As a tablet it is top notch especially the wi-fi only version.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Its mostly because when the Xoom first came out it was what $799. That turned people off real quick. After the price drop to $649 then $499 and the staples coupon bringing it down to $399. It a real contender. Great tablet but for $799 I will just root a NookColor. So it lost alot of appeal from the horrible pricing it first received.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Same price as ipad2 with 3g . Every expects these tablets to b handed to them on a golden platter. No it shouldnt this technology and its expensive and like all new technology it will drop in time.
Its mostly because when the Xoom first came out it was what $799. That turned people off real quick. After the price drop to $649 then $499 and the staples coupon bringing it down to $399. It a real contender. Great tablet but for $799 I will just root a NookColor. So it lost alot of appeal from the horrible pricing it first received.

erzhik

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Moto did a bad PR job and even more horrifying launch with only a handful Xooms available at BB and only for those who pre-ordered. Best Buy also put Xoom along with low spec laptops or locked in a shelf somewhere. This basically meant that nobody could see it. And on top of that, BB employees were clueless about the device or that it even existed, and that whole Verizon 2 year contract fiasco. Basically, Motorola did every single mistake with the launch of Xoom.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Same price as ipad2 with 3g . Every expects these tablets to b handed to them on a golden platter. No it shouldnt this technology and its expensive and like all new technology it will drop in time.

3G is on contract with the Xoom while ipad is pay as you go. In the long run you spend more on the xoom than the ipad.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't know, I have a Xoom and use it all the time. I've gotten my brother the Transformer as a present and have to say if I was picking today I'd probably pick the transformer over the Xoom. It's lighter, has all the ports the Xoom does and has a better screen.

The galaxy tab is probably a bit better than the transformer but I don't like the apple-style single use port.

I'm not sure how much love the Xoom should have? Especially now, it's old in this business. A lot of the other tablets have the same hardware/software platform with more working features in a lighter, better looking design with a better screen.

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
I got a Xoom.. but what exactly is missing from the editorial side.. I mean, there is nothing that the Xoom does that other Android tablets don't do really.. so when a post goes up, who's to say that info wasn't coming off of a Xoom? Honeycomb apps are Honeycomb apps.. there is no "Xoom specific" info really.

You want accessorie reviews? - Cool, I got some coming.

But what else really? Let me know -- a Xoom is the only Android tablet I have so I'm more then happy to cover whatever you guys want / need.

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I got a Xoom.. but what exactly is missing from the editorial side.. I mean, there is nothing that the Xoom does that other Android tablets don't do really.. so when a post goes up, who's to say that info wasn't coming off of a Xoom? Honeycomb apps are Honeycomb apps.. there is no "Xoom specific" info really.

You want accessorie reviews? - Cool, I got some coming.

But what else really? Let me know -- a Xoom is the only Android tablet I have so I'm more then happy to cover whatever you guys want / need.
I must give you props for coming in here and replying. That is really great to see you requesting honest feedback.

Personally, I can't really think of what you could write about Xoom specific. I see where the OP is coming from when it comes to the device being absent from tablet comparisons. As far as apps go there really isn't anything to write about as far as tablet specifics go (unless for some weird reason it runs better on a Tab, Xoom, etc.) I would be interested in some accessory reviews myself.

I'm also interested in Honeycomb optimized apps. There don't seem to be a lot out there. Again, this type of coverage wouldn't be Xoom specific.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
3G is on contract with the Xoom while ipad is pay as you go. In the long run you spend more on the xoom than the ipad.

What the heck are you talking about? The $799 price the top price... for a straight out purchase, no plan discount. It was always $200 less with a two year contract.

If you want month to month, you can have the XOOM today for $629... $100 cheaper than the iPad2.

The 32GB iPad2 is $729, with no discount available.

In the long run you pay more for the iPad2 than the XOOM... while it delivers less.

I use my XOOM for enterprise. For the things I need to do, the iPad2 is either makes things more difficult to do, or it is outright incapable of doing. Don't get me wrong, if you want primarily a multimedia toy, the iPad2 is great. If you want get some serious work done in the boardroom, you are better off with a Honeycomb tablet.

TotalTech2020

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site

I'm not on contract and I have 3g on mine. You are only on contract if you bought your Xoom through Verizon and subsidized it to get the lower 599 price tag. If you did that then yes you are on a 2 year contract and in the long run you are paying more if you include the contract. I'm not positive but I believe the cost is the same if you pay as you go or contract. So either way you are paying for 3g service.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Exactly, so why do the editorials push every Honeycomb tablet except XOOM? Look at the "back to school" editorial for the latest example.

My point is the same as yours. A Honeycomb tablet is a Honeycomb tablet. They may offer different ports, but without getting into all that minutia, they are all similar experiences. I felt the back to school piece would have been better if it stayed with suggesting apps and got away from splitting hairs over which Honeycomb tablet was best.

And don't get me started on AndroidCentral's official review of the XOOM. It read great! All the way up to the end, when Phil told everyone not to buy it!!! :confused: What was his only reason? Because there will be better out later in the year. Let me ask you... when is that ever not the case? To use such a statement as a reason to stay away from a product is ridiculous. It showed a bias and subjectivity that really had no place in the piece.

A little bit of love for the XOOM, the only GED tablet. Even a tiny bit of love. That's what seems to be completely missing from the editorial side.

I agree with what has been implied by others. The initial $800 price tag did not meet the expectations of editors, so they became biased against the XOOM and never stopped.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I think what he was getting at is if you buy a Xoom from Verizon with no contract you can get 3g at anytime but with the ipad its different. With the ipad you can pay for a month if you want while on the Xoom if you stop service you have to pay activation each time you want the service back. Not sure if this is 100% correct I just remember a friend who has a ipad and he pays on his ipad each month not a bill.

sent by CyanogenMod X

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm not on contract and I have 3g on mine. You are only on contract if you bought your Xoom through Verizon and subsidized it to get the lower 599 price tag. If you did that then yes you are on a 2 year contract and in the long run you are paying more if you include the contract. I'm not positive but I believe the cost is the same if you pay as you go or contract. So either way you are paying for 3g service.

No. Visit the Verizon website. Look at both. The XOOM is cheaper than the iPad2, by at least a C note, for the month to month plans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair