How to Flash ICS for WiFi Xoom NO ROOT REQUIRED

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
How to flash Android Version 4.0.3 ICS for Motorola Xoom WiFi U.S. Version Only:

Before we begin let me start with some key information. This is for the U.S. WiFi Xoom only. Your device must be stock and unrooted for this to work.
This guide is not for rooted Motorola Xooms nor is it for the LTE Motorola Xoom

Here is what you will need:
  • Motorola Xoom Wifi only Version
  • OTG Cable for full USB connection
  • USB Thumb drive (I used a 4gb thumb drive. It seems bigger drives may cause issues)
  • Download the update: http://www.mediafire.com/?z3uyng6bysnau4b Place the .zip onto the thumb drive

***Please not that you cannot install the update via the microSD card slot on the Xoom. It must be done via OTG cable or Micro USB Male to USB A Female Adapter.

***Please familiarize yourself with the power and volume buttons as this is what we will be using to flash the update.

Let us begin with these steps:

1. Power Down Device
  2. Power the device
  3. At the Motorola Dual Core Screen (wait 2 seconds after screen appears)>>> Press volume down button once. You should see "RECOVERY" at the top left corner of the screen. (If you see anything else there reboot the system again and repeat the process) Now Press the volume UP button to select this option.
  4. You should now be at a screen with a green android, that has gears in his chest, and we should see a yellow hazard sign.>>> Press Volume Up and Power Button at the same time. This is the only way to bring up the recovery menu.
  5. Now use the volume buttons to scroll down to : Apply update from USB drive. Press the power button to select.
  6. Now this brings you to our final step: The package install menu>>> scroll down to where you have the .zip using volume up and down. Select the file with the power button.
  7. Now just sit back and let your Xoom do the rest. And enjoy ICS!!!!!

Please remember if at any time you selected the wrong option Press and hold the power to restart the tablet.

Last edited:

Small_law

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Re: Motorola Xoom ICS update. FLASH WITH NO ROOT REQUIRED

I used an OTG cable and USB thumbnail drive to flash it and it went flawlessly. If you have a stock unrooted Wifi Xoom, do this now.

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

I used an OTG cable and USB thumbnail drive to flash it and it went flawlessly. If you have a stock unrooted Wifi Xoom, do this now.

Ok and quick question if I install then another update comes out im good right? This isnt like rooting

studiozut

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site

Will this brick my LTE xoom or just not support data/radios?

Last edited:

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

i wouldt flash this for LTE Xoom. This file is for WiFi only .Remember the LTE has a few more radios than the WiFi Xoom.

Reactions: studiozut

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

It says failed to read sd card?? WTF

Last edited:

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

No it doesn't come with an OTG cable. The camera connection kit will work, though. Also, you can't have an SD card mounted for this to work. At least from what I read. Several people said it wouldn't flash until they removed the SD card. So it must be done using an OTG usb cable with flash drive and no SD card. And ******** where's the 4g version?! :D

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

If anhyone has any luck please post some info. and let us know how this build is

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

A coworker of mine installed it on his wifi Xoom and loves it. Much snappier.

lostinspace

May 19, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the step by step reminder harold42483 , it worked just as you described. ICS looks great so far!

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Thanks for the step by step reminder harold42483 , it worked just as you described. ICS looks great so far!

Your welcome and i can't wait to try it. Unfortunately im stuck at work until 11pm. Hey does face unlock work?

tonyflo04

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

I did the manual update to ICS, pretty easy took less than 10 minutes and it looks pretty nice. some of my widgets are acting screwy, but I can relaunch them I assume.

SamuriHL

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site

My coworker has reported a couple FC's so far. Wondering if the cache is causing people some issues.

roadrat

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
No it doesn't come with an OTG cable. The camera connection kit will work, though. Also, you can't have an SD card mounted for this to work. At least from what I read. Several people said it wouldn't flash until they removed the SD card. So it must be done using an OTG usb cable with flash drive and no SD card. And ******** where's the 4g version?! :D
Stupid question... What is a OTG cable?

lostinspace

May 19, 2010
Visit site

No face recognition setting I can find in security settings. I had to uninstall and re-install Netflix to get the latest ICS compatible version, now it works. Informant does not work but the market already shows comments from users about incompatibility with ICS so we'll have to wait for the dev of that app; and I expect there may be a few others which need updating. Screen shot works (Down volume+power). Stock browser is much faster and smoother, seems to be working better than Opera. Almost feels like a new device :)

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

Just applied the update manually and I must say it feels like I bought a new tablet. Everything is so much smother and faster. I I love ICS

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucharmer