motorola xoom i want my time and money back

deecoop0351

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Is it me or did Motorola out a unfinished tablet on the market with the promise of having a complete device in the near future. But here it is 2012 and I still can't write anything to my SD card. Honey comb is a big fail but I don't know who to blame. (Maybe myself for buying the damn thing) now here comes another failed promise xoom is going to be the first tablets to get ics. Asus is less then two weeks of getting ics and any word from Motorola hell no. I defended my xoom from apple fan boys for long enough and I'm done next. Time somebody says their ipad is better I'm going to say your right.

Last edited by a moderator:

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't go that far I would rather use a cardboard box and call it a tablet, rather than use an ipad. just like how I rather use two cups tied together by string rather than use an iphone. Lol

Reactions: pauldroidr2d2

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
If xoom don't get ice soon I just go and get me a ipad and I hate apple but at least they wont pull this .

Because Ice Cream Sandwich is the Holy Grail?

Let me get this straight - your Xoom is completely non-functional without ICS, because...you cannot write to the SD card? (is there any other perceived deficiencies that might be addressed by ICS?)

You might want to take a look at the specs on those iPads. At least you won't have to be concerned about the ability to write to an SD card - because the iPad doesn't even have an SD slot, and never will.

Oh, and I'll give you $100 for that useless, non-functional, and way way too heavy Xoom of yours.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
How many other Tablets out there gave you a tablet that came out as a 3G tablet, and could be upgraded to the newer 4G technology that was coming out? (still waiting for the answer on this one)?

Why is it so important that you have a device that is the first to get the new ICS os? First you complain that Motorola puts out a product that was not quite ready, but in the same breath, you complain that they are not the first one to put ICS on a tablet, because they would rather wait until everything works properly.

It looks like you should just switch over the Apple. At least you know that you will only have one tablet to choose from and will not have to complain when another manufacturer comes out with something better, or complain when another manufacturer gets the newest IOS before your version of Ipad gets it.

Good luck with your choice. I am quite happy with my Xoom. Have not had a problem. Sent my worthless tablet in to get it upgraded to the newest 4g technology without problem. And will upgrade to the newest OS once if is available, since my tablet is working quite well on the current OS that exists on the tablet.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I feel about the same nd to make things worse asus is updating the Prime with ICS today .

Speaking of "unfinished products" it seems ASUS has announced that it will be releasing a new version of the TP (Transformer Prime (the TF700T) ) with a redesigned case that will supposedly address the issue with limited WiFi range that users have been finding.

Now, don't get me wrong. The TP is a great device, and kudos to ASUS for getting both Tegra 3 and ICS out the door ASAP. But, like the Xoom, they haven't been issue-free.

I'd love to get ICS on my Xoom, but I'm okay with waiting til the bugs are worked out first. I will not be surprised if within the next weeks, we start hearing about glitches with TP's running ICS - because ASUS didn't do those "soak tests", etc.

There's a cost to rushing to market. Motorola suffered with the Xoom (even though it is a great device anyway), and ASUS is risking the same now.

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Don't forget that seamless multi tasking with the iPad. And how about that thumb keyboard which allows decent typing in landscape mode. Aren't those iPad widgets beautiful, oops never mind.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Reactions: slwerner

JerryRogan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if the early pioneers that traveled west complained about the bumps they hit because somebody else promised them smooth roads (someday).

Well, I consider us early Xoom owners pioneers. Yep, we've had some bumps, but we've also had a very nice tool to use for the past nine months or so.

I've had an IPad - do you want to talk about bumps in the road?

Quit your gripping and smell the roses, or turn the thing off and send it to me!

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If xoom don't get ice soon I just go and get me a ipad and I hate apple but at least they wont pull this .
Oh yeah, Apple is benevolent. Just ask anyone who had the beta of Siri running on their iPhone4. As soon as they released iOS5 and the iPhone4S, they pulled Siri off of all those phones. Yeah, just go running up to Apple with a big ol' wet kiss. ;-)

I'm as annoyed as any other XOOM owner. Motorola Solutions is run by morons. They had so much potential, but stepped on their own *you-know-what*. It will take some time before we see if Google can fix it. Their apparent support for the current management is totally misplaced, so that doesn't foster much hope.

But to say an iPad is better than an Android tablet. That's insane unless all you do with a tablet is entertain yourself. I use my XOOM in enterprise and there's no touching Android for my environment. I just couldn't do what I do with an iPad. Maybe as Apple adds more features it will become a useful enterprise tool, but at the moment it's mostly toy.

I think the problem a lot of new Android users have is they are actually looking for an entertainment toy. Android is mostly an enterprise tool and moving toward satisfying the toy-minded. iPad is mostly a toy and moving toward enterprise applications.

So if you're living with your parents, are a gamer, music nut, incessant video watcher, etc... go get an iPad. It will "just work" for you. Your brain won't be taxed in any way and all your high school friends will think it's cool.

If you're a serious person, making a living, possess half a brain, and want something to assist you to thrive and prosper, then an Android tablet is for you.

It may not be like that forever, but it's like that right now.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that seamless multi tasking with the iPad. And how about that thumb keyboard which allows decent typing in landscape mode. Aren't those iPad widgets beautiful, oops never mind.

Oops! Seems you forgot to also mention the vast superiority of Apples 4G/LTE implementation. It must be sooooooo much fast than the Xoom's

rickt1152

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Oops! Seems you forgot to also mention the vast superiority of Apples 4G/LTE implementation. It must be sooooooo much fast than the Xoom's

My bad, forgot that one as well as about a dozen other major features the xoom has that the iPad is missing.

I also have an iPad 2 in my house and make these comments with substantial experience with both devices. The iPad is a great media device and is very smooth, but overall, I almost always reach for the xoom when I have something to do.

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
My bad, forgot that one as well as about a dozen other major features the xoom has that the iPad is missing.

I also have an iPad 2 in my house and make these comments with substantial experience with both devices. The iPad is a great media device and is very smooth, but overall, I almost always reach for the xoom when I have something to do.

I'm always amused by these posters who are going to teach one vendor (Moto/Verizon/etc.) a lesson by dumping the device they've already paid for, and buying a competing model. Proposing to take a big step backwards, especially if it involves entirely giving up the feature that is an annoyance (i.e. being able to write to an SD card from within apps), just adds to that silliness.

My oldest daughter and her husband have iPad 2's (WiFi), and do my in-laws (one WiFi, one 3G).

The screens on the iPads are, well, just beautiful (my wife's Samsung Tab is just as good), but there are so many things that all four of them envy about my (and my other daughter's ) Xooms. How easily they hook up to an HDMI TV, with a inexpensive cable, and without locking up when using some $35 adapter; add-on swappable storage with inexpensive micro SD cards; and especially the the way they work like a flash drive when hooked up to a PC (no need to use iTunes to sync.

My father-in-law did something wrong when syncing, and ended up with 6 copies each of aroung 800 pictures he tried to put on his iPad. The iPads photo manager could not even delete them. I was floored by such basic dis-functionality in such a highly touted and pricey device.

I'll buy another Xoom, or any other Android tablet before I step down to an iPad.

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
i will say it again here also, you bought it so deal with it. you apparently did not do your research on this product when you bought. so its not to your liking? oh well, try something else (root) or go buy your ipad.
its called a choice people. you made that choice and now you want to complain. we as americans have choices in our lives. we dont like one thing try another. you have to do your research on a product before you buy it. you just dont walk into a car dealer and buy a 30k car without doing some research or even test drive it do you? i know 30k to a $300 item is a big comparison but think about it. same concept.
example i have the thunderbolt and my BIGGEST complaint was the battery. it took me months to get this thing tweaked out to where i can go 2 full days of use of it now. you know why? cause i did my research, now this thing flies and the battery is awesome. i learned what i can and cant do on my phone. i read the forums, THE most useful info can be found right here in these forums on your product
of choice.

ElConquistador1963

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
So what that ICS is not on XOOM first. The MOTO website says it IS coming. How much will it cost us to upgrade? NOTHING!! Complaining about something for nothing is a classic spoiled reaction. I want to be first and to h*** with everyone else. Cool you jets bud. Its not the end of the owrld. It will come. You just need to be patient. You got what you paid for and then some. Nothing at the time of purchase stated or guaranteed ICS would come to XOOM or even first. If this is all you ahve to complain about then i guess you have a pretty good life! no go out and get a life!

pauldroidr2d2

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Speaking of "unfinished products" it seems ASUS has announced that it will be releasing a new version of the TP (Transformer Prime (the TF700T) ) with a redesigned case that will supposedly address the issue with limited WiFi range that users have been finding.

Now, don't get me wrong. The TP is a great device, and kudos to ASUS for getting both Tegra 3 and ICS out the door ASAP. But, like the Xoom, they haven't been issue-free.

I'd love to get ICS on my Xoom, but I'm okay with waiting til the bugs are worked out first. I will not be surprised if within the next weeks, we start hearing about glitches with TP's running ICS - because ASUS didn't do those "soak tests", etc.

There's a cost to rushing to market. Motorola suffered with the Xoom (even though it is a great device anyway), and ASUS is risking the same now.

The transformer may not be issue free. But, no matter how you cut it, the Xoom has been botched from the start by Motorola. Especially when you factor in the delay in upgrading the device.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
First the Motorola xoom wifi SD card issue is Google's fault not Motorolas they designed HC for the tablet and moto had no control on features on USA wifi version they just test then disrubute it. That is why Asus and euro xooms could write to SD cards they modified the code like devolpers are currently doing

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
The transformer may not be issue free. But, no matter how you cut it, the Xoom has been botched from the start by Motorola. Especially when you factor in the delay in upgrading the device.

Botched?

Hardly.

You see, I bought my Xoom back in Feb so that I could use it for mobile computing. It's done an outstanding job of that for me.

While the Moto/VZ/Google struggled to get their collective act together to deliver such things as SD card (read) access and LTE, these were but "perks" to me. My Xoom has been getting the job done all along, and has proven to be a great investment for me (even @ $600/2-yr contract, and $35/mo - 3GB). Month after month I use up most of 3Gb, and likely a lot more data when I'm on WiFi. I use it several hours in any given day, with a significant portion of that time getting actual work done on it.

Had it never got SD access nor LTE, I'd still be getting great amounts of usage/work out of it.

I rather suspect that a lot of people who imagine themselves "early adapters" really had little idea of how they would utilize a tablet, but wanted to be out-front of the techno-curve.

I already had a very good Idea of how I was going to be using mine, having been through variety of device trying to figure out what was going to best serve me in my mobile computing needs. Prior to getting my oh-so functional Xoom, the best "fit" I'd found was my Droid X phone. It had usable apps (Documents to Go) and true mobile access (3G) that allowed me to take advantage of cloud computing (Google Docs, DropBox, etc.) to access and edit work product, and enter test result data as I moved from lab to lab, and to take notes and create diagrams. It even lets me hook directly into our conference room HDMI TV's with an inexpensive (if you get them through Amazon) cable, and give presentations (all without the previous need to check out AV equipment, nor worry about connectivity issues). The Xoom offers the same, with a more usable screen size.

It was actually more functional, over-all, that the tablet PC that I had leased for a time to test (and a whole lot less expensive in the long-run).

Needless to say, I am extremely happy with my Xoom. Sure, I'd like even more, and I will undoubtedly be buying an upgrade in the future (I'm holding out for larger screen size, higher res, more memory and, hopefully, greater USB host functionality. These seem not to be unreasonable expectations for subsequent generations of tablets, but as the improvements thus far are essentially "marginal", I'm perfectly happy to keep using my Xoom, even though it has fallen well off the techno-lead. I don't even mind if I end up skipping a whole generation or two of tablets in order to wait for the one I really want.

My Xoom isn't meant to impress people (the way I see a significant number of people using (under-) using their iPads), nor to make me look like some sort of leading-edge technophile. It's to help me get lots of real work done.