Xoom wifi problem at office, phone works tablet doesnt.

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
My office has a wifi connection that works as follows.
1. Connect to the network
2. Open Browser
3. Enter username/password on the browser page that loads.

After the above you can browse as you like.

I recently received the xoom 4g LTE and i get through steps 1 and 2 with no problem. Google then loads, and i can search and google returns results. The weird thing is that I cannot type in any urls or navigate to any page google returns. The browser just hangs for a few mins before returning a generic dns error when i try to do either.

Even more bizarre is i can connect to the network on my moto droid (original) phone and have zero issues but cant do the same thing on the tablet.

I know im connecting to the network as i get our company log in page.
I know im being verified as google searches (and i have made sure to search for unique things so im not seeing cache'd results)
Phone works without any issue.

What gives? Any suggestions or tips?
I can turn the wifi off and use the 4g without any problems.
Seems like it is something specific to the xoom wifi setting.

As im at my office, I do not believe a static IP would be an option (as i have read that is a solution to alot of wifi problems)

This connection is used by countless guests daily who are at our building on laptops and phones. I have no idea why my tablet would be any different? Thoughts?
Thanks
-Steve

Last edited:

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever tried going to xoom settings and scanning for wifi, then connect from there? Do you get to type in user and password when your browser loads first time?

With my city wifi I first connect then go to webpage to accept agreement, then I'm good.

Sent from my Xoom

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
From the xoom settings i can scan for and connect to the wifi network but i cant log in until i open the browser.

All morning i have been able to type in my user/pass each time after i would forget/reconnect to the network. For the last hour or two cant seem to get to the login page anymore.

being able to connect to and use google, (and not being able to connect to anything else) seemed very weird.
I changed my home page to yahoo and I cannot connect to it.

The only website i can get to is google. I can search and get current results in news/images/web/etc.

I thought this may be a dns issues (as im on a google platform here) but am unable to reach sites by putting their I.P.'s into the address bar either.

I can access my outlook and gmail through their clients (which also made me think it was a dns issues).
I can even access the market and search for apps. I didnt seem to be able to download any apps though.

all i can say is...strange,

Have also tried many soft/hard boots as well as scanning/forgetting all networks.

Id write it off to something on our work network but how can i sit next to my tablet and have no problems connecting on my droid phone?

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
It is just possible it is the setup at work. There has been a FEW times that I've had to use my pc for something other than the xoom.

Sent from my Xoom

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
It is just possible it is the setup at work. There has been a FEW times that I've had to use my pc for something other than the xoom.

Sent from my Xoom

I agree this is possible, but i still ask why i have no problems connecting and using the network over my phone.

We have hundreds of visitors a week that use this network with pcs/laptops/phone and im assuming tablets.

Is it something specfic to the xoom? Seems pretty unacceptable when every other device with wifi has no issues.

And how on earth can google and only google work????

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the fact that you seem to have some partial connection, is weird. I wish I could help more.

You try a different browser? Firefox, opera, or dolphin hd.

Sent from my Xoom

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
too bad you could not find someone else with a Xoom to see if you could borrow theirs and try it to see if it is a Xoom problem, or a your Xoom problem.

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
too bad you could not find someone else with a Xoom to see if you could borrow theirs and try it to see if it is a Xoom problem, or a your Xoom problem.

I have a buddy in the office with a xoom fe (wifi only) and he has the same issue. Another coworker has an ipad and she connects to the same network with no problems.

Given the other topics on xoom wifi issues its looking like this is a hardware issue (or hopefully a setting on the xoom).

wifi isnt rocket science.... so frustrating that my phone and every other wifi device we have in the office connects right up.

Castorshells

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried entering all info manually? SSID, IP Address, any security key. Whoever has the ipad or your pc, look at those settings and make sure they match.

Sent from my Xoom

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Small update... still cannot browse on the network.

I can connect to my home network with no problems (secured wpa)

On my office network, I CAN ping addresses and IPs (so dns appears to be working as a ping of yahoo.com is resolved into its IP).

So i can ping yahoo.com or its IP but when i enter it into the address window i cant browse to it.

It must be something with the ssh/https browser login and the xoom. Same question... Why can a 2 year old droid and every other wifi device we have in the office (including ipad) connect with no problems???

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
The more i read about the issue on the internet the more it sounds like a problem with captive portal and the xoom hardware *sigh*

I really hope that isnt the case.

andyman613

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm having exact same problem as you (hoots711) with new Xoom 32G
I found this (posted a couple of years ago) and possibly of some relevance.

Connected to network, only google website works - Windows 7 Forums

Given that the number of similar reports is small, it may be a confluence of several factors (device, router set up, operating systems) shared by a few users, otherwise we may have seen more comments/complaints. I doubt it is a general issue with Xoom hardware.

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm having exact same problem as you (hoots711) with new Xoom 32G
I found this (posted a couple of years ago) and possibly of some relevance.

Connected to network, only google website works - Windows 7 Forums

Given that the number of similar reports is small, it may be a confluence of several factors (device, router set up, operating systems) shared by a few users, otherwise we may have seen more comments/complaints. I doubt it is a general issue with Xoom hardware.

Thanks for the link. Im still looking for a solution. A couple peers got tablets for xmas and are experiencing the same thing. (A moto xoom FE and a galaxy tab 10.1, both wifi only) Both of their android phones work fine but they cant even get to the captive portal log in screen on their tablets (at least i make it that far).

I agree that it must be a combination of a router setting and the android software. We cant really make an official IT request as these are not company hardware...

hoots711

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Small update. Some sites work, some do not. As some coworkers and I are trying to figure it out we noticed some sites will work.

For example Sony USA - Consumer Electronics Products, Movies, Music, Games and Services will load

the following sites wont.
the following wont
yahoo.com
espn.com
msnbc.com
fox.com
abc.com

as i mentioned before i can search for items in the market and get results but when i try to download it will stay at 0% and not move.

Most apps (besides outlook and gmail) do not act as if they are connected.

Maybe someone can spot a technical pattern?

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Are you trying different browsers, or the same one?

Only reason I ask is because I was at a hotel that had one of those log in to browse aspects, and I had no problems. Not exactly sure if this is the same issue though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood