Just what will ICS do for the Xoom?

flagstare

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Call me thick !! but I just don't have a clue what this upgrade will do for my xoom !! Will it enhace it's performance? will it speed it up, make the battery last longer, Will it make it do the kind of things that i Bought it for in the first place like make skype work etc.

TOM

OlReagan

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Re: Just what will ICS do for the xoom ???????

It's pretty and performance increased. Skype already worked before. What else did you buy it to do that it couldn't do? And is 10 hours not enough battery life?

jpprice

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site

Its not going to do anything revolutionary like you are asking for. At the most it might speed the UI up a bit and and some under the hood stuff. Other than that...its just eye candy.

flagstare

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

this post is not being sarcastic i honestly do not understand what this upgrade will do for my Xoom. and yes skype worked but not anymore, games wont operate on facebook, it wont open video attachments from email and if it fixes any of the previous points i would be happy, have even tried other video chat programmes but none as good as skype, with family at the other side of the globe video chat is a big issue, the games not a big deal thats the kids gripe, the inability to open video attachments is also a big issue,. So any constructive info on ICS would be of great assistance.

TOM

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

It is actually a big change. here is what is new.

• Speedier transitions. switching between apps is smooth and scrolling is super fast.
  • The browser is much faster and you can now force web pages to show in desktop version.
  • New gmail app. much smoother and you can now swipe left or right between messages.
  • multitask menu. You can now swipe applications away.
  • Camera: new ICS camera. takes pictures much faster and the pictures seem clearer. Ther are now more option for pictures. Like you can record and it does live face morphing.
  • Gallery is musch cleaner looking and faster.
  • It has all new notification and ringtones
  • new dock mode. When you charge via the charging dock the tablet goes directly into clock mode, so you see a clock where if you press it , the screen dims, and if you press and hold it turn blue.
  • New lock screen
  • You can now create folders for apps
  • Notifications: you can swipe a notification away to clear that notification of hit " X" to dimiss all notifications

harold42483

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site

It is actually a big change. here is what is new.

• Speedier transitions. switching between apps is smooth and scrolling is super fast.
  • The browser is much faster and you can now force web pages to show in desktop version.
  • New gmail app. much smoother and you can now swipe left or right between messages.
  • multitask menu. You can now swipe applications away.
  • Camera: new ICS camera. takes pictures much faster and the pictures seem clearer. Ther are now more option for pictures. Like you can record and it does live face morphing.
  • Gallery is musch cleaner looking and faster.
  • It has all new notification and ringtones
  • new dock mode. When you charge via the charging dock the tablet goes directly into clock mode, so you see a clock where if you press it , the screen dims, and if you press and hold it turn blue.
  • New lock screen
  • You can now create folders for apps
  • Notifications: you can swipe a notification away to clear that notification of hit " X" to dimiss all notifications

slwerner

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

this post is not being sarcastic i honestly do not understand what this upgrade will do for my Xoom. and yes skype worked but not anymore, games wont operate on facebook, it wont open video attachments from email and if it fixes any of the previous points i would be happy, have even tried other video chat programmes but none as good as skype, with family at the other side of the globe video chat is a big issue, the games not a big deal thats the kids gripe, the inability to open video attachments is also a big issue,. So any constructive info on ICS would be of great assistance.

TOM

Your first post made it seem as though you had not yet installed ICS on your Xoom, but were simply questioning what advantages you would receive if you did. Is that correct?

However, in your follow-up, especially in noting those things which were working, but now do not, it would seem as though you DID install ICS, and have found these issues afterward.

For clarity, and so that others might be better able to address the issues you are having (and this would go for anyone else as well), it's always a good idea to include pertinent information including if your Xoom is WiFi-only, LTE, or even still 3G; as well as the information about source and build if you have installed ICS.

The semi-official 'Soak Test" version (for WiFI) is not the same ICS as the CM versions. If you received the upgrade as part of the "Soak Testing" you need to let Motorola (I believe it's Moto you would report these too, and I assume they informed testers how to do so?) about these issues so that they will know what they need to address in subsequent revisions.

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I thought you solved the video attachment problem, according to your post yesterday on my recommendation to check out MXPlayer.

I will say that sometimes, going into the APP Market to search for apps catered to your needs will vastly improve your overall Android experience.

I found this to be true for video, as well as browsers.

I can not address Skype, as I do not use it.

From everything I have read, it will speed up performance, and make the tablet a much better user experience.

Good luck

Zman1001

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site

Your first post made it seem as though you had not yet installed ICS on your Xoom, but were simply questioning what advantages you would receive if you did. Is that correct?

However, in your follow-up, especially in noting those things which were working, but now do not, it would seem as though you DID install ICS, and have found these issues afterward.

For clarity, and so that others might be better able to address the issues you are having (and this would go for anyone else as well), it's always a good idea to include pertinent information including if your Xoom is WiFi-only, LTE, or even still 3G; as well as the information about source and build if you have installed ICS.

The semi-official 'Soak Test" version (for WiFI) is not the same ICS as the CM versions. If you received the upgrade as part of the "Soak Testing" you need to let Motorola (I believe it's Moto you would report these too, and I assume they informed testers how to do so?) about these issues so that they will know what they need to address in subsequent revisions.

Based on threads yesterday, he has a Xoom Wifi running Honeycomb 3.2

Facebook games did not work - he says the games startup, but then shutdown and go to desktop.

Since he is posting this today, my guess is that he still is on 3.2 wifi, since the OTA is being sent out in waves, which means it is imminent, but has not reached him yet, and he is preparing.

flagstare

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site

Hi

i have not downloaded it yet, the issues have developed since i upgraded to 3.2 def the skype one ( worked fine until i upgraded). the others i'm not so sure about since the xoom was a xmas present i havnt had it that long and am still plodding through it all.

My xoom is wifi only, I upgraded to 3.2 at the beginning of January I'm located in the UK.

Please be patient with me i'm new to my xoom and this forum, attempting to find and solve any issue that arise and am trying to soak up all the info.

Last edited:

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie