Xoom vs Samsung PC World

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
From the review:

<i>”The Xoom is clearly designed to be used more in landscape mode than it is in portrait”

“The lightweight design makes it easy to use single-handedly, and very comfortable to hold for long periods, unlike the Xoom.”</i>

For me, personally, one of the biggest “knocks” on the Xoom (vs other tablets) is actually one of the worst considered of factors – the “weight”, which is really more a “one-handed use” issue.

Yes, the Xoom does weigh more (the price for using metal for the case), but for the average person of normal physical strength, this isn’t really the supposed “deal-breaker” some try to make it out to be.

In the end, it’s the way in which different tablets tend to be held that will make the most difference, because of the difference in torsion which will be felt by the hand which is doing the holding.

One need only compare the difference in holding their Xoom in portrait vs. landscape orientations (for a right handed person, holding it at the bottom left-hand corner with their left hand). The difference is that the same weight is distributed out over lever-arms of differing length (simple physics here), with the longer lever-arm of landscape mode producing more torque.

Thus, the greatest difference due to weight differences is going to be noticed when holding various tablets in landscape orientation. (given that the iPad 2 is actually a bit wider than the Xoom, it’s supposed weight-based comfort is going to be fairly slight over the Xoom’s if both are held in portrait mode)

The real disadvantage the Xoom suffers is that it is designed more for landscape mode use (as noted in the review).

But this disadvantage only comes into play if people are actually using the tablets in prolonged one-handed fashion.

How many people really try to use any tablet, including their light-weight iPad 2’s in that way?

In my own personal usage, I carry my Xoom around to different locations at work, and use it “on the go” for data entry and note-taking. And yet, I’m more likely than not to set my Xoom down to actually do any input. And, in cases where no surface is available to set it down, rather than hold it by the lower corner of the bezel, I tend to take advantage of the Xoom’s narrower width (relative to the iPad 2) to simply hold it like a phone in portrait mode. It’s obviously not as easy to do (and likely not possible for those with smaller hands), and I would not be too comfortable doing it fro prolonged use. But, my one-handed usage (as I suspect is true of 90%+ of other users) tends to be short-term. When I intend to engage in more prolonged use, I set my Xoom down (just like most all of the rest of you) so as to be able to use both hands for the actual work that is to be done.

I just don’t buy the idea that the Xoom’s additional weight is some great “handicap” for most users, given the way most users will actually be using a tablet. [/rant]

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I think they covered the memory thing with adding the comparison line for an SD card.

Where I think they missed the boat was the USB. They called it a draw, because neither one had a full sized USB port, but the XOOM has the micro USB while the Galaxy needs a separate adapter to access USB.

XOOM wins. ;-)

I've got to take a good look at a Galaxy the next time I'm with someone who has one. The viewing angle on my XOOM is greater than I would ever use it... to the point where perspective becomes more of an issue than readability.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I just don?t buy the idea that the Xoom?s additional weight is some great ?handicap? for most users, given the way most users will actually be using a tablet. [/rant]

I totally agree. I use my XOOM for work and, for the large part, it stays on a table in front of me. When I'm on-the-go and holding it with one hand, my left hand is behind the center. (I'm right handed) Landscape mode, thumb pointing up, ring finger and pinky act as a base. Palm, thum, pointer and middle fingers support the weight. I hold it at about a 30 degree angle to the floor like this and have yet to feel like it's a burden.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Gtab uses nvideo chip also I thought. And I didn't know 3.0 bt was in mobile platform yet? Just looked it is 2.1bt sendora same nvideo as xoom.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
ANOTHER ARE
Where I think they missed the boat was the USB. They called it a draw, because neither one had a full sized USB port, but the XOOM has the micro USB while the Galaxy needs a separate adapter to access USB.

XOOM wins. ;-)

Another point on which they scored the Xoom higher was battery life. And extra hour is nice,
but it occurs to me the one comparison I've never seen made is the time it takes to recharge the battery.

I was remined of this today, when upon arriving home, my Xoom was down to ~10%, and was giveing me that warning orange color. My Droid X was down to about 40% battery, so I put both on their respective docks, and about a half hour later, I picked up my Xoom, and found it fully charged - but my Droid X was still not quite fully charged.

Obviously, utilizing 12v 1.5A is going to deliver considerably more than will 5.25v 0.5A of USB.

It dawns on me that both teh Samsung Tab 10.1 and the iPad 2 use a connector to USB. Since they must have similar sized batteries, I wonder just how much faster teh Xoom is to charge-up?

And, would not this be at least a somewhat important consideration? One cannot be using their tablet in a mobile fashion while tied to a charging cabale or dock.

Has anyone done a time-to-charge comparison between tablets?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34