Changed Minds?

wbonnefond

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I know a bunch of people weren't planning on getting the Xoom when it came out because of pricing. But did anyone who planned on getting one change their mind after seeing all the new tablets that are getting released? I'm definitely having second thoughts

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I know a bunch of people weren't planning on getting the Xoom when it came out because of pricing. But did anyone who planned on getting one change their mind after seeing all the new tablets that are getting released? I'm definitely having second thoughts

I was so gun ho, I think I'll still get it but probably plan on selling it on ebay there is just that feeling that by the time this thing gets released there's going to be something way better dropping that will make this thing cost half the price.

vetteman30

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I have been messing around with (and up) a Nook Color for the last two weeks. I was having a lot of problems so had pretty much locked on to picking up a Xoom when it launches.

Yesterday I successfully loaded the Honeycomb v04 preview ROM on an SD card and I am actually pretty happy with it as it stands. The word is that the devs are getting this ROM even more stable and once Google releases the official code for HC it should get even better. Plus I have the option to flash it to internal memory, which will make it even more amazing.

Given all the announcements of new tablets and the what seems to be, overly high pricing on tablets, I now think I am going to keep the NC until the dust settles and be happy with my $250 Android Honeycomb Tablet.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
No, I am pretty much set on getting the Xoom. I am liking the HDMI out feature and some tablets are not getting this feature. I like the design and the sleekness. I also like the idea of having 3G on the go plus the option to upgrade to 4G if I so choose.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I'm still getting the Xoom.

-TouchPad, won't be out until the summer, plus I would rather stay with the Android ecosystem

-Playbook, I had a Samsung Tab at 7" and it was very nice, however at the same time I would prefer the 10.1 screen. My tablet will mostly stay at home so portability is not an issue. I also do not care to get into the blackberry ecosystem, even though the rumors of Android apps being usable is very enticing.

-GSlate, looks to be as much or more than the Xoom, slightly smaller, however early reports are the screen quality is so so. I want Samsung quality display, which Motorola seems to be providing with the Xoom from early reports.

-Galaxy Tab 10.1, no idea on price or release? They say "competitive" however their initial $599 offering of the Tab was too much given better options were right around the corner. If they are in the $499-$599 ballpark I would rather have the Xoom for its screen real estate and microsd expandability.

So, my logic; I am sticking with the Xoom as of now and will preorder on Thursday if it really happens.

anon(18050)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was pretty much set on getting the Xoom, but the lack of a decent entry level price point has me pretty much saying 'No' now. Had the Xoom be a couple hundred $'s cheaper, yes I would be buying it. Even if it was only the WiFi version.

As is now, I'll be buying the first stock tab (I don't want any special UI on Honeycomb, it just doesn't need one) that hits for around $500and has decent hardware. I prefer a 10 in. but am not opposed to buying a 7 in. tab.

I'm not a huge fan of WebOS, it looks good but I don't like the way it handles certain things so that mean no TouchPad for me. I'm even a smaller fan of thew BB OS, and as good as the Playbook looks it just doesn't do it for me. The rumored Android emulation is tempting, but it won't be ready till at least the second half of the year and is just that, an emulator. It's not going to run Android apps nearly as good and apparently they'll have to be repacked by the Dev to work in the emulator.

The G-Slate looks tempting, but I'll hold off on a decision until I can get a hands on. The Galaxy Tab 10.1 has piqued my interest, but I'm still on the edge because... well, it's Samsung. The Xoom to me is still by far the #1 contender, it just needs a WiFi only version soon after launch.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am still getting the Xoom, what I am wondering is if it will be available at Verizon Wireless stores at the same date that BB has it.

slopokdave

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I am still getting the Xoom, what I am wondering is if it will be available at Verizon Wireless stores at the same date that BB has it.

What do you think would be the advantage to this, if any? Perhaps not buy it activated?

Even if that were the case, I think I will still get it at Best Buy. My local Best Buy mobile manager is excellent and always takes care of her customers.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I decided to bail on the Xoom with a price of $799.99, I will get the first tablet that has very similar harware as the Xoom when I can get it around $600.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What do you think would be the advantage to this, if any? Perhaps not buy it activated?

Even if that were the case, I think I will still get it at Best Buy. My local Best Buy mobile manager is excellent and always takes care of her customers.

I have the same type of relationship with the manager at my Verizon Wireless store.

Live2ride883

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site

Some where in the online disaster the Xoom rumors caused this weekend I saw it was gonna be cheaper at Verizon Wireless stores.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Still getting the Xoom on launch day. Truly, I still don't see any competitors. Google chose the Motorola Xoom as the device they were going to use when creating Honeycomb. This carries the same principal as their Nexus devices, where they build (or revise) an OS around a specific piece of hardware.

HP TouchPad - I really dislike the 4:3 screen ratio, lower resolution, lack of HDMI, and lack of GPS. At $699, I can easily justify an extra $100 for the Xoom.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 - Again with the lack of HDMI, plus this lacks USB. Not a fan of propietary ports either. I do like the design on the back the tablet. I truly think if they planned to beat the price of the Xoom, they would have announced the price when they announced the product. How else would they plan to stop people from buying the Xoom in 10 days?

Toshiba Tablet - I do think this looks like a worthy competitor, but who knows when and how much? Spring could mean anywhere from April-June. I personally can't stand when tablets default to portrait, and all of the ports on the side conclude that the Toshiba will dock in portrait. I've actually always thought this was the iPad's biggest failure, other than the iPod Touch OS of course.

LG G-Slate - Still don't know a price, but I think they are going to milk the 3D capability as a way to charge more. We're already seeing price in Germany, which converts to roughly $1,075US (pre-VAT). Even if the US got it for 30% below Germany, you're still looking at about $945. Plus, it's on T-Mobile. (edit: not that t-mobile is bad, but they're not my carrier)

Asus - I just don't know about the Transformer or Slider. They look fine, but most of the price ranges given at CES were going to put it close to Xoom pricing territory anyway. Neither are really expected to launch before April/May.

Notion Ink/Viewsonic/Huawei/Archos/Vizio - None are truly competitors to the Xoom. They all fall short in resolution, build quality (per plenty of hands-on testimony from tech sites), Android Market out of the box, etc. All, or at least most, are claiming to make Honeycomb available, but we've obviously heard that before. Plus, I don't believe any of these companies have confirmed that it would be vanilla Honeycomb.

Last edited:

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Some where in the online disaster the Xoom rumors caused this weekend I saw it was gonna be cheaper at Verizon Wireless stores.
It's not likely. Verizon can't set minimum advertised pricing standards ($799.99), and then charge lower themselves. At least they've never done in the past that I know of.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
It's not likely. Verizon can't set minimum advertised pricing standards ($799.99), and then charge lower themselves. At least they've never done in the past that I know of.

They can if they want to. It's just unlikely because Verizon is going to want to make the largest profit margin they can get out of it.

Maikai.Guy

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Was 100% XOOM, but wavering now. But it's not because another tablet is catching my eye.

There is an old saying. It's not originally english, but roughly translated: "If someone steals on the way in, they will steal while they are with you, and steal on the way out."

It's not that Motorola is "stealing", but they are showing apathy, if not arrogance, toward their potential customers. If they show apathy and arrogance toward me now... BEFORE they get my money... why should I expect good customer service AFTER they have my money.

They may have lost my business.

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Was 100% XOOM, but wavering now. But it's not because another tablet is catching my eye.

There is an old saying. It's not originally english, but roughly translated: "If someone steals on the way in, they will steal while they are with you, and steal on the way out."

It's not that Motorola is "stealing", but they are showing apathy, if not arrogance, toward their potential customers. If they show apathy and arrogance toward me now... BEFORE they get my money... why should I expect good customer service AFTER they have my money.

They may have lost my business.
Honestly, you are whining quite a bit lately. Just understand that Motorola isn't doing anything, the only reason you know anything about what has been going on over the past 2-3 weeks, is due to the fact that you read Engadget or other comparable sites.

The general public still doesn't know price or release date, but they will likely know this week. Would you rather have Motorola announce the exact release date at CES, only for it to get overshadowed by the 5-7 tablets announced since then? If they would have officially announced the price back at CES, everyone would have completely written it off. However, now it won't look that bad compared to the rumored price of the TouchPad, G-Slate, or Galaxy Tab 10.1.

All of the rumors will become irrelevant once Motorola makes the official announcement, which should obviously be this week. They'll let the European Xoom excitement die down a little bit, and then hit the tech headlines again with a US price/availability announcement.

It's all strategic.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781