xoom pretty crappy since upgrade

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
ever since my 4g upgrade, and software upgrade my xoom has ben pretty crappy, more programs force close, it gets pretty laggy, I find myself rebooting it several times a day now...seriously thinking of getting the ipad2 ...just think... this was suppose to be a big deal...made in partnership with google...

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I'd hold off until it gets Ice Cream Sandwich, assuming the update is released relatively soon. Google admitted that Honeycomb was thrown together. If the smoothness and browser performance we're hearing about with the Galaxy Nexus is true, Ice Cream Sandwich won't just be a bunch of UI tweaks. It should really make the Xoom sing.

And if it doesn't, we'll go to the Apple Store together.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that the reason is some slightly incompatible program. We have three XOOMs in the family, all upgraded, and we have been very aware from the beginning of loading and testing programs.

We only load one app at a time and then run the tablet through it's paces. One force close and the last app is removed. We have everything we want, just many of the apps aren't the ones we were used to on our phones.

The thing that wasn't clearly communicated was how much of a "work in progress" Honeycomb was/is. If a user was aware of this, they would have a great experience, like we have had.

As for going to get an iPad2, I always say if you don't want to think, don't need the flexibility and superior utility of an Android device, go for an Apple. I was an iPhone guy for the first three iterations and checked out the iPad when it came out. Unfortunately, I'm an enterprise user and iOS was woefully inadequate for me, so now I'm on Android and have reduced my usage of a notebook by about 85%. I've been told Apple is getting better at the enterprise thing. Not sure where, as I'm no longer involved with them. Still no folder navigation, which is a non-starter, but I'm told they are getting better.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm convinced that the reason is some slightly incompatible program. We have three XOOMs in the family, all upgraded, and we have been very aware from the beginning of loading and testing programs.

We only load one app at a time and then run the tablet through it's paces. One force close and the last app is removed. We have everything we want, just many of the apps aren't the ones we were used to on our phones.

The thing that wasn't clearly communicated was how much of a "work in progress" Honeycomb was/is. If a user was aware of this, they would have a great experience, like we have had.

As for going to get an iPad2, I always say if you don't want to think, don't need the flexibility and superior utility of an Android device, go for an Apple. I was an iPhone guy for the first three iterations and checked out the iPad when it came out. Unfortunately, I'm an enterprise user and iOS was woefully inadequate for me, so now I'm on Android and have reduced my usage of a notebook by about 85%. I've been told Apple is getting better at the enterprise thing. Not sure where, as I'm no longer involved with them. Still no folder navigation, which is a non-starter, but I'm told they are getting better.

I agree with this. The only app that crashes on me is MyVerizon. I haven't had any issue with anything else and, have uninstalled apps that don't work correctly. The only reason i keep the verzin app is because it's useful and, it doesn't crash a lot.

I can't wait for ICS.

xoomer1

May 6, 2011
Visit site
we have had an ipad 1 since it came out, my kids love it for the games, with IOS 5 it locks up, slow and sluggish...my xoom, was pretty good, untill it came back with its updates, CNN is now force closing all the time, several other apps force closing, games are loading slower or freezing up and I have to force reboot it. Android needs to get the software right and quit trying to just sell products.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
we have had an ipad 1 since it came out, my kids love it for the games, with IOS 5 it locks up, slow and sluggish...my xoom, was pretty good, untill it came back with its updates, CNN is now force closing all the time, several other apps force closing, games are loading slower or freezing up and I have to force reboot it. Android needs to get the software right and quit trying to just sell products.
You mean Google needs to quit trying to just sell products. Android is their OS. Google actually doesn't make products. They license their OS to manufacturers that make products.

If you are having headaches with your XOOM, I recommend factory resetting the device and wiping it clean. Then go slowly as you load new applications. Use the tablet for as long as you can before you feel you need to load the next application. Don't just look for a force close. Keep the overall performance of the device in mind. Take a look at what's running. You may notice a slow down with a particular application. You may notice things that run in the background without ever calling them. Obviously you'll need to remove that application and find a working replacement.

Keep doing this for all your applications. I am certain you have a few applications that are not behaving and, ganged up and combined, they are messing with your system badly. And it's probably not you CNN app misbehaving. It's something else you have on the tablet that screws with your CNN app. To date, I have not had a problem with any big name / trusted source apps. At least I don't remember any. (FWIW, I don't run CNN, so I can't say this for sure in your case.)

And before you say it... yeah, I agree. It would be nice if you didn't have to do this, but that doesn't change the facts of this situation. The very thing that makes Android great is the thing that makes it suck. Any Tom, Dick or Harry can make an app and post it in the Market. Then you come along and say "Hey! That's just the app I've been looking for", not realizing it was coded by some lobotomized bozo who lives with his mother in Podunk. Why don't you realize it? Because the graphics look reasonable and it is what you've been looking for. ;-)

It would be great if Honeycomb was robust enough to handle these crap apps, but it obviously can't. Let's hope that ICS is a little better at it, because one thing is for sure... the crap apps written by losers in their parent's basements aren't going away. If anything, they will increase in number.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1