After looking at the XYBOARD (wifi only) I'm about ready to bite on the Moto Xoom Family Edition ... please convince me otherwise or confirm I'm making a smart decision for my usage....

XYBoard Pros
    - Slim / nicer feeling (I think) - I've handled the LTE XYBOARDs at a Verizon store but haven't actually touched a XOOM FE which I've heard is nicer than original XOOM but still probably a bit clunkier than XYBOARDs.

- Motocast (I think this is a pro) - Does XOOM FE support Motocast? It's not in the fly-sheets so I don't want to assume it does. I'm thinking of having all my music local on the tablet but it'd be nice to pull up photos / movies via WIFI while in home ... hoping this is available for XOOM FE

- Was thinking of getting 8.2 XYBOARD ... simply because of price, but I do like the smaller size actually - more kid friendly?

XOOM FE Pros

- microSD card - expandable storage for music/photos local (hope to sync via Motocast as mentioned above)

- PRICE!!!! $280 10.1" FE (refurb) vs $400 8.2" XYBOARD

- cheaper accessories available?? I don't know, maybe I'm grasping ...

Anything that's really going to make a difference between these to have me not steal the XOOM FE? It seems to be the best bang for the buck for wifi only tablets now.

Side note on docking - I have the Photon 4G phone (sprint) and actually really like the Motorola car dock. I was thinking of looking into one of the HD Station docks that supports both tablets and phones but I'm don't really see the huge use for the tablet that a micro hdmi cable can't do - the tablet is good for browsing already and don't see a need for Webtop on a tablet as I do on a smaller phone (which if I get a tablet, the desire to use Webtop on my phone might go away.)

Let me know what you think.....
    05-03-2012 01:53 PM
    Honestly, I would say neither.

If your in to modding and customization I recommend the OG Xoom. If not I would go with the Asus TF300 or the new Acer A510.

The newer generation is just going to get better and cheaper. Maybe even wait a bit longer to see what's coming next.
    05-03-2012 05:32 PM
    The newer generation is just going to get better and cheaper. Maybe even wait a bit longer to see what's coming next.
    I'll second this comment. The original 3G/LTE XOOM is great. I've had it since it's release in late Feb 2011. I'd still recommend it if you could get it for $200 or close. Lot's of ROMs out there. Easy to upgrade. A pleasure.

But unless you do that, I'd go with nothing for now. NVIDIA has directly said, and Google has hinted at, a slew of new low priced / high performance tablets coming out this Summer.

If you REALLY need something now, buy refurb or a deal.
    tube517 likes this.
    05-04-2012 07:31 AM
    I purchased the FE (refurb) from from an Ebay seller for $240.00 and I'm personally very happy with it. Motorola XOOM Family Edition 16GB, Wi-Fi, 10.1in - Black 723755000605 | eBay
    05-04-2012 02:10 PM
    +1 on the wait

But if you must ... you're better off going with the og Xoom if for updates alone. The fe does not get updated as often.

Personally Id wait for the rumored google tab.
    Cheers
    05-04-2012 02:22 PM
    After looking at the XYBOARD (wifi only) I'm about ready to bite on the Moto Xoom Family Edition ... please convince me otherwise or confirm I'm making a smart decision for my usage....

XYBoard Pros
    - Slim / nicer feeling (I think) - I've handled the LTE XYBOARDs at a Verizon store but haven't actually touched a XOOM FE which I've heard is nicer than original XOOM but still probably a bit clunkier than XYBOARDs.

- Motocast (I think this is a pro) - Does XOOM FE support Motocast? It's not in the fly-sheets so I don't want to assume it does. I'm thinking of having all my music local on the tablet but it'd be nice to pull up photos / movies via WIFI while in home ... hoping this is available for XOOM FE

- Was thinking of getting 8.2 XYBOARD ... simply because of price, but I do like the smaller size actually - more kid friendly?

XOOM FE Pros

- microSD card - expandable storage for music/photos local (hope to sync via Motocast as mentioned above)

- PRICE!!!! $280 10.1" FE (refurb) vs $400 8.2" XYBOARD

- cheaper accessories available?? I don't know, maybe I'm grasping ...

Anything that's really going to make a difference between these to have me not steal the XOOM FE? It seems to be the best bang for the buck for wifi only tablets now.

Side note on docking - I have the Photon 4G phone (sprint) and actually really like the Motorola car dock. I was thinking of looking into one of the HD Station docks that supports both tablets and phones but I'm don't really see the huge use for the tablet that a micro hdmi cable can't do - the tablet is good for browsing already and don't see a need for Webtop on a tablet as I do on a smaller phone (which if I get a tablet, the desire to use Webtop on my phone might go away.)

Let me know what you think.....
    I had the xoom fe. I liked it, but it wasn't for me due to no roms possible. If you do not want to root it then it is amazing!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
    05-04-2012 02:36 PM
    If you buy it you can't be a itard ......enuff said
    05-04-2012 05:18 PM
    OG Xoom Wifi or wait for upcoming nexus tab.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    05-04-2012 05:53 PM
    If you buy it you can't be a itard ......enuff said
    Hey! I got an ipad! :P
    Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt
    05-04-2012 06:39 PM
    Keep an eye on http://1saleaday.com/

I got the Acer a100 for $179.00. You will find a lot of good deals everyday on that site.
    05-04-2012 10:59 PM
    Keep an eye on Daily Deals, 1 Sale A Day

I got the Acer a100 for $179.00. You will find a lot of good deals everyday on that site.
    DING DING DING!!!!

This is what I ended up going with. Couldn't pass it up ... along with $40 of accessories (32GB card, case, protector, etc) - this is not only a steal but my wife is going to LOVE the smaller size for her and the kids. 90% of our this tablet's use will be for her at home w/ quick browsing, facebook, books, music etc ....

Also, this gives me a bit more change in my pocket to get an integrated (local) syncing solution like SyncMate for my Mac which will translate to all my devices (one of the reasons I was going to try staying with Motorola via Motocast)

Hopefully saving this much money and size I might be able to justify a more sleek and powerful tablet for myself later, but right now I just don't travel enough to be the one using it ...

If I look back at my original pros/cons list for XYBOARD and XOOM FE - this solution has all the pros from both - smaller, sleek, PRICE, expandable memory, syncing (via SyncMate), PRICE, PRICE, PRICE ............. Thanks for the input everybody!!!!
    05-07-2012 12:19 PM
    The really nice thing is that ICS is already available.

You should be able to update it when you get it.
    05-07-2012 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD