Xoom vs. Nexus 7

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I have a Ipad 3 and a Asus Transformer TF3300T . The Nexus 7 is on preorder. I have become somewhat of a device junkie and hardly use my Xoom anymore. It's rooted but I think I will return it to stock, update to ICS and wait for JB.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'll keep my zoom for now. I do use my tablet a good amount. I didn't think I would but I ended up using it all the time. Especially on flights, great for movies.

jeres88

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently working on selling my Xoom to get a Nexus 7. Originally, I wanted the Xoom to replace a laptop, but it doesn't quite hit the mark for that use case, I mostly use it as a glorified E-reader. I also feel that a 7" would work for an E-reader better than a 10.1" would. So, despite the fact that I do like my Xoom, and I do use it often, I feel that the Nexus 7 will be more suited for my needs. I'm also a bit tired of Verizon blocking my updates and having to flash ROMs just to get the latest OS at a reasonable time...

So, it really depends on what you want/need. If you aren't using your Xoom now, there is a pretty good chance you won't use your Nexus 7, unless the reason you don't use the Xoom is size/weight.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Verizon Xoom from release day, I was gonna hold off to see if they release a 10" Nexus before upgrading. However I went ahead and snagged one at Sam's Club yesterday. I use my tablet for almost everything. Instead of selling my Xoom I decided to keep it for use around the house etc, and for traveling away from home I'll take my N7.

Simonbarsinistr

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I really like my Xoom, and use it quite a bit. I wish the development was still going strong like my nexus, that's the only thing that would make it better. But it still has good specs, can handle high overclocking, and is totally unlocked. I still think it holds its own next to new tablets. It is pretty heavy, though, I think 7 inches might be the ideal tablet size.

Sent from my Xoomin Unicorn

Smokexz

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I use my Xoom when I am reading the news or watching reviews or Netflix, it's a great device when you want to just relax on your bed. I have 64 gigs of storage on this thing so I have so much space for my movies and shows and the screen is still really nice to look at, hopefully though Jelly Bean makes it much faster for it is kind of slow. And as for those who say they cannot find a niche for the device, I feel ya, I have a Cr-48 and I thought that my Xoom wasn't much better, but space is much better on the Xoom, screen is much easier to look at, and the battery life can last longer on and offline. Ultra books would make a nice replacement but still I think Tablets are for if you are going ultra portable or want to enjoy something laying down on the couch or bed.

Sent from my Xoom

cordoni

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Just got a nexus. I use my tablet almost exclusively for web browsing and news reading. The Xoom was just very heavy to do hat with. The nexus just fits my use better for that. Also, Google Currents is awesome on the nexus.

I still like my Xoom, but the nexus just better fits my needs.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I still love my Xoom and use it about 6 hours every day. It is unlocked, overclocked to 1.5 Ghz, and running the latest EOS nightly release (101) of ICS. Until a 2 Ghz quad core 10" tablet is released, I will continue to use this bad boy.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Jelly Bean on the Xoom is awesome! (EOS 3 Nightly 113) It runs just as well as the N7 but on a 10" screen and still a true tablet layout. Project butter was just as effective on the Xoom as the N7 and Gnex.

It would be nice to drop another $250 but JB on the Xoom has kept me happy fora couple weeks now and its been nice to watch this N7 hype.

Last edited:

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Jelly Bean on the Xoom is awesome! (EOS 3 Nightly 113) It runs just as well as the N7 but on a 10" screen and still a true tablet layout. Project butter was just as effective on the Xoom as the N7 and Gnex.

It would be nice to drop another $250 but JB on the Xoom has kept me happy fora couple weeks now and its been nice to watch this N7 hype.

Yeah, I upgraded to Jelly Bean last night, and I honestly can't believe how smooth this thing runs. I am also running EOS 3 Nightly 113. Google finally got the transitions between screens and apps right.

NewAge

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I upgraded to Jelly Bean last night, and I honestly can't believe how smooth this thing runs. I am also running EOS 3 Nightly 113. Google finally got the transitions between screens and apps right.

The transitions on the Gnex are great but on Xoom they don't look as good, the screen is to big or something. I turned them off in developer options for a slight speed increase but left them on on Gnex.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The transitions on the Gnex are great but on Xoom they don't look as good, the screen is to big or something. I turned them off in developer options for a slight speed increase but left them on on Gnex.

Maybe you didn't wipe your Xoom when you upgraded to JB. They are perfect on my Xoom. If the screen is too big on the Xoom, then I don't want to be right. My Galaxy Note is almost as big as the little Nexus 7.

stebog

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, I already own a Nexus 10. The wifi Xoom gets updates just as fast as the Nexus phones. Offhand, I can't think of any carrier branding or bloat. Now if they come out with a Nexus 10.1, I'm all over it.

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As far as I'm concerned, I already own a Nexus 10. The wifi Xoom gets updates just as fast as the Nexus phones. Offhand, I can't think of any carrier branding or bloat. Now if they come out with a Nexus 10.1, I'm all over it.

For all intents and purposes, the Xoom is just like any Nexus device.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

djf_dc

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Confused. Have a Xoom, a galaxy nexus and a nexus 7 - prices low to high in the same order - all running Jelly Bean.

The galaxy nexus goes in my pocket for short trips and golf, the nexus 7 goes on long trips and the Xoom always stays home. They all are quite good - so beyond price I would say how far you go if you get out - is the second indicator or choice.

And price is both first and third ;-)

cunnie84

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
all im sayin is google still use the xoom for developing, so it must be pretty darn good, and as far as updates go, just root it and join team eos with ther jellybean custom rom. it rocks my world!! my xoom is and i quote my friend here "way better than his new ipad" i completely agree with him on everything apart from that damn retina screen, its contrast and sharpness are next to none, IMO keep your xoom and root it :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae