I had a very strange pop-up box on my Xoom.

y0diggity

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Last night around 2am I got up to go to the bathroom and when I came back in to go to bed, I noticed my Xoom was lit up. I went over to check it and it was on the lock screen with a white-outlined box. Inside the box it said something like "OMG It's about time!" I tapped the box and it went to open a browser window but it only came up to a white screen. Weirdest thing. I thought maybe it was wanting to perform the fabled ICS upgrade or something, but alas, nothing doing.
Anyone have any similar experiences. I'm sorry if that's not the EXACT wording, but it was 2am and I wasn't exactly wide awake. I'm getting old, guys. :)

pappyfire

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like you are getting push adds. Have you loaded any apps recently? Some free apps have Airpush embedded in them. Airpush reports your location from your GPS and then sends you location based ads, it can be very annoying plus it uses your data. Go to the market and get yourself an Airpush detector, I use one called Addon Detector, it will give you a list of any programs with Airpush or anything else of that nature. Then you uninstall the offending app and the ads will go away.

ScandaLeX

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
It sounds like you are getting push adds. Have you loaded any apps recently? Some free apps have Airpush embedded in them. Airpush reports your location from your GPS and then sends you location based ads, it can be very annoying plus it uses your data. Go to the market and get yourself an Airpush detector, I use one called Addon Detector, it will give you a list of any programs with Airpush or anything else of that nature. Then you uninstall the offending app and the ads will go away.

Very good apps indeed. I for one wouldn't enjoy ads pushed to my phone. I support devs by purchasing apps.

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk 2

y0diggity

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Well, thanks. I d/l'd that application and it says there aren't any addons in my apps. I wonder what caused it. I'm a little worried now. It only happened once and I really wish I was a bit more awake and paying closer attention. :(
I'm like ScandaLex, I buy my apps. I'm sure I could find them for free somewhere, but I worry about things like this happening if I do. I'll keep an eye out and if it happens again, I'll write it down exactly and also the URL it tried to go to. I wonder if checking my history would reveal that website. I'll try that.

enjoylife949

Mar 5, 2011
Visit site
Do you have a Xoom with Verizon service? I am just guessing here but I read a long time ago that people were getting Text messages via the cell service. I wonder if it was a random number spam text message.

y0diggity

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if that's it! I'm going to try to text it and see.

**edit** no dice. But like you said, could've just been a glitch. Not a big deal, just really weird.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greenbelte15