Non-USA Firmware; What To Do?

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I live in North Carolina. My Xoom came yesterday from Amazon and I am pretty sure it came with a non-USA firmware. The first hint came when the power plug looked like the one I use for my dryer (an adapter was included). The second is that the language was pre-set to English (Singapore) and the time was a Pacific zone. When I checked for an update, it flashed to 3.1 rather than 3.2 with no additional updates available. My model shows as MZ604 rather than Xoom.

What should I do. The choices are:

1) Do nothing. It seems to work great. I didn't get Cordy and Google Books but the XDA Netflix apk works perfectly (except for the "update available" bug). Is anyone aware of other limitations? I am assuming I will get 3.2 eventually.

2) Root it to USA firmware. Will I lose any functionality at all if I do this?

3) Send it back. But I really don't want the hassle or the wasted time.

reelgator59

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Interesting, I have the same unit and issue with an amazon supplied Xoom. Trying to work it out now with Motorola since Amazon was clueless and wanted me to send it back to Motorola and wait weeks for my tablet. Amazon did overnight me a new charger, but everything else is as you have described and I can't get the latest update and am running 3.1.

reelgator59

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got my issue resolved. After a wasted hour on the phone with Motorola, I went back to Amazon and found out the seller/supplier was sending out units with UK firmware and UK plugs that maybe fakes. There are no IMEI or ESN #'s on the back of the units either. Amazon refunded my purchase on the spot, issued a return label, directed me to a listing I could buy direct from Amazon , refunded overnight shipping and and extra 40.00 I had paid for my Zagg sheild. Motorola told me since I had a UK firmware unit I would have to send it to the UK to get the correct firmware but they where pretty sure it was a fake. Amazon rocks, Moto, u got to be kidding me. DO NOT BUY A XOOM ON AMAZON SUPPLIED BY MASTERDEALS1 FULFILLED BY AMAZON!!!

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got my issue resolved. After a wasted hour on the phone with Motorola, I went back to Amazon and found out the seller/supplier was sending out units with UK firmware and UK plugs that maybe fakes. There are no IMEI or ESN #'s on the back of the units either. Amazon refunded my purchase on the spot, issued a return label, directed me to a listing I could buy direct from Amazon , refunded overnight shipping and and extra 40.00 I had paid for my Zagg sheild. Motorola told me since I had a UK firmware unit I would have to send it to the UK to get the correct firmware but they where pretty sure it was a fake. Amazon rocks, Moto, u got to be kidding me. DO NOT BUY A XOOM ON AMAZON SUPPLIED BY MASTERDEALS1 FULFILLED BY AMAZON!!!
Thank you for that post. Mine has Asia firmware on it. The Firmware Configuration Version begins with GAS_ASIA....

I am getting a full refund. I do not think I will purchase the replacement through Amazon.

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Good thing it all worked out. I would love to see these fake ones. Its crazy and I'm sure some users don't know better. I hope Amazon contacts all Xoom buyers to make them aware.

sent by CyanogenMod X

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
There may be something widespread going on. The poster above got his from Masterdeals via Amazon. I got mine from IMG Direct through Amazon. But now I am wondering what happenned at Newegg. I ordered a Xoom that was listed as 'In Stock." My credit card was charged. Three days later I got an email that the Xoom was out of stock. I logged in to see when they were expected because the price was good. My account said the order was "Void." Now Newegg doesn't even list the Xoom for sale.

That is highly unusual behavior for Newegg. I wonder if they got a handful of similar compalints and pulled the plug on all unshipped and future orders until the situation sorts out.

My luck. I have been charged twice for a Xoom and I don't even have one.

Last edited:

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
if its to good to be true it probably is... something like the xoom, get it from your local verizon dealer or verizonwireless.com

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
I just re-ordered the Xoom, this time directly from Amazon and not one of its partner stores. Saved some money, too. I waited a few days because I am out of town. It should be waiting for me when I return home Thursday.

Jman2345

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site

Actually it may not be that company themselves if everyone is getting these tabs from different people. I bought my T959 from Masterdeals1, and everything was fine.
I think that when items are sent into Fulfilled by Amazon, they are just all put into a bin together with all of that same item that has been sent in. Only one of the sellers has to have sent the bunk Xooms in.

Jman2345

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
in the market for a Xoom-what is a fake zoom? isnt it all the same just with a different plug? or do people actually manufacture fake one that dont work as well?

Viventis

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Since I have my replacement, there are some minor differences. The one with the huge plug that resembled a 220 plug with an ugly, white block adapter and the foreign firmware looked, felt and weighed about the same. I have no clue if it was real or not. The back did not have the Motorola symbol nor the word "Google" on it. This may well be my imagination, but the glass screen seemed worse for showing fingerpints than the Gorrilla Glass of the one I have now. Some of the software was not installed, such as Google Books and Cordy. The box had been opened, most likely to add the plug adapter. But the big thing was that the firmware would not update past 3.1.

The seller emailed me asking for feedback. So I sent in feedback. All I mentioned was the funky plug, the foreign firmware that would not update and that I returned it. I did not speculate about it being genuine hardware or not. I have received two emails from the seller asking me to retract my feedback. I was matter of fact and honest. I think potentail buyers need to know what I got and decide for themselves if that is what they want.

Last edited:

rexster314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same experience with a seller in NY, CTINYC. The price was very good and was delivered within a week. All was good upon boot, after entering my wifi settings, it updated but I didn't pay any attention to what the number was, just was happy to have my new toy. The a/c adapter was as described above, a big block with a clunky 110 adapter. Thought it was funny, but didn't think anymore about it until I started reading here and other forums of non-USA Xooms being sold stateside. After checking for several weeks, I determined I had the same problem as original poster. I got on chat with Motorola last week, and after doing a full reset with the rep, and telling her what the problem was that I couldn't update to the latest, she set up a return Fedex package to Motorola for repair. The box arrived one day later at my door, I sent it off last Friday, Oct 28. I got a tracking number for the RMA and received it back at my house today with the latest updates and with US firmware installed. I can't say enough about MOTO and their service. At the same time I was dealing with MOTO, I was also corresponding with CTINYC. They gave me the regular story that all XOOMs are created equal, and I had done enough research to know better and replied with my findings. The day I sent the unit off to Moto, I got a response back from the vendor saying to send it back for a full refund. Now, I'm happy, I got the X that I should have gotten earlier, and I told CITNYC that it wasn't necesary to send the device back.

rexster314

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same experience with a seller in NY, CTINYC. The price was very good and was delivered within a week. All was good upon boot, after entering my wifi settings, it updated but I didn't pay any attention to what the number was, just was happy to have my new toy. The a/c adapter was as described above, a big block with a clunky 110 adapter. Thought it was funny, but didn't think anymore about it until I started reading here and other forums of non-USA Xooms being sold stateside. After checking for several weeks, I determined I had the same problem as original poster. I got on chat with Motorola last week, and after doing a full reset with the rep, and telling her what the problem was that I couldn't update to the latest, she set up a return Fedex package to Motorola for repair. The box arrived one day later at my door, I sent it off last Friday, Oct 28. I got a tracking number for the RMA and received it back at my house today with the latest updates and with US firmware installed. I can't say enough about MOTO and their service. At the same time I was dealing with MOTO, I was also corresponding with CTINYC. They gave me the regular story that all XOOMs are created equal, and I had done enough research to know better and replied with my findings. The day I sent the unit off to Moto, I got a response back from the vendor saying to send it back for a full refund. Now, I'm happy, I got the X that I should have gotten earlier, and I told CITNYC that it wasn't necesary to send the device back.

sciguy9900

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone! New here...but I just had the same experience mentioned above! I ordered at a great price and free shipping from Daily Steals. It got here quick and I was so excited to finally have my Xoom...but alas, it is a Singapore version with the funky plug and ugly white adapter. I booted it up, and it updated to 3.2 and flash, but it freezes and reboots itself. Once it even got into a perpetual reboot loop. :eek: Now I need go try and send it back and get my money back. I'm so very disappointed. Should have just spent the extra $50 and got it at the store.:(