Motorola Tablet with AOSP 3.0 'Honeycomb'

Prof-KOS

May 22, 2010
Visit site
Andy Rubin and Prototype Moto Tablet with Honeycomb.

I love the look of Honeycomb so far. In fact, I'm surprised how much he showed, especially since it the official day they announced Gingerbread.

Here's what I saw:

- New unlock screen
This looks very nice. I like the swipe in any direction. It's very minimalistic. Very cool.​
- Task switcher
One of the lacks that I've always felt Android has is a good Alt-Tab-like solution for switching between open apps. I'm happy to see something that looked like that to me.​
- Multi-paned apps.
This was kind of a given for a tablet, but it's nice to see its inclusion.​
- Soft buttons
Having a tablet not have a right way up is kind of cool. I really liked how the home, back, menu, search buttons moved with the screen.​

I was also very impressed with the Tablet hardware as well. I did vow never to buy another Moto product after the Telus Milestone fiasco, but I could be well tempted by this device.

skyyaa

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Good stuff. I seriously contemplated picking up the Galaxy Tab this holiday but after lots of research and deliberation (including several trips to the Verizon store ) I decided to hold off for the "Everest" tablet from Motorola and 3.0. Was thinking I'd have to wait until CES in January to get my first glimpse of it (or Honeycomb), so this was an awesome surprise.

Couple things to add to your observations. Glad to see a real break from the normal 2.x look - definitely looks like more than just "a giant phone," which so many people complained about when the iPad came out and also with the GTab.

1) Google Search (w/mic icon) - looks to be pinned to the top left corner of the desktop.

2) "Apps" Icon - similarly pinned to the top right corner of the desktop, replacing the launcher drawer. Also a mystery icon to the right.

3) Screen Rotation - YES. This is small, sure, but it's always annoyed me about Android that they didn't implement that little bit extra bit of polish. Issue resolved.

4) Notifications Trey - lower right corner looks to hold the notification bar, with a calendar reminder icon, gmail icon, and some other mystery icons at certain points. At 0:32 it kind of looks like maybe there's a Menu soft key in the corner (horizontal lines stacked over each other) but it's unclear. Also a clock in lower right would make some sense since I don't see one anywhere else, but again can't tell.

5) Back, Home, Task Manager Buttons? - lower left looks to be where we see the soft buttons Back, Home (although restylized icons), and a new one. The third button looks to access a task switcher of sorts. You can see what looks to be a list of open apps at 5:09ish. Also in the beginning (although not later curiously) there's a black notch above the Home icon that protrudes out of the bar into the Gmail app screen (indicating... what?).

6) Size - definitely looks smaller than an iPad (at least in terms of width when in portrait mode, length might be the same) but larger than a GTab. Also Rubin seemed to have no trouble holding it in one hand (in a bit of a weird grip I might add), indicating it could be pretty light (try doing that grip with an iPad!).

All in all, very impressed and happy with what looks to be a total redesign of the UI to make better use of the tablet's screen size and power.

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
This is definitely the tablet I have been waiting for. It will have all the bells and whistles needed with the latest native tablet software all running on an nvidia duel core processor. I just hope it will be on Verizon and offer a month to month 4g plan with wifi. One thing I can't figure out is how big is that screen? I though there was going to be a 7 and 10 inch version and this one looks in between...dunno

NexusQ

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Was going to wait for a chrome os netbook just due to my lack of enthusiasm for the galaxy tab but now seeing the video I think I will have to wait and see. It looks very attractive and could easily see myself using it as an everyday device replacing my phone for time killing and if it has swipe then note taking.

grajasekar

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
Slim shady, the real tablet stands up! Samsung tabs are bomb too at 7 inch.....

Lol.

I thought the Samsung Galaxy Tab was the end of the world when it came to Android tablets. But I'm happy to see a kinda larger-looking (maybe 9 inches) tablet that has a nice looking unlock screen along with that task-switcher. Maybe they'll put out more hardware details soon.

Gee

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Looks like 3.0 is the move towards the newer Google TV look. Make sense since Google TV IS Android.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Joelist

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
Also being Motorola we should get a better screen and more solid build (I really like the build quality on my Droid X).

CypherMax

Oct 20, 2010
Visit site
In my opinion this tablet will be the "flagship" android tablet. I think it will really give the ipad and ipad 2 even some real competition. From all I've seen this really Looks like the tablet for me. Time will tell if motorola has a winner on its hands.

pack7483#AC

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
I wish Verizon would offer the 7" as a phone replacement that could be used as either a speaker phone or Bluetooth headset with a phone type subsidised price and unlimited 3g. I have an upgrade on my second business # dumb cell burning a hole in my pocket that I rarely take calls on, but need the number to remain active.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
I have a feeling that the size was 10 inches, but like the Viewsonic G Tablet. A little wider than the iPad.

I think the opposite actually. I think it is actually narrower than the ipad. The screen resolution is supposedly 1280 x 800 which is a 16:10 ratio. The iPad is 1024 x 768 which is 4:3 aspect ratio. So if it is the same height (or length), the Moto would probably be narrower by a bit. The Droid and Droid X are even a bit more "widescreen" (16:9) ... Motorola is known for this type of wider aspect ratio on Droids lately.

If you meant the thickness in your "A little wider than the iPad", than never mind ... :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante