Xoom suddenly dropping Wifi connection

mjuniper

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Wifi Xoom in the beginning of April last year and it has worked flawlessly since. But yesterday afternoon it started dropping its wifi connection 1-3 times per minute for 5-30 seconds. I know the wireless network is solid because none of my other devices are having any problems (and the Xoom never has before). Nothing changed yesterday that i know of with the Xoom or my wireless network. I've rebooted the Xoom twice.

I opened Wifi Analyzer and just watched it - when I lose my connection, Wifi Analyzer shows no networks - here at home it usually shows 6 or so. When it suddenly sees signals again, it connects to mine immediately.

I have 'Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep' set to 'Always' and I always have. I messed around with that setting with no apparent change in this behavior.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm thinking about re-paving it but I'd rather not do that. I'm concerned that this may be a hardware problem since no software has changed and since it seems to not see any wireless signals when it cuts out.

Thanks

mjuniper

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, it looks like the problem is resolved. Somebody (on the Motorola Support Forum, I think) suggested reducing the DHCP lease duration. Mine was set to 999 hours so I reduced it to 96 hours and rebooted the router. That was around 3 hours ago and my Xoom hasn't dropped its connection since.

It seems that the Broadcomm firmware supporting WiFi on the Xoom in ICS can get locked and recycle the connection under certain circumstances.

gitit20

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
It was most likely just rebooting the router that did it mine at home will get wonkie on just one of my devices rebooting the router fixes it Evey time have to do that about once every 4 to 5 months or so....

saggio

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
suggested reducing the DHCP lease duration.
Unquote

How do I do that on a non-rooted wiring doom running ice?