How will you use the Xoom on an average day?

Cretz

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
My commute is about 1 hour 15-30 minutes to and from work and I sometimes strain my eyes browsing the internet on my smartphones 3.7 inch screen. having a larger device is goingto be nice. At work I probably won't even use it except during lunch to play a casual game of angry birds or something. If Netflix ever comes to android I'm definitely going to subscribe so I can watch movies and TV shows from the comfort of my bed. The only laptop I have is the CR-48 which can't play any videos besides those on the web as flash videos. I also plan on going to graduate school this fall and tablets are a nice form factor for e-readers.

Reactions: Jerry Hildenbrand

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I will probably use mine for watchin a few youtube videos when i'm not at home or when i dont feel like getting on my computer. If netflix comes to the xoom I will definetly be using it to watch movies. I will probably use it a little in college too for some light note taking or something of that sort. Also, i'll probably play a few games, read a book or two, and browse the internet.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Def coffee tablet piece, I'm always looking up information about what's on TV from discovery type shows and items from Pawn Sars, my g/f likes to look up things about actors.

As well, I've over loaded my Evo with apps with all the new games and am out of space, so I'm looking forward to the mobile style gaming on the 10" screen.

It will also be nice to keep up on rss feeds, email, forms, stats from my job without having to use the laptop/desktop/phone.

I really need this to have netflix on it.

cody_21

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Oh and another thing, i hope mlb decides to release an mlb at bat app on the xoom. I will definetly be using it to keep up with scores and watch games.

qnet

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll use mine for email, browsing the internet, watching movies on flights, listening to music and, reading books & magazines.

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
can I dl and run IE9 as a secondary browser? and will it work like my laptop browser? also can dl and run Microsoft office 2010on it? is a tablet more for videos and games or can it really be productive like my laptop?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
I honestly don't know... :)

Seriously, I think I'll use it much I use my phone, except more comfortably: light(ish) browsing, e-reading, watching video, email triage, newsfeed triage, that sort of thing. Mostly, I'm getting it because my eyes are getting a bit tired (i.e., old), and so I'm going to use my phone when I'm 100% mobile and the tablet everywhere else.

I'm debating whether I'll leave it at home or take it to work. I could certainly use it in meetings for taking light notes and recordings, although I'd certainly rather have a pen for that. If it doesn't work that way, I'll keep using my laptop and leave it at home.

Really, this is probably the one thing I've bought in awhile that qualifies 90% as a toy. I'm not sure it'll be for really productive use, except for annotating/highlighting books as I read them (which I'm really, really looking forward to). I do that on my Epic using the Nook client, but again the screen's a little small. Being able to do it on the Xoom will be awesome, I think...

wynand32

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
can I dl and run IE9 as a secondary browser? and will it work like my laptop browser? also can dl and run Microsoft office 2010on it? is a tablet more for videos and games or can it really be productive like my laptop?

Natively, no, it won't do any of that. Think of it as an Android phone, only bigger (and yes, that's a real oversimplification).

However, install some remote access/control software on it (e.g., LogMeIn) and you'll be able to do those things no problem by accessing the software on a PC. I plan to use mine for that immediately...

Reactions: E_man

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
unfortunately my pc is my.laptop so I don't see point in carry two.in other words just a big expensive toy
Natively, no, it won't do any of that. Think of it as an Android phone, only bigger (and yes, that's a real oversimplification).

However, install some remote access/control software on it (e.g., LogMeIn) and you'll be able to do those things no problem by accessing the software on a PC. I plan to use mine for that immediately...

Arun01

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
i will for sure be gaming on mine..I can't wait to see how Asphalt 5 looks on this baby..!!! browsing the net...everything !!!

ckeegan003

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I personally think this is all new territory for a lot of us, and we really don't know what it's capable of, and therefore don't really know how we'll use it.

Personally, my primary goal is to figure out how to do this...

I'm on the road for my job A LOT, not necessarily overnight, but rarely in the office. It's pretty common for me to receive pdf files via e-mail, typically single pages (authorizations, disclosures, etc) that require my signature. I'm hoping that I will be able to sign these, and immediately e-mail them back to the people that need them. Rather than running back to the office or home to print, sign, scan, e-mail.

Given Adobe's obvious relationship with Android, I would love to see them come out with an Adobe Pro app, specifically optimized for tablets.

Reactions: Arun01

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a NookColor and what I do is read some books, read email, and do a little web surfing. I think I would use the Xoom for similar activities.

What I have found (via the NC and iPad) is tablets are great for content viewing, but not so good at text content creation, beyond short messages. This is similar to my phone. As a results, I find I read emails and posts, and make short replies, but your really need something with a keyboard for larger amounts of text.

Jerry

cr3amy

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
What I have found (via the NC and iPad) is tablets are great for content viewing, but not so good at text content creation, beyond short messages. This is similar to my phone. As a results, I find I read emails and posts, and make short replies, but your really need something with a keyboard for larger amounts of text.
We'll see when we get the chance to use swiftkey on the xoom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles