Xoom moving on time or stick with it

hakoreh

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
So with all the HC tablets coming out left and right I can't keep track. I have the Xoom - it's rooted with the Tiamat ROM but I feel like even after getting updates first when 3.1 and 3.2 came out, it's now left among the others so to speak. I have no idea what is out now that's worthwhile other than the Galaxy Tab 10.1. I feel like I want to sell my Xoom and pick one up but it doesn't have SD card slot. So if I fill up 32GB let's say I can only use flash drives or whatever which I'm not too keen on. Then I'm sure there are tablets coming up at the same time. I don't want to sit around too long because then my Xoom will lose value which it has already.

so any thoughts, anything on the horizon to wait for? stick with the xoom?

thanks

ps i didnt really know where to post this but figured maybe some xoom owners feel the same and can share what they did or did not do

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I am never getting rid of my xoom, even when the new ones come out. I'm waiting for Sony's S1 and the Xoom 2. Even when those come out though I will still have my xoom. Don't sell yours for something inferior, keep it and buy the next one you want without selling your xoom.

Xoom+Root = Perfect Match

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I went to BestBuy to check out the Android tablets and left happy with my Xoom Wifi. The build quality is great, love the ports and the early updates. My work bought me the Xoom, so I am not overly invested... I'd give it up for something better.

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I've waited almost six months for 4G. Verizon announced my community will have it Sept 12. Motorola announced the Xoom will be upgraded in Sept. I guess I'll wait one more month. If nothing happens, I'll go back to my IPad... Six wasted months paying for 3G!

techdan00

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Going to give the wife my Xoom & pick up a droid bionic w/ webtop. I enjoy the tablet platform but tire of multiple devices, hoping the bionic / webtop fills that niche, any thoughts?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
The question isn't "when is it time to move on?"

The question is "what are you missing?" and "does any other tablet have that missing piece?"

KJ

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Going to give the wife my Xoom & pick up a droid bionic w/ webtop. I enjoy the tablet platform but tire of multiple devices, hoping the bionic / webtop fills that niche, any thoughts?

i wish they'd come out with a tablet version. Just a 10 inch screen you can plug your phone into...

superlawyer15

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
i moved on to the galaxy tab 10.1

its a whole lot better than the xoom

better feel in your hand, the weight makes a difference ignore those who try to act hard and say it doesnt because after 45 min of holding a tablet the weight matters

the screen is also a whole lot better and so is the battery life

also the mini apps in touchwiz bring about a whole new kind of multi tasking and i cant wait for them to add more mini apps

wburleson

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
The question isn't "when is it time to move on?"

The question is "what are you missing?" and "does any other tablet have that missing piece?"

Just couple of questions about other tablets:
1. Can other tablets play avi and mkv movies w/o additional software?
2. Can ther tablets read and write to SD card?

techdan00

May 25, 2010
Visit site
i wish they'd come out with a tablet version. Just a 10 inch screen you can plug your phone into...

Ditto, but i got to believe Webtop is a step in that direction. One device. Docked to a laptop, docked to a flat screen, and in our dreams dock to a tablet for multiple uses and designs..... Awesomeness. Now that would fit the slogan one machine to rule them all...

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I've waited almost six months for 4G. Verizon announced my community will have it Sept 12. Motorola announced the Xoom will be upgraded in Sept. I guess I'll wait one more month. If nothing happens, I'll go back to my IPad... Six wasted months paying for 3G!

Seriously!?!?

How?d you waste 6 months? Did you put your Xoom on a shelf and declare you?d never use it until it had 4G?

And, if you don?t get 4G soon, you?re going to go back to your iPad so you can use 3G? WiFi only?

I?m sorry, but this sounds almost as pathetic as that guy who launched the post ?I am doing more with my ipad then with my Xoom? (http://forums.androidcentral.com/motorola-xoom/113106-i-am-doing-more-my-ipad-then-my-xoom.html), who?s real issue seems to be that he lacks imagination to put it (any device, actually) to use for anything other than playing games.

I?m on the other end of the spectrum from you and him. My Xoom has been a work horse. I use it more than I do my laptop, or my Droid X phone (in fact, given the enhanced utility of a tablet, I?m unlikely to ever care much about if my next phone has 4G, or, frankly, is anything more than just a phone).

I use my Xoom way more than I have ever used any of the PDA devices I?ve owned over the years ? because it can do so much more.

And, I plan to keep using my Xoom 3G or 4G (plus WiFi) for the full run of my contract (Feb 2013). I?m sure Android tablets will get faster, and gains better connectivity and storage options ? even higher resolution graphics.

The quad-core Tegra 4 (Wayne) is supposed to be around 10X faster than the Tegra 2 ? and it?s supposed to come out late in 2012 (Nvidia Tegra - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Now, that would be something worth trading up to in a new tablet.

Until I have a worthy upgrade option, my Xoom will continue to get the job done, because, for me, it?s a work-horse, not a status/style symbol (cough, iPad, cough) or toy for playing games on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz