4g downgrade

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Well I hope you guys have a better experience with sending your xoom in that i just have. Just got a phone call telling me that i cannot get the 4g upgrade because my xoom has water damage and is unrepairable. The xoom was working fine before i sent it to them I've never gotten it wet or had it in a high humidity environment and now that ive sent it to them it has a voided warrenty and doesnt work. All they can tell me is they are sorry and understand. So ill never receive the promised 4g and have a 800 pile of moto crap. Guess ill be getting a galaxy tab. Guess ill file some complaints but this still sucks bad.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh my gosh...I can only imagine how upset I would be.

Here's what I would do. Send an email to every Motorola executive you can find. (HINT: You can find a huge list of them here: Executive Team - Motorola Mobility, Inc.).

The email addresses at Motorola are firstname.lastname@motorola.com. I was able to get an issue I had resolved this way. I sent an email, and got a phone call in short order. I didn't even ask for anything. I just told them about my experience, and why I would never buy another Motorola product again. A woman called me that took care of the situation pronto, and didn't question me at all.

milesmcever...if what you say it true that's terrible and I'm sorry to hear that. Send a carefully worded email to all the executives listed above and I would bet you will get some resolution.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks man I will try that I wish I was the one that damaged the tablet I would feel a lot better right now. They said they would send me pictures but have yet to receive them an hour later go figure.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Screw all that "manager" stuff. Take legal recourse. Verizon has the records of your Xoom's data usage. If you had data usage (just the XOOM being present in the network is enough) before you sent it, than you have reasonable proof the unit was working when it was sent.

I'm not a lawyer, but I believe this is called a tort and you are due damages to make you whole. They need to either repair your unit or replace it. It's not a request. It's our law.

On the other hand, if Verizon has no data link info history from before you sent it (your unit automagically does this, even when you are on WiFi), you are out of luck. It's your word against theirs.

Their position is you had already accidently destroyed your unit, then sent it in hoping they would pick up your pieces.

BTW, if you pursue the tort and they can somehow prove it's been broken for awhile, you'd be in deep doo-doo.

Last edited:

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Does it not work? They might have something to show that it had water damage so they don't even want to touch it. Ask for it to be sent back and see if its yours. Or what the damage actually is. Did you ever get picks?

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Still havent gotten pics im going to call them again today as soon as i shake some meetings. It must be easy to be a tech at motorola just sit there with a bottle of water. Yeah i was wondering if they might have gotten mine mixed up.

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Where do you live? Could it have got wet from transit? I know you put it in the plastic envelope but you never know. Alot of snow back east.

I sent mine in for screen replacement and it went to Illinois I believe. Sent it in on Mon and it returned on Thur. Unless they could show you that it is damaged I would fight with them.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If it got wet in transit, the box would show it. My XOOM came back in exactly the same box I shipped it in. If they don't have the box it was shipped in, that's a red flag.

I'll say this again, because I think it's an important point. Your XOOM communicates with the network all the time. Even if you are in WiFi all the time, the unit still reports to the cell towers. Unless you turned off the 3G radio days/weeks/months before you shipped the unit, Verizon has a record of your XOOM. Assuming you did not do turn off your 3G radio, then Verizon has a record and that would prove it was not dead when you shipped it.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Good point on it communicating back to Verizon. I'll go that route too. still never got picks from them been to busy to chew on them anymore but it was sent back today but haven't had a chance to pick it up yet because I had the return address on it as my parents since no one would have been at my house to sign for it.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
For future consideration: Whenever you get a FedEx tracking number, you can go online and request that it be held at the FedEx office. Then you can simply go after work to pick it up.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Well finally picked up my Xoom and it is not in the orginal packing and the cover for the memory/sim slot is missing. Just tried to send them an email but it kicked back when I tried first.lastname@motorola.com using the execs on that page do you still have the email address you sent to?

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Well latest is that I spoke with a Dorothy from motorola she pretty much told me they can send me the door they left off and if I wanted a new Zoom they would discount it by 25%. Also they promised me they would send me the pictures again but have yet to see them so I got a torques bit and took the Xoom apart last night. And yet again I am puzzled as there are no signs of water damage and the water sensor stickers are not triggered. Only finding one water sensor sticker I was wondering if anyone else out there knows where any more might be other then right under the rear slide down lid on the left side next to a wireless slot?

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
Well latest is that I spoke with a Dorothy from motorola she pretty much told me they can send me the door they left off and if I wanted a new Zoom they would discount it by 25%. Also they promised me they would send me the pictures again but have yet to see them so I got a torques bit and took the Xoom apart last night. And yet again I am puzzled as there are no signs of water damage and the water sensor stickers are not triggered. Only finding one water sensor sticker I was wondering if anyone else out there knows where any more might be other then right under the rear slide down lid on the left side next to a wireless slot?

Dorothy is who helped me as well....I'd bet it's the same Dorothy. Older woman, sounds African American?

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah that is her, but I just sent her 10 pictures of my Xoom since she is unable to send me their pictures to my hotmail, gmail, or work account. To clarify the full story behind this now here is what is going on. I first sent my working Xoom into motorola for the 4g upgrade then received a phone call from motorola saying my Xoom had water damage was non-working, now has a voided warranty, and now I will not receive the 4g upgrade. When I called back the lady I spoke to on the phone made sure to tell me that I was never promised a 4g upgrade and since it has water damage it will not but don?t worry they understand and are sorry. I then received my Xoom back to my house it is working fine there is no water damage to the Xoom I have gotten a t5 screw driver and opened it up the water sensor sticker is fine. They also mentioned some corrosion on the device but this is also non-existent. I think I am just going to demand a new Xoom with 4g installed since I don?t trust sending this back to motorola and do not plan on ever buying another one of their products.

milesmcever

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
Just got off the phone with Dorothy at motorola and she wants me to send it to her and she said this is the only way to figure this out. She said her pictures are of the side of the screen that showed something my question is how far down are they stripping these things to add the chip and not sure if any of you have taken apart your Xoom I havent till this happened but the screen is the last piece to be removed. So if anyone out there has info on the process of how they are updating our Xooms can you please share and also what do you guys think should I trust them for a second time?

PensHockey

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I would take lots of pictures of the device on and off. And take a few pics of the inside but don't show them. Keep them just in case something happens and they try screwing with you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alfatv