3g/Wifi Xoom vs. wifi Xoom what are you picking and why

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
What model is everyone getting and why??

I'm leaning towards the wifi only model. 90% of the place I will be going to will have a wifi that I am able to connect to and to those times I do not, I dont mind spending the extra time to connect to my droid tether.

However in all honesty I will probably sell this tablet in 6 months and buy the next newest and greatest (thats the life of a gadget nerd!) So my question would it be buy the higher model in hopes to sell it for more or buy the lower model (spending less) then trying to sell that later on. Am I making any sense here? What situation means less money out of my pocket

xxraffyxx

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
Heres a question.... since the 3g is upgradeable to 4g for free and since its a hardware upgrade will the wifi only version be upgradeable to 4g for a extra fee?

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
I want the wifi only as I don't need/want the 3g but.... They never said the wifi will be here in the states. Also a date was never talked about. It could come but who knows when. By the time it drops something better might be out. Im going to get the xoom on launch unless the wifi only is confirmed to come here/out in a month. I know its a waste of 200 bucks but I want it now! Anyway just sold my laptop I don't use and with the xoom will never use again for 250 so its makes up the difference.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Heres a question.... since the 3g is upgradeable to 4g for free and since its a hardware upgrade will the wifi only version be upgradeable to 4g for a extra fee?

That's a good question. I don't know how these things are constructed but, if it's modular I don't see why not but, I'm not sure.

I was thinking how cool it would be to buy a wi-fi model and, then later upgrade straight to 4G LTE. That would be too good to be true. By the the time the wi-fi model is available, 4G might be ready also so, I don't know if it would matter.

Merrell#AC

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
Going for the wifi model... Then get the thunderbolt and use it's 4g mobile hotspot when traveling!! Use the extra 200 bucks for the thunderbolt and have a feature that I can cancel or add as nessesary..

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
3G/4G version for two reasons. First, I don't like to wait for technology, finding that getting it early and actually using it beats waiting for the next big thing/new version/better price, which of course if taken to its logical conclusion means waiting forever. We have no idea when a wifi-only version will become available, and I doubt I'd wait more than a month to save $200 regardless.

Second, I'd rather spend as much as I can reasonably afford to have the best that's available than under-buy and regret it later. In this case, if I can afford to spend $600 on a tablet, I should be able to afford to spend $800.

frenzy757

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
the fact that the 4g upgrade is included helps me want the 3g model...

however, I have the Nexus S so the hotspot is included etc...BUT I dont want to burn through batteries if I am using the hotspot...but I could just buy some more batteries...decisions decisions...honestly, I will probably go with the one that comes out first.

Parker9706

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I want the Motorola Xoom but might not be able to get it. No doubt I would go with the wifi version because the 3g one is way to much and I have a Verizon mobile hotspot which can give internet to 5 devices.

E_man

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting wifi. I doubt the resale difference will be near $200, and I almost never use 3G, much less want to spend more.

18TGTI04

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Wifi only if it comes to the states. If we only get the 3g/4g here I will not get a xoom because its bull**** the Motorola thinks it can suck extra money from the Americans by not releasing the wifi version here.

Mudvayne622

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I will be getting the 3g/4g just since im buying without a contract and if I want to have 3g turned on its a simple phone call, $20 and im able to use 3g for a month. I could always tether to my Droid X but wheres the fun in that?