Newbie to tablets with a Xoom with CM Stingray mod questions

cyclicfever

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a moded and rooted xoom off the bay and it has a very bloated memory problem. When it arived, it looked like it had nothing but the mod installed but with the data cord and laptop I have found that I have only 8Gb of free space. I've found all kind if of files and pics and junk files from the former owner. How can i reformat so I can get my space back and just have the cm mod.

Thanks for any advice.

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I am on the EOS 4 JB 4.2.1 Stingray Mod, and can do a factory reset within the settings, backup and reset, then select factory data reset.

Sent from my EOS 4 LTE Xoom using Tapatalk HD

cyclicfever

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
Thanks leever, after I've done this the tablet reports that over 20gb is used and only 8gb is free space. I still have large files of the previous owner with pictures and 8 or 10 zip files of cm updates. Like you I would have expected all this stuff to have been overwritten and the space freed up. Its almost like its been partioned. I can only find this stuff when connected to a PC.

cyclicfever

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
As I'm trying to learn about rooting and ROMs it got me thinking that my trouble might be from the xoom not being factory reset before the last owner flashed cm to it. This should be done right?

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
That is what I did, and then restored my save files when I went from stock to the custom rom.

If you have access to the files when I you connect to the PC, can't you delete the files you do not want?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
The CM updates are from the nightly builds for the custom rom, if your current build is stable, there is no reason to keep the older updates.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

cyclicfever

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
That what's strange, after I did the factory reset all of these other guys files are still here, pics, ebooks, downloaded music and old zip cm updates and I don't know what else. Xoom is reporting only 8gb free space after the reset and I have only the bare bones apps so not only does this thing seem bloated but I don't know what can be trashed. Like I said this junk is alway here after a reset. What could I be missing?

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
That what's strange, after I did the factory reset all of these other guys files are still here, pics, ebooks, downloaded music and old zip cm updates and I don't know what else. Xoom is reporting only 8gb free space after the reset and I have only the bare bones apps so not only does this thing seem bloated but I don't know what can be trashed. Like I said this junk is alway here after a reset. What could I be missing?

I would have to recommend you check out the CM forums at xda-developers:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=948

But, I would do a system wipe and fresh rom flash from recovery. This would wipe all the the data on the Xoom and reinstall the ROM. Do your homework, as this option can brick your Xoom if not done correctly.

Sent from my LTE Xoom EOS 4 JB 4.2.1 using Tapatalk HD

cyclicfever

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I would have to recommend you check out the CM forums at xda-developers:

Xoom Android Development - xda-developers

But, I would do a system wipe and fresh rom flash from recovery. This would wipe all the the data on the Xoom and reinstall the ROM. Do your homework, as this option can brick your Xoom if not done correctly.

That's what I was thinking about, learning how to wipe it completely and do a fresh rom flash. Thanks for the advise. I bought this second hand wanting to use it as a learning tool but didn't know just much learning I was in for,lol.
I was hoping this might have been maybe a common thing, that some simple yet easily reversable mistake was made when flashing to a new rom or something of the sort.

leever6000

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
That's what I was thinking about, learning how to wipe it completely and do a fresh rom flash. Thanks for the advise. I bought this second hand wanting to use it as a learning tool but didn't know just much learning I was in for,lol.
I was hoping this might have been maybe a common thing, that some simple yet easily reversable mistake was made when flashing to a new rom or something of the sort.

I really like the Team EOS 4 JB 4.2.1 ROM:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2088705

Good luck and have fun with it.

cyclicfever

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
*update*
OK, I've got it now! The previous owner had combined all his data with the cm nighty build ROM so factory reset was including it after every wipe. It was a 9/27 build from 2012. I used another cm ROM from November and found it unstable on my zm600. Found an EOS 3.0 stable build from June I think, and love it.
Really like the subtle differences of the EOS build. Now I'd like to find out if I can put jb on my 600,eg eos 4.
Also starting to look into the radio mod for my non root droid 3 for WiFi tethering.
Thanks again for the advice.