Basic info that I can't seem to find about the XOOM

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
So maybe I can't find these answers because no one knows yet....but it seems like the basic size specs would be known since there were some hands on at CES.

I was looking for:

Xoom thickness (depth)
Weight
Battery life
Compatibility (or any version of) Microsoft Office

Maybe I am just asking for info that hasn't been released...but with this thing expected in the next 2-3 weeks I would of thought we would know this stuff by now. But what do I know! :confused:

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
More info here too ..:

Here is Motorola's XOOM page. It has lots of info on it.

For Office ... Documents-to-Go or other such Android Office apps will work on the XOOM, and I bet will soon have tablet optimized versions ..

Reactions: accordngs

accordngs

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Xoom specs... if I helped hit the thanks button.

Motorola XOOM Specs

Definitely helpful.

It's hard to get an idea by looking at pictures....but now I can compare to an iPad, which I have held in my hand.

Essentially the XOOM weighs the same as the iPad, but is thinner, and has that awesome 16:9 display.

Pretty awesome. This thing just keeps making me think more and more I have to get it. Just need to find out battery life, and official price on this thing.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
1 more spec sheet / comparison ..

infographic-xoom-ipad-playbook.png

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
What is dlna? Also, what is the gyroscope used for?
DLNA is used for media sharing, and the gyroscope would be primarily beneficial with certain games.

wow the playbook gives the xoom a run for its money
until the consumer realizes the following...

"For the time being, Bridge will provide the PlayBook with all of its email, calendar, and BBM functionality — there are no stand-alone applications on the device."

Yes, they are essentially limiting potential PlayBook purchasers to existing BlackBerry customers.

Reactions: Dunbar

Auzo

May 25, 2010
Visit site
What is dlna? Also, what is the gyroscope used for?

Just to elaborate a little more on the gyroscope, it gives a very very accurate description of relative motion around an axis, i.e. rotation. So if I am playing a game where i need to tilt my phone side to side to steer for example the gyroscope can be used to very finely interpret your request. This has been traditionally done using data from the accelerometer, but that data doesn't have the fidelity of the data from a gyroscope (for rotational motion).

So in addition to a gyroscope we have an accelerometer which gives us the relative linear motion (side to side and forward and back) and gravitational force (which way is down), GPS to tell us an absolute point on the earth that we are, and an eCompass to allow us to set our frame of reference to that of North. When we combine all these sensors we are able to very precisely determine our position in 3D space on earth.

Here's a great article going into the nitty gritty details of using the gyroscope and accelerometer.
Accelerometer & Gyro Tutorial

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks cKeegan and Auzo for the information.

cKeegan, could you expand on your explanation of ldna? How does this allow for media sharing? What devices would it interact with?

Thanks!

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks cKeegan and Auzo for the information.

cKeegan, could you expand on your explanation of ldna? How does this allow for media sharing? What devices would it interact with?

Thanks!

Good explanation here: DLNA

I use it with my Fascinate to shoot pics and video to my DLNA enabled TV wirelessly. There are many uses.

shingi_70

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Hardware wise, yes. Software wise, I don't know. I think for some people, it will be great. For most, not so much.

Side note, I don't hate the iPad, but it was pretty funny the amount of 'X' it had

considering its a gen 1 device competing with newer devices.

the ipads biggest strength is the ability to but a wi-fi or 3G. also the 3G is pay as you go not needing a contract.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
considering its a gen 1 device competing with newer devices.

the ipads biggest strength is the ability to but a wi-fi or 3G. also the 3G is pay as you go not needing a contract.

Even with that, I only see them fixing maybe half of them. Many are things that are in apples policy to not support flat out. Again, not hating on the iPad, I really like them, but I hate people who say it's got every feature anyone would ever need in it.

Dunbar

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how long the Xoom is likely to take to boot up? Will it be like a laptop, where you turn it on and have to wait 5 minutes for everything to load, or will you be able to turn it on and start working immediately?

Thanks!

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how long the Xoom is likely to take to boot up? Will it be like a laptop, where you turn it on and have to wait 5 minutes for everything to load, or will you be able to turn it on and start working immediately? Thanks!
With ten hours of video playback capability, the battery life will not be an issue. We will be keeping this "on", but in standby during the day. Wake up will be near instantaneous, just as it is with a smart phone.

From a "power off" cold start, I would expect a delay similar to what we experience with our smart phones as well.

We'll soon find out for sure!

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The 3G on the Xoom will not require a contract either, since Verizon markets their data plans as "no obligation, month-to-month data plans, starting at $20 for 1GB".

Does anyone know how long the Xoom is likely to take to boot up? Will it be like a laptop, where you turn it on and have to wait 5 minutes for everything to load, or will you be able to turn it on and start working immediately?

Thanks!
Based on this video, from power button to lock screen takes about 9 seconds. Further load time would likely depend on how many widgets you have loaded into your home screen. Even 20 seconds would be awesome in my opinion. I honestly don't know how many times I'll completely shut it down though.

YouTube - Android Honeycomb Intro Animation

bojutt

May 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok so I am interested in the video part. I see in the specs it plays h264. We are leaving on vacation 2/25 so I want to get some movies from our BluRay collection encoded and ready to put on it the day it comes out. Currently our movies are .m2ts full 1080p rips about 25 gig each. Does anyone have any recommendations for me. What format should I put them in and what size of video? 720p? .mp4?

Thanks!!
Joe

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok so I am interested in the video part. I see in the specs it plays h264. We are leaving on vacation 2/25 so I want to get some movies from our BluRay collection encoded and ready to put on it the day it comes out. Currently our movies are .m2ts full 1080p rips about 25 gig each. Does anyone have any recommendations for me. What format should I put them in and what size of video? 720p? .mp4?

Thanks!!
Joe
Hey Joe, I'm doing similar for an upcoming biz trip to Asia.

Playing it safe... you can't go wrong with .mp4. Go for 720p, but again, play safe with 30fps. I've yet to see a mobile device supporting "true" 720p (60fps).

Doing that will ensure you're on your way with movies to watch. If you find out you can do more, oh well, there's always next vacation. But you won't be left high and dry for this one.

Edit: Of course you can save space to take more movies with you by reducing resolution, but that goes without saying. ;-)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes