how to force 4.04 OTA to your xoom (works)

cbill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
A big NEGATIVE here in NorCal. Everything seems much slower in this rollout!!

Have tried Recovery with OTG/USB, and clearing Google framework cache. Nothing left to do but be patient.

Think I'll play some Gem Spinner!

wffjr3782

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
Worked on my 3rd try. Thanks.

What is this data I just cleared? Will this mess anything up? I guess its too late now anyway but I would like to know.

Thanks
Bill

mtfarm

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, for the heads up. After I figured out where the Google framework was and cleared data I shut the tablet down and restarted it said at bottom tool bar I had updates available. so far it does seem faster and less choppy on chrome. I don't think it could have gotten worse.

Google has been good at making updates for the Xoom but they sure aren't easy to get, a regular user would give up. Now for my nexus s Google has failed so bad they make the Microsoft vista debacle look sucessfull. Prob the last nexus I buy.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Interesting! This method worked for me too. I was beginning to think I would NEVER get the update. After clearing, it complained three times about Google Maps "Unfortunately Dying". I then killed any Google apps running, and tried to check for updates (for the zillionth time over the last several days). And yes, I saw it say the date of the last check for updates was 1969 after clearing the Google Framework data (whatever THAT is). BINGO, it said 4.0.4 update available and started the download and then install.

To me, this tends to indicate that their "check updates" button is just fake. Or, maybe, clearing the framework data makes it look like the tablet is new and never updated and forces an update to the latest OS version by skipping the artificial delays put in place. Hmm

Last edited:

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Ug, after the 4.0.4 update, I had lots of problems with the Play Store. I am getting errors after opening it, errors trying to download or update things. I tried killing and restarting it several times. Then rebooted the tablet- same thing.

Then followed this instructions from another thread:

"but what seems to work for me is to clear "google play store" data and clear "Google services framework" data. reboot. then go back into market and wait. a min then try to download again."

Now I get an error 921 trying to update anything, and "error processing purchase" trying to download/install a new free app. I can uninstall an existing app, though. I have reported it to Google support and I am just waiting.

Then I made it worse by following instructions in another thread to remove updates to Play Store. Now updates to applications or trying to install new apps return with the error "XXXX could not be downloaded due to an error (-101).

UPDATE: The solution was- I killed Play, cleared it's data, then removed/deleted my Google Account from the tablet, then add it back again, then went back into Play, and it works.

Last edited:

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Worked for me too.
Settings -> Apps -> All -> Google Services Framework -> Clear Data

Reboot and check the notifications.
Update was available and installed without a hitch.
Will post more if I find problems after a couple of days use.

ricardor973

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
That was sweet, been waiting/checking for the OTA since they announced it. Thanks, XDA, KC and AC.

PS
It worked like a charm

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49